Kamakzie

Agent claims Lions wanted 97.1 to fire Mike Valenti

I like to listen to 97.1 the ticket and I even like Mike Valenti most of the time. He gets on my nerves sometimes and I disagree a lot but I do like the guy. If this is true which I have no doubt it probably is, what a bush league front office the Lions have. I seriously doubt Valenti's agent would make such a claim if they didn't have some kind of documented proof. My thing is if the Lions don't want criticism about their football team then win some damn games! 63-124 since they've been on The Ticket. What would there be to be positive about... I like the fact that CBS management took a stand and didn't fire Valenti which they easily could have done just to keep the Lions under contract. Really despicable on the Lions part.

Agent says Detroit Lions wanted 97.1 the Ticket to fire Mike Valenti

I have no respect for Valenti. He's not even a Lions fan. He's a Giants fan, and refers to them as "your Detroit Lions". He couldn't get away with his schtick in Boston, Dallas, San Fran, Seattle, etc...they would run him out of town. He loves himself some Mike Valenti, and is really full of himself. If I were to choose between him or the Lions, my allegiance is toward the Lions. Screw Mike Valenti.

I believe there is some precedence for this. Ask Mark Champion.

Champion worked for the team. They had every right to make sure that he was good pr. Dan Miller is much better, anyways.

Champion worked for the team. They had every right to make sure that he was good pr. Dan Miller is much better, anyways.

IMO, I wouldn't say Miller is much better than Champion.

I believe there is some precedence for this. Ask Mark Champion.

Art Regnar, Gregg Henson, Doug Karsch, Scott Anderson and Mike Stone all confirmed that Bill Keenist (Lions PR man) would regularly call into their station program director or to the hosts themselves and try to bully them into a narrative.

Valenti is right, the media and truth shouldn't be allowed to be bullied into a false narrative or distorted reality.

Valenti doesn't have to be a fan. That's not his job. He isn't there to promote the lions.

Valenti doesn't have to be a fan. That's not his job. He isn't there to promote the lions.

He isn't my favorite host by any stretch, but I definitely agree with this. I, often times, hate listening to fans report on the Lions...Dan Leach for example is always sunshine and rainbows towards the Lions even when they are playing awful...that is obnoxious. I would much rather listen to unbiased commentary on the Lions, national hosts/anchors have less of a reason to skew their commentary to fit a narrative or cater to what they think the audience wants to hear.

He isn't my favorite host by any stretch, but I definitely agree with this. I, often times, hate listening to fans report on the Lions...Dan Leach for example is always sunshine and rainbows towards the Lions even when they are playing awful...that is obnoxious. I would much rather listen to unbiased commentary on the Lions, national hosts/anchors have less of a reason to skew their commentary to fit a narrative or cater to what they think the audience wants to hear.

I agree that I hate listening to fans talk about the lions. Fans are always one of two things. They are all sunshine and its annoying. Or they are all poo-storm, and its equally annoying. Valenti falls into camp 2, and I very much dislike Valenti, because he has always acted like the organization has hurt him. While this is fine for a fan, who the organization has actually hurt, I hold him to the standard of being a professional. Just to cherry pick an example, last week the lions beat the packers and he came out super negative on the team for winning. If they had lost, he would have also come out negative, as how they haven't won there in 26 years and that's pathetic.

Even last year when they got screwed in the playoffs, rather than talk about how they underperformed, or Suh didn't show up in a big game, he came out attacking the organization for not attacking the NFL (which is never going to happen, even the great Robert Kraft settled with the NFL about brady). His schtick is to be negative about the lions organization no matter what. It's lazy. It's boring. I turn it off. I'd much rather see real analysis as to why they suck (and there is plenty) as opposed to crap he talks about.

Obviously the lions are in the wrong if they demanded he be fired, but they are not in the wrong for leaving. He is a grade A douche bag, so much so that the players won't interview with him.

I guess it comes down to this for me. I am certain that if the lions (by some miracle) went undefeated from here on out, to finish 9-7, then lost in the super bowl, Valenti would come out blasting them for wasting their chance at a good draft pick to build a team that can win a superbowl. He would be certain to blast them for STILL not having won a superbowl in 60 (or whatever its been) years. No doubt he'd find some way to be critical. And for that, I'm really okay with them going elsewhere. I just wish it wasn't a stupid AM station.

I agree that I hate listening to fans talk about the lions. Fans are always one of two things. They are all sunshine and its annoying. Or they are all poo-storm, and its equally annoying. Valenti falls into camp 2, and I very much dislike Valenti, because he has always acted like the organization has hurt him. While this is fine for a fan, who the organization has actually hurt, I hold him to the standard of being a professional. Just to cherry pick an example, last week the lions beat the packers and he came out super negative on the team for winning. If they had lost, he would have also come out negative, as how they haven't won there in 26 years and that's pathetic.

Even last year when they got screwed in the playoffs, rather than talk about how they underperformed, or Suh didn't show up in a big game, he came out attacking the organization for not attacking the NFL (which is never going to happen, even the great Robert Kraft settled with the NFL about brady). His schtick is to be negative about the lions organization no matter what. It's lazy. It's boring. I turn it off. I'd much rather see real analysis as to why they suck (and there is plenty) as opposed to crap he talks about.

Obviously the lions are in the wrong if they demanded he be fired, but they are not in the wrong for leaving. He is a grade A douche bag, so much so that the players won't interview with him.

I don't think he is a "poo-storm", if anything the team is a "poo-storm" and he is simply pointing it out. He wasn't alone in coming out super negative after winning last week, it was a horrible win in a very disappointing season, the game didn't save the season it meant absolutely nothing. The fact that they finally beat the Packers at Lambeau in a year that is already a waste is so Lions-esque is hurts.

Your second paragraph is wrong by every measure. Robert Kraft LAMBASTED THE NFL for the Brady ruling.

Robert Kraft tees off on Brady ruling | ProFootballTalk

Conversely, here is what Bill Ford Jr. had to say about the controversial call against the Lions:

"There's a lot I could say, and I suspect I'm better off being quiet at this point," he said.

Ford and his mother, Lions owner Martha Ford, have not spoken publicly to the team's media since taking ownership of the franchise in March following the death of her husband, William Clay Ford Sr."

Playoff loss haunts Detroit Lions vice chairman Bill Ford Jr.

The Fords absolutely should have attacked the NFL (like Kraft did when the Brady ruling was handed down) and the fact that they didn't just shows that they have no desire to transcend their current walking mat status. Valenti definitely has his faults, but he absolutely does provide analysis as to why the Lions suck, a major factor in why they suck just so happens to be because the owners haven't showed the desire or taken the steps to construct a winning football team.

I agree that he is a douche bag, but he just so happens to be a douche bag that tells the truth, at least how he sees it, and I can't fault him for that. If the organization and players don't want to be interviewed by him because he isn't afraid to ask more hardball questions and not the fluff questions that other hosts ask that is their decision...but Valenti, IMO, has two redeeming factors. 1) He is as hard on his teams as he is every other team and 2) I don't think he would be nearly as critical if the Lions actually played well. IMO (and this is purely speculation) but I highly doubt he would seek out negative things to say if the team was a perennial winner.

I guess it comes down to this for me. I am certain that if the lions (by some miracle) went undefeated from here on out, to finish 9-7, then lost in the super bowl, Valenti would come out blasting them for wasting their chance at a good draft pick to build a team that can win a superbowl. He would be certain to blast them for STILL not having won a superbowl in 60 (or whatever its been) years. No doubt he'd find some way to be critical. And for that, I'm really okay with them going elsewhere. I just wish it wasn't a stupid AM station.

This is 100% conjecture and I highly doubt to be the case. If the Lions got to the Superbowl (and didn't lose in some crazy SOL fashion) and he still went on criticizing them he would for sure lose his job, people would be furious. You assume just because he is critical of the WORST FRANCHISE IN THE HISTORY OF SPORTS he would be critical of a winning organization. Case in point, he was quite high on the Tigers throughout their winning seasons...now he still pointed out their flaws (aka bullpen...which was a consistent problem) but he picked them to win the division for many years in a row and wasn't even close to as critical of them as he is of the Lions.

Edited by EchO

I don't think he is a "poo-storm", if anything the team is a "poo-storm" and he is simply pointing it out. He wasn't alone in coming out super negative after winning last week, it was a horrible win in a very disappointing season, the game didn't save the season it meant absolutely nothing. The fact that they finally beat the Packers at Lambeau in a year that is already a waste is so Lions-esque is hurts.

Your second paragraph is wrong by every measure. Robert Kraft LAMBASTED THE NFL for the Brady ruling.

Robert Kraft tees off on Brady ruling | ProFootballTalk

Conversely, here is what Bill Ford Jr. had to say about the controversial call against the Lions:

"There's a lot I could say, and I suspect I'm better off being quiet at this point," he said.

Ford and his mother, Lions owner Martha Ford, have not spoken publicly to the team's media since taking ownership of the franchise in March following the death of her husband, William Clay Ford Sr."

Playoff loss haunts Detroit Lions vice chairman Bill Ford Jr.

The Fords absolutely should have attacked the NFL (like Kraft did when the Brady ruling was handed down) and the fact that they didn't just shows that they have no desire to transcend their current walking mat status. Valenti definitely has his faults, but he absolutely does provide analysis as to why the Lions suck, a major factor in why they suck just so happens to be because the owners haven't showed the desire or taken the steps to construct a winning football team.

I agree that he is a douche bag, but he just so happens to be a douche bag that tells the truth, at least how he sees it, and I can't fault him for that. If the organization and players don't want to be interviewed by him because he isn't afraid to ask more hardball questions and not the fluff questions that other hosts ask that is their decision...but Valenti, IMO, has two redeeming factors. 1) He is as hard on his teams as he is every other team and 2) I don't think he would be nearly as critical if the Lions actually played well. IMO (and this is purely speculation) but I highly doubt he would seek out negative things to say if the team was a perennial winner.

This is 100% conjecture and I highly doubt to be the case. If the Lions got to the Superbowl (and didn't lose in some crazy SOL fashion) and he still went on criticizing them he would for sure lose his job, people would be furious. You assume just because he is critical of the WORST FRANCHISE IN THE HISTORY OF SPORTS he would be critical of a winning organization. Case in point, he was quite high on the Tigers throughout their winning seasons...now he still pointed out their flaws (aka bullpen...which was a consistent problem) but he picked them to win the division for many years in a row and wasn't even close to as critical of them as he is of the Lions.

We both agree this is probably the worst franchise in the history of sports. No argument there.

To your first point about kraft: the only reason those second comments were ever made is because the patriots are relevant. Kraft agreed to the loss of the draft picks for the "scandal" (for the record, I thing the patriots were hosed by the lack of science). The players union forced kraft to back his QB. He didn't do it by choice.

I don't disagree that Valenti doesn't "tell the truth as he sees it". I just think his idiotic points day in and day out prove he is an idiot. We should all be critical of this organization. But to do it without reason is stupid, and thats Valenti's schtick.

Personally, do you thin ending the streak vs GB was bad for the organization? Can you honestly justify Valenti's comments on it? I think in the past we have had good banter, and I really do appreciate your criticism. I think you are reasonable. But surely you don't think the lions winning in GB was a legitimate reason to BLAST MARTHA FORD. I hate to do the all caps thing, but i listened to that show before I turned it off. he LIT INTO THE FORDS FOR WINNING IN GREEN BAY. FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFETIME(I was 3 years old the last time). and after the "horrid" win, they still held a top 3 pick.

He is a troll. That's all there is to it. Players won't interview with him. What other sports city does that happen in? Where the team carries a station where the players refuse to interview?

Personally, do you thin ending the streak vs GB was bad for the organization? Can you honestly justify Valenti's comments on it? I think in the past we have had good banter, and I really do appreciate your criticism. I think you are reasonable. But surely you don't think the lions winning in GB was a legitimate reason to BLAST MARTHA FORD. I hate to do the all caps thing, but i listened to that show before I turned it off. he LIT INTO THE FORDS FOR WINNING IN GREEN BAY. FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFETIME(I was 3 years old the last time). and after the "horrid" win, they still held a top 3 pick.

He is a troll. That's all there is to it. Players won't interview with him. What other sports city does that happen in? Where the team carries a station where the players refuse to interview?

Him complaining about the win was pretty silly but he was right about one thing the Lions did win in the records but it was really Green Bay that lost the game because the Lions did everything they could to lose, Calvin missing the onside kick, Prater missing to PAT's etc. It's just that Green Bay did even worse with the missed field goal at the end. Valenti is a loudmouth I will give you that and a douche bag a lot of the time.

Him complaining about the win was pretty silly but he was right about one thing the Lions did win in the records but it was really Green Bay that lost the game because the Lions did everything they could to lose, Calvin missing the onside kick, Prater missing to PAT's etc. It's just that Green Bay did even worse with the missed field goal at the end. Valenti is a loudmouth I will give you that and a douche bag a lot of the time.

This is asinine. I hate this crap so much. Green Bay lost more than the lions won. That is ridiculous. Please justify this statement in an objective fashion that doesn't involve the lions defense standing up. He had no point. They won. It's a 1v1. As an avid RTS game player there is no such thing as a bad win. You say Green Bay did "even worse".... surely you can't be serious. Without random chance they shouldn't have been in that game.

It is incredibly revisionist history to say green bay lost and the lions didn't win. It's the same lazy **** Valenti does. Rodgers just almost led the Packers to beat the undefeated Panthers. In Carolina. The fact is, for 1 game, the lions defense stood tall, and did their job. What was Valenti right about? He was only right that this fan base is willing to throw there team under the bus even in a good win. Pathetic.

This is asinine. I hate this crap so much. Green Bay lost more than the lions won. That is ridiculous. Please justify this statement in an objective fashion that doesn't involve the lions defense standing up. He had no point. They won. It's a 1v1. As an avid RTS game player there is no such thing as a bad win. You say Green Bay did "even worse".... surely you can't be serious. Without random chance they shouldn't have been in that game.

It is incredibly revisionist history to say green bay lost and the lions didn't win. It's the same lazy **** Valenti does. Rodgers just almost led the Packers to beat the undefeated Panthers. In Carolina. The fact is, for 1 game, the lions defense stood tall, and did their job. What was Valenti right about? He was only right that this fan base is willing to throw there team under the bus even in a good win. Pathetic.

And yes. I'll freely admit the team doesn't deserve the fanbase. That doesn't make Valenti right. He is still a dbag.

It was a win, a very ugly win. I'm just glad we got the 24 year monkey off our backs. If they play like that again this week then the Raiders are going to have a field day.

It was a win, a very ugly win. I'm just glad we got the 24 year monkey off our backs. If they play like that again this week then the Raiders are going to have a field day.

If they play like that again they will go unbeaten. Because they won. And it wasn't lucky. They were unlucky. And won.

What you can say is the defense played so incredibly there is no way its repeatable. And that is likely true. But if they happen to "play like they did when they held green bay to 16 points at labeau" well, they probably will win again.

Note:this team isn't good. They are talented (in my opinion) but they aren't good. But lets stop pretending they didn't deserve to win in Green Bay. Green Bay was lucky they had a chance to be in that game. That is a fact.

I've grown to like Valenti for the most part. He has mellowed quite a bit from his early days, and is one of the best football commentators in town, IMO. I think he's pretty objective when discussing the Lion's performance. When they're playing well, he gives them their due, like that year when he was promoting the "11-and-5 Train" until the Lions turned back into the Lions. When they suck, he's not afraid to say so.

The Lions had every right to pull their broadcast from the Ticket, but doing so for the reason they did shows just how tone-deaf and thin-skinned they are, and where their priorities lay.

Oh, and Dan Miller is one of the worst play-by-play guys I've ever heard, which I guess makes him perfect for the Lions.

If they play like that again they will go unbeaten. Because they won. And it wasn't lucky. They were unlucky. And won.

What you can say is the defense played so incredibly there is no way its repeatable. And that is likely true. But if they happen to "play like they did when they held green bay to 16 points at labeau" well, they probably will win again.

Note:this team isn't good. They are talented (in my opinion) but they aren't good. But lets stop pretending they didn't deserve to win in Green Bay. Green Bay was lucky they had a chance to be in that game. That is a fact.

One last thing, had Crosby not kicked the wounded goose and the Lions had lost they only had 10 men on the field. Caldwell needs to go at the end of the season. Just one of his many blunders.