Shinma

11/15/15. Lions at Packers, week 10. Fox 1:05pm.

So it is detrimental to tell your fan base that you hired a search firm? I think they could at least be straight with us about that. They've got to understand what a bungled PR situation it would end up being if it came out the whole "search" was nothing but a smokescreen and fabrication.

Correct and it would look that way if they do something stupid like naming White the new Lions GM.

They don't need to do anything of the sort. We would like to hear it, but they don't need to do it. And it may actually be detrimental to their search to share too much information.

Detrimental to their search? Who else is doing a GM search right now? Any person in their right mind would love to be a GM of an NFL team. There are only 32 GM positions in the NFL and right now, there is only one opening for one.

So it is detrimental to tell your fan base that you hired a search firm? I think they could at least be straight with us about that. They've got to understand what a bungled PR situation it would end up being if it came out the whole "search" was nothing but a smokescreen and fabrication.

How does letting the fans knowing they hired a search firm, or are taking any steps in looking into a given GM going to be beneficial for the Lions?

They don't owe the fans that information and we, as the fans, aren't going to do anything with that information anyway.

I would further add that any fan that is that invested in it that they feel like they need or ought to know probably should take a step back and take a deep breath.

And who are we kidding with regards to PR? It is the NFL. As long as they play on Sunday, fans are going to show up and tune in.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

Brad Gagnon ‏@Brad_Gagnon 10m10 minutes ago

Detroit had only 10 men on the field for Green Bay's game-winning field goal attempt. Lions really did everything they could to lose.

How could you possibly interpret that article as "Lions are doomed, Martha is an idiot." Who the **** cares what Sheldon white says. Martha obviously doesn't believe it, because it's a repeat of what Mayhew has said. And she fired him.

I said "IF" she believes what Sheldon White is saying, they're doomed. I didn't say I knew whether she believes it or not.

....but somehow you know that she "obviously doesn't believe" what White is saying, right?

Why is anyone even talking about Sheldon White? It is so painfully obvious that he Caldwell are just place holders til the season is over. Zero percent chance they return in any capacity.

People are talking about Sheldon White because he is the interim GM and he gladly received credit for the win yesterday and shared it publicly with Mrs. Ford, about the most ludicrous thing I've seen by way of a public statement from a Detroit sports executive in recent memory.

Why would he make such a stupid comment like crediting Mrs. Ford for the win if he didn't think that she would buy it? Whether he's right or wrong is irrelevant, it just highlights the extreme crony atmosphere of this organization.

Lions' fans had better hope you're right.

How does letting the fans knowing they hired a search firm, or are taking any steps in looking into a given GM going to be beneficial for the Lions?

They don't owe the fans that information and we, as the fans, aren't going to do anything with that information anyway.

I would further add that any fan that is that invested in it that they feel like they need or ought to know probably should take a step back and take a deep breath.

And who are we kidding with regards to PR? It is the NFL. As long as they play on Sunday, fans are going to show up and tune in.

If PR weren't beneficial to NFL teams they wouldn't invest anything into it; as it is, PR and media relations are an integral part of pro sports management, so teams must feel it's worth something.

I believe that good PR is beneficial to NFL teams' bottom lines, especially a team that is trying to turn the corner...it's a belief and I have no hard data to support that.

I really don't understand why the Lions would leave the search firm issue out there in a muddled way without settling it publicly one way or another, unless it somehow they feel that settling the matter would negatively impact their current negotiations/deliberations vis-a-vis a search firm.

There isn't anything to "believe." It's all lip service.

There isn't anything Sheldon white can do that will turn him into a desirable GM candidate. Even if the team wins more, it has little or nothing to do with Sheldon White.

The only people actually fighting for their jobs right now are the players and the coaching staff, but whether they return or not has little or nothing to do with the people currently in charge.

If the lions play well in the second half, maybe the new GM will be persuaded to keep the coaching staff in place. I doubt it, but that's their only chance.

I don't think it's fair to think that Martha ford is as incompetent as it's being suggested.

As for the search firm thing, I don't think it matters either way. I'm sure they will hire one later, but it's also possible that leadership already has a short list of candidates. Regardless, the act of hiring a search firm is not a big deal. They don't need to get some sort of big head start on the process. There aren't going to be a bunch of president and GM openings where you are afraid of being left without a chair when the music stops. And it will be far more efficient to conduct the search process when the availability of potential hires is more open at the end of the season.

The job won't be filled until January. I don't think they need to be doing much now. Yet for all we know, the current leadership is doing its due diligence on a lot of candidates and plan to have them vetted by a search firm later.

However they are operating, they don't owe the fans anything as far as disclosing the process at this point.

For me, the best thing about it is it took away the 'Stafford can't win on the road against a good team' argument.

I mean, had Green Bay won, it would have had nothing to do with Stafford's play late, but because other guys **** the bed, somehow it proves he can't win on the road against a good team or whatever.

In any event, not a huge Stafford supporter - I just dislike discussions where things like that become the narrative as evidence so and so can't win or isn't good or.....

Totally agree with this. One has to only look at Seattle on the road earlier this season as another example ( presuming they end up with a winning record ). 91 yard approx drive in clutch only to be undone by Calvin and then the refs. Yes, plenty of abject road days can be attributed to poor QB play, but this stat was a monkey on Staffords back that he didn't deserve to be carrying. Personally, I'm very happy it's gone now, and happy for Stafford that it is as well.

I'm aware of Staffords faults, but I wouldn't like to see us let him go. I think he's more than capable of playing on a successful team if a new coach/GM can create a strong O line and run game.

There isn't anything to "believe." It's all lip service.

There isn't anything Sheldon white can do that will turn him into a desirable GM candidate. Even if the team wins more, it has little or nothing to do with Sheldon White. ....

exactly. The problem with this franchise is player procurement and contract management. Even winning out the rest of this season would have absolutely nothing to do with Sheldon's White demonstrating capability for either of those.

Totally agree with this. One has to only look at Seattle on the road earlier this season as another example ( presuming they end up with a winning record ). 91 yard approx drive in clutch only to be undone by Calvin and then the refs. Yes, plenty of abject road days can be attributed to poor QB play, but this stat was a monkey on Staffords back that he didn't deserve to be carrying. Personally, I'm very happy it's gone now, and happy for Stafford that it is as well.

I'm aware of Staffords faults, but I wouldn't like to see us let him go. I think he's more than capable of playing on a successful team if a new coach/GM can create a strong O line and run game.

It'll be rather humorous in a lionesque sort of way if GB ends up 8-8 this year. Then they'll technically NOT have beat a team with a winning record on the road... but only because they beat them in GB.

I think its fair to say that White is fighting to keep his own job, which was director of player personnel. He has done a good job in signing guys off the street for the past 5 years or so.

I'd rather have 10 men defending a field goal attempt than 12.

12 men on a field goal attempt at the end of a game has worked for the Lions in the past as well...

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

If PR weren't beneficial to NFL teams they wouldn't invest anything into it; as it is, PR and media relations are an integral part of pro sports management, so teams must feel it's worth something.

I believe that good PR is beneficial to NFL teams' bottom lines, especially a team that is trying to turn the corner...it's a belief and I have no hard data to support that.

I really don't understand why the Lions would leave the search firm issue out there in a muddled way without settling it publicly one way or another, unless it somehow they feel that settling the matter would negatively impact their current negotiations/deliberations vis-a-vis a search firm.

I do not believe for a second that a typical fan's decision to attend a game or buy merchandise or support the team in general will be impacted in a significant way if and how the Lions disclose what they are doing with regards to the GM search.

I simply don't, not because PR isn't important, but because the PR aspect of the GM search is grossly overstated in my opinion. I think it has next to none -> no impact on PR.

12 men on a field goal try at the end of a game has worked for the Lions as well...

I'm blanking on what this is in reference to.

It'll be rather humorous in a lionesque sort of way if GB ends up 8-8 this year. Then they'll technically NOT have beat a team with a winning record on the road... but only because they beat them in GB.

I think they used the records going into the game as a barometer. Not the record at the end of the year.

Agreed TP, but to be fair,this franchise has a history that makes fans unwilling to assume they will make the obvious choice.

Ford Sr sure has a lot of history. Martha has a very short history, and it's pretty good.

People are talking about Sheldon White because he is the interim GM and he gladly received credit for the win yesterday and shared it publicly with Mrs. Ford, about the most ludicrous thing I've seen by way of a public statement from a Detroit sports executive in recent memory.

I am not seeing it man. I didn't hear anything Sheldon White until you posted something. They beat GB in GB for the first time since Bush Sr., and we are supposed to get bent out of shape because the interim GM is happy? I don't get it.

Also, it seems pretty damn obvious that Sheldon White would want the job, as well as countless others with NFL resumes and fans sitting behind a key board. I would be worried if White said anything different.

Why would he make such a stupid comment like crediting Mrs. Ford for the win if he didn't think that she would buy it? Whether he's right or wrong is irrelevant, it just highlights the extreme crony atmosphere of this organization.

No, it doesn't. It represents a person happy the Lions won. Again, you're way over complicating this. Nothing to see here.

I agree with TP fan on this.

But I tend to disagree with sabretooth a lot on the "feels" related to team ownership and stuff like that so its not surprising.

Letting Stafford would be a huge mistake and leave the Lions in QB purgatory for years. Ask the Jets, Bills, TB, etc. Even the mention of him possibly being let go or traded a few weeks ago lead to many people saying it would be insane.

I'd rather see Calvin go. Knowing the Lions though, they will ultimately make the wrong decision.

If Green Bay loses out, does that mean Stafford goes back to 0-19? I seem to recall in 2011 the Lions beat both Denver and Oakland on the road and both had winning records at the time. They both finished 8-8 so apparently it doesn't count.

So is it confirmed that they didn't block the kick? Was it just shanked? It may have been the worst FG kick I've ever seen.

The ghost of Tom "Killer" Kowalski was the 11th man and blocked it.

Stafford simply isn't gritty enough to win in the NFL, he'll always have the stigma of his G/F, now wife being tougher than him.