Shinma

11/15/15. Lions at Packers, week 10. Fox 1:05pm.

Didn't he just do that to Millen?

Just look at Millen's wiki article:

Millen was the Lions' CEO for seven full seasons, from 2001–07; during that time, the club compiled a record of 31-81 (with at least nine losses each season). Detroit's .277 winning percentage was among the worst ever compiled by an NFL team over a seven-year period; only the Chicago Cardinals of 1939-45 (10-61-3, .141) and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of 1983-89 (26-86, .234) were less successful.
Despite the team's record on the field, Millen was the second-highest paid general manager in the NFL.[14] With a draft record that included a number of high first-round draft picks who were considered poor choices (Charles Rogers, Joey Harrington, and Mike Williams among them),[15] and widespread disappointment among fans, the media, and even some players, Millen received a five-year contract extension from owner William Clay Ford, Sr. at the start of the 2005 season.

So yes, Millen was fired, but only after getting a 5-year extension despite one of the worst records in NFL history. Martha fired Mayhew after only a year.

.....So yes, Millen was fired, but only after getting a 5-year extension despite one of the worst records in NFL history. Martha fired Mayhew after only a year.

To add to this, she fired Mayhew after he started with an 0-16 team and they made the playoffs twice in a five year span, which is actually pretty decent.

If old man Ford was still alive, I still think he would have waited until the end of the season to fire Mayhew and Lewand or he wouldn't have even fired them at the end of this season.

If old man ford was alive Lewand wouldn't have been fired.

I'm warming to the idea that this is going to turn out to be all about sexual politics in the Ford family. The 'girls' are out to show the 'guys' that they can do it better. And even if it's not true it's the most entertaining story.

I'm warming to the idea that this is going to turn out to be all about sexual politics in the Ford family. The 'girls' are out to show the 'guys' that they can do it better. And even if it's not true it's the most entertaining story.

I hope the Ford females do a better job because if they don't, the Lions will be really pathetic. The Ford males set the bar pretty low.

If old man ford was alive Lewand wouldn't have been fired.

That's probably accurate. Lewand would have been kept around for stability sake and just a new GM. Maybe even a promotion from within (which admittedly Martha could still do).

They haven't engaged in any PR regarding the search because they do not perceive any meaningful benefit from doing so.

I honestly don't know how to make myself any more clear on the topic.

I understood what you were saying.

My statement that "I don't understand" was directed at the Lions' decision, not your explanation of it.

I was allowing for unknown factors that might make their decision make sense to me.

You posted the link to the freep article and your only comment related to Martha presented the question of whether or not Martha would be swayed by White's apparent brown nosing.

It came off to me that you were talking about Martha, not White. If that wasn't your intention, so be it.

I was talking about both...I was trying in short-hand to criticize White.....that was the main point....I then expressed my hope for the sake of Lions' fans that Mrs. Ford isn't the kind of owner that could be swayed by such nonsense. I don't know the lady at all, so I cannot say with any degree of confidence that she isn't that kind of person, nor can I (nor was I trying to) suggest that she was the kind of person. It was a purely conditional statement that identified a very key negative attribute of WCFS tenure that I hope Mrs. Ford does not share. Frankly, she has proven to be different than her husband in one key respect (firing incompetent people on a timely basis), so that's a pretty good reason to think that she won't be the crony-loving owner that her husband was either.

But given your history of skepticism regarding whether an owner can be competent, I don't think the way people interpreted your comment is out of line.

My skepticism about her ability to be a successful owner was carefully described in numerous posts (basically her advanced age and lack of experience).

I also made several posts where I wished her well and acknowledged that she and her son/daughters could be successful if they worked as a team.

I guess I would say that I think you could have presented your position more clearly as a criticism of white's brown nosing and left out Martha's hypothetical reaction of believing it. Including the possibility that she would be swayed by a single line (out of context) implies that you think it's possible.

Of course I think it's possible. How can anybody reasonably state that it's not possible? I have no reason to think that it's probable, but it's certainly possible.

I don't find it pathetic, I find it mostly leans toward innate, honestly. That's where all this started from. From a guy who doesn't like the lions you made a point to source an article of a throw away quote from Sheldon White after the Lions just won their first game in Green Bay since the Bad Boys. Then you called what he said pathetic, which just seemed off to me.

I certainly wasn't trying to disparage Mrs. Ford.

But I do believe with all of my heart that what Sheldon White said was absolutely pathetic and baseless.

I was talking about both...I was trying in short-hand to criticize White.....that was the main point....I then expressed my hope for the sake of Lions' fans that Mrs. Ford isn't the kind of owner that could be swayed by such nonsense. I don't know the lady at all, so I cannot say with any degree of confidence that she isn't that kind of person, nor can I (nor was I trying to) suggest that she was the kind of person. It was a purely conditional statement that identified a very key negative attribute of WCFS tenure that I hope Mrs. Ford does not share. Frankly, she has proven to be different than her husband in one key respect (firing incompetent people on a timely basis), so that's a pretty good reason to think that she won't be the crony-loving owner that her husband was either.

My skepticism about her ability to be a successful owner was carefully described in numerous posts (basically her advanced age and lack of experience).

I also made several posts where I wished her well and acknowledged that she and her son/daughters could be successful if they worked as a team.

Of course I think it's possible. How can anybody reasonably state that it's not possible? I have no reason to think that it's probable, but it's certainly possible.

I really don't think the possibility of being swayed by that type of comment is above a nominal possibility that Lloyd Christmas would jump at.

But that's obviously where we disagree, and I took your post as meaning it was closer to approaching probable that it was to approaching nil.

As for the statement itself, reading it in context, it doesn't really make a lot of sense, and I would have liked to hear the question that prompted it or gotten some clarification about what it meant, because it just didn't make sense. The majority of the quote was about how the team was all in it together and they all had to better or they would be gone and blah blah blah. The Mrs ford comment made no sense in that context, and there was little to suggest this win was all due to Mrs ford, which is what the headline of the article implied.

......The Mrs ford comment made no sense in that context, and there was little to suggest this win was all due to Mrs ford, which is what the headline of the article implied.

Sheldon White should get all the credit for the win. He is a football genius that pulled some players out of nowhere and then the players he signed led the Lions to a victory over a Green Bay team that played one of their best games of the season. It is pretty clear the players that White signed have put the Lions over the top.

I really don't think the possibility of being swayed by that type of comment is above a nominal possibility that Lloyd Christmas would jump at.

But that's obviously where we disagree, and I took your post as meaning it was closer to approaching probable that it was to approaching nil.

I'm not sure I disagree with you WRT to Mrs. Ford....I really have little/no strong opinion on her personal tendencies towards cronyism.

I do suspect that she's pretty different from her husband though.

That's the way it is for the games in November & December. This is due to prime-time Fall TV shows on the networks.

So will the Lions be wearing all blue uniforms for the Thursday night game against the Packers? Seems to be some type of thing the NFL is promoting for the Thursday night schedule lately.

So will the Lions be wearing all blue uniforms for the Thursday night game against the Packers? Seems to be some type of thing the NFL is promoting for the Thursday night schedule lately.

I would imagine so.

I don't think so. I found this bit on line here:

Eight team’s Color Rush uniforms will be unveiled this season – Bills (Red), Buccaneers (Red), Cowboys (White), Jaguars (Bold Gold), Jets (Kelly Green), Panthers (Panthers Blue), Rams (Yellow Gold) and Titans (Titans Blue). Teams volunteered to participate in the 2015 limited launch and will take the field for the first time in the Color Rush uniforms during the respective games listed below.

So it looks like a voluntary thing and the Lions aren't one of the team cited above. I couldn't find any info on alternate uniforms for T-Day after a quick search (for this year). Obviously still might happen, but I guess I would have expected something to be released about it before now.

On a side note, that same site said that the Color Rush unis would be fully rolled out in 2016, so it seems likely we'll see a Lions solid color uni next year.

Anyone hear about the people who are color blind who had problems with the Jets/Bills game? Something I hadn't thought of but I can imagine it was odd for those with red/green color issues. Here's one example of what it would have looked like for someone like that:

2E6B2CD500000578-3317271-image-a-28_1447432382496.jpg

So those uniforms are a thing? Oh God spare us. I thought I was watching MAC football last night.

So those uniforms are a thing? Oh God spare us. I thought I was watching MAC football last night.

No no... you don't understand man!! These uniforms are amazing! After all they are "Designed to unite teams and fan bases." You think any old uniform can unite a fan base? I don't think so!

Consider this also: "Color Rush campaign offers a new way for fans to support teams and kick off weekend football festivities starting Thursday night." IT'S A NEW WAY!! NEW!! (Oh, and by support they mean financially of course.)

Finally, it important to note that "The campaign showcases spirited fan bases and cities through color." Other uniforms with their multi-colors... they just never really showcased how spirited fan bases really are!

I do not mind the unis one bit. I will not go buy them or anything. I am not a big jersey guy anymore anyway. I have maybe 3 in my closet from awhile ago. Shannahan, Hamilton (Pistons), Cabrera.

I never wear them anymore either. I kind of enjoy the change of pace with the teams all wearing the same color.