guy incognito

Terror attacks in Paris

This is such a childish response and a cliche that needs to go away. Might as well give him a "talk to the hand" while you're at it.

Sorry, just one of those memes that I absolutely hate.

no worries, that's exactly how I felt about his childish post, so it fits well

BTW, I just purchased the Qur'an from Amazon the other day. My girlfriend and I decided we wanted to try to read the thing that is talked about so much.

We did the same thing with the Bible.

We had some great guffaws with that one. Well......I did anyways.

don't count unless you read it in Arabic.

As for major ground troops, I also don't think any number of dead American kids piling up in the desert is going to make any dent in the totality of terrorist groups. I mean, s*** man, if we can't defeat two-bit nation states like Korea, Cuba or Vietnam in actual wars, what makes us think we can defeat every defender of an amorphous stateless ideology? Which you correctly (I think?) agree with, although I'm not sure why you led with a version of "until we put boots on the ground we can't defeat the terrorists" and then admit that the terrorists can't be defeated, anyway?

Coincidentally, my father in law expressed some similar despair about defeating the "Japs" in one of his letters home from Guadalcanal. But we did defeat them. It took an act that Americans don't have the stomach or will for since, though.

Coincidentally, my father in law expressed some similar despair about defeating the "Japs" in one of his letters home from Guadalcanal. But we did defeat them. It took an act that Americans don't have the stomach or will for since, though.

This is so spot on Melody. It was many many years later that we found some things my father had written while in the Pacific. Things that never would have gotten past the censors that reminded me what kind of things our troops really did to win that war - not pretty stuff. Things that we don't give medals for certainly. TBH, I think as a people we are not ready to go back there....yet. But in both Europe and the Pacific Allied action at the end of WW II certainly proved that in the face of sufficient provocation the American society is capable of being pushed past recognizing *any* rules of engagement. I'd sure like to hope we never have to go there again however.

ISIS claims they targeted this soccer game because two Christian countries, France and Germany, were playing. Simply pulling troops from the Middle East and letting them be is not going to stop them. What the hell has Germany done? They didn't attack Germany directly but it was still symbolic.

no worries, that's exactly how I felt about his childish post, so it fits well

I wasn't the one who said blow it out your ***, dear child, that was all you.

Every single news channel this morning has someone on talking about how it is inevitable that this will happen here. About how there are something like 1000 active ISIS related field reports at FBI offices around this country. About how the voluntary importing of refugees and other illegals is bound to make us less safe. This is why I am glad there are only 14 months left in his administration. You can say "well, nothing's happened here yet". But that is incredibly short sighted. These are people that measure their vengence in decades- not in days or weeks or months. The policies being implemented now will haunt us for a long time and they need to be reversed as soon as possible. The issue is, the next attack doesn't have to happen tomorrow or next week. These are people that implant among us and wait- sometimes for years. The thing that bothers me the most about this president is his clear lack of understanding, as well as his lack of emotional engagement in this problem. He seriously treats this like a hurricane or tornado that creates a bunch of loose shingles that need to be cleaned up. This requires strong US leadership, and the entire world knows he won't provide it. He's an empty suit. He was in 2008 and he still is.

Every single news channel this morning has someone on talking about how it is inevitable that this will happen here. About how there are something like 1000 active ISIS related field reports at FBI offices around this country. About how the voluntary importing of refugees and other illegals is bound to make us less safe. This is why I am glad there are only 14 months left in his administration. You can say "well, nothing's happened here yet". But that is incredibly short sighted. These are people that measure their vengence in decades- not in days or weeks or months. The policies being implemented now will haunt us for a long time and they need to be reversed as soon as possible. The issue is, the next attack doesn't have to happen tomorrow or next week. These are people that implant among us and wait- sometimes for years. The thing that bothers me the most about this president is his clear lack of understanding, as well as his lack of emotional engagement in this problem. He seriously treats this like a hurricane or tornado that creates a bunch of loose shingles that need to be cleaned up. This requires strong US leadership, and the entire world knows he won't provide it. He's an empty suit. He was in 2008 and he still is.

"we weep with the families" and "we stand strong with the people of France."

That's the type of leadership we need.

He's more concerned about the feelings of the poor Muslims in France who can't cover their faces in public.

unfortunately true.

But so far the theory has run into a lot of bumps on the road to reality.

Obama's foreign policy has run into a lot of those bumps.

When the lid is removed off of the crazies, the crazies come out to play. Removing the lid wasn't Obama's doing, but the response hasn't been very effective. And he didn't act to put the lid back on when he had the chance, instead championing the "Arab Spring." And then decided that Assad had to go but didn't act to replace him with anything.

So instead you have chaos.

Chad mocks the "leader of the free world" bit, but the lack of American leadership has left a void that hasn't been filled by anyone other than extremists ripping the lid off the region.

Following the AFP Twitter feed. Several interesting breaking developments. A French citizen with a gun has been arrested at a London airport, and there are raids being conducted in a Brussels neighborhood.

So why is it solely the US responsibility to do something? Where has France been? The UK? Even Canada and Australia? Both of those countries had lone wolf attacks and yet Canada is pulling out of the coalition. The US has done more than any other country against ISIS. Why does the US have to sacrifice troops lives for the rest of the west?

Following the AFP Twitter feed. Several interesting breaking developments. A French citizen with a gun has been arrested at a London airport, and there are raids being conducted in a Brussels neighborhood.

I heard someone was arrested in Germany as well in connection with the attacks.

Obama's foreign policy has run into a lot of those bumps.

When the lid is removed off of the crazies, the crazies come out to play. Removing the lid wasn't Obama's doing, but the response hasn't been very effective...

Yeah - I don't know trying to establish a 'balance of power' in the middle East can work or not. You can argue that the basic Shia/Sunni split has dimensions that make it less stable than the US/Russian example. I always go back to the fact that the cold war had to eventually collapse because in the end it wasn't about anything real. There just wasn't anything both the US and Russia both wanted or needed that each other had. And neither ideology was existentially threatened by the other when they existed in different places. A lot of that is not true of the Shia/Sunni Arab/Persian split so maybe it's a bad model..

If that's true, then the strategy is just one more ME failure to add to the list. Really, the whole neo-con effort was directed as a way to get us out of there as well. Create an example democratic Arab state that would be the model for others, watch stability increase and then we could go home. The American motivation in each of these things has always been to get the hell out of there.

Edited by Gehringer_2

yawn

I do not disagree that the US can't be the only one taking the risk and displaying leadership. But when we aren't front and center, it's a signal to these nut jobs that it's open for business time. Barry doesn't exactly strike fear in the minds of any one, let alone a terrorist. Everyone in the world knows he's a complete limp wrist when it comes to foreign policy. And for him to come out and say that ISIS has largely been contained less than 24 hours before this happened simply makes him look like the moron he is.

I do not disagree that the US can't be the only one taking the risk and displaying leadership. But when we aren't front and center, it's a signal to these nut jobs that it's open for business time. Barry doesn't exactly strike fear in the minds of any one, let alone a terrorist. Everyone in the world knows he's a complete limp wrist when it comes to foreign policy. And for him to come out and say that ISIS has largely been contained less than 24 hours before this happened simply makes him look like the moron he is.

your gay innuendos about Obama are very mature material. Please, continue calling everyone else children.

ETA: Oh, and they're open for business regardless of what we do. They were open for business when we had 100k troops on the ground. Damn facts get in the way of a completely terrible tirade on repeat though.

Edited by pfife

This puts me in mind of the late Paul Harvey's infamous "sugar candy" commentary.

your gay innuendos about Obama are very mature material. Please, continue calling everyone else children.

I suppose the phrase could also represent gay innuendo, but all I meant was that he's a complete pansy with no balls to do anything decisive in the interests of the US in any arena of foreign policy whatsoever. Jimmy Carter was also a foreign policy limp wrist, but admittedly he did not also have the gay bathhouse stories to go along with his foreign policy failures. I'm not particularly concerned with his sexual orientation at this point. I would just prefer that we all survive his administration without anyone getting killed as a result of his misguided policies.

The last I checked, you are the one who in the most adult like fashion possible, told me to blow it out my *** and then called me the child. Facts sometimes get twisted by liberals, so perhaps a reminder is in order.

I wonder if papi will ever explain to us how Bush handled the Madrid attacks so much better than Obama handled these attacks.

Bush rightly recognized this as the central challenge of our time. Barry is too busy building his library and finding ways to admit the type of people who pulled off this tragedy yesterday into this country. No president can be expected to stop every possible bad actor. But as we've already seen this morning, at least one of the terrorists came into France with the refugee flow. No reason to believe the same thing couldn't (or hasn't already) happened here. Bad policies have bad implications. I have absolutely no comfort that something identical couldn't happen here as a result of our inability to simply enforce our current immigration policies. My point is, Obama treats these instances in a similar fashion to a natural disaster. Bush treated it as an act of war. There is quite a difference.

Bush rightly recognized this as the central challenge of our time. Barry is too busy building his library and finding ways to admit the type of people who pulled off this tragedy yesterday into this country. No president can be expected to stop every possible bad actor. But as we've already seen this morning, at least one of the terrorists came into France with the refugee flow. No reason to believe the same thing couldn't (or hasn't already) happened here. Bad policies have bad implications. I have absolutely no comfort that something identical couldn't happen here as a result of our inability to simply enforce our current immigration policies. My point is, Obama treats these instances in a similar fashion to a natural disaster. Bush treated it as an act of war. There is quite a difference.

It what way did Bush treat the Madrid attacks as an act of war? What did he do in less than 24 hours after the Madrid attacks besides say he was weeping?

It what way did Bush treat the Madrid attacks as an act of war? What did he do in less than 24 hours after the Madrid attacks besides say he was weeping?

Bush's entire presidency was the war on terror. Everything the guy did was motivated toward stopping terror and recognizing it for what it is- a war. Barry's response is simply a microcosm of everything he's done wrong and is exhibit A for the terrorists who already know he doesn't carry a stick with respect to this type of action. It isn't necessarily about what he did or did not do after this specific attack, or what Bush did or did not do after Madrid. Obama's response to this is a summary of his 'I don't care' attitude toward terror. He has an inability to view this as anything more than criminal activity. In his view, terrorists are criminals who need to be tried in a court of law when they commit their crimes. Bush hunted and killed them one by one with soldiers and locked the survivors up forever where they belong on an island prison. Bush treated it as what it is- a war. If it happens in NY, Obama thinks it is a matter for the NYPD and the state court system. There is a big difference. And the sooner we get a president who recognizes it for what it is, the safer everyone will be.

Bush's entire presidency was the war on terror. Everything the guy did was motivated toward stopping terror and recognizing it for what it is- a war. Barry's response is simply a microcosm of everything he's done wrong and is exhibit A for the terrorists who already know he doesn't carry a stick with respect to this type of action. It isn't necessarily about what he did or did not do after this specific attack, or what Bush did or did not do after Madrid. Obama's response to this is a summary of his 'I don't care' attitude toward terror. He has an inability to view this as anything more than criminal activity. In his view, terrorists are criminals who need to be tried in a court of law when they commit their crimes. Bush hunted and killed them one by one with soldiers and locked the survivors up forever where they belong on an island prison. Bush treated it as what it is- a war. If it happens in NY, Obama thinks it is a matter for the NYPD and the state court system. There is a big difference. And the sooner we get a president who recognizes it for what it is, the safer everyone will be.

Right, except for the thousands/tens of thousands of American troops that will die or get maimed AGAIN in countries on the other side of the world.