Motor City Sonics

If not the Lions, do you watch pro football?

Gotta tell ya, other that highlights, I watch very little pro football outside of the Lions (and then only see one team playing on those days).

I don't know if it's because I have other things to do, but I find myself developing a certain disdain for the league as a whole. I just find everything they do is phony. I am not into the fantasy football thing anymore because I wasn't enjoying watching the game. Those daily fantasy leagues are a total scam, probably mob-run and the fact the league lets players and employees take part in them seems like insider trading to me. I think you'll see some indictments coming from them in the future. I don't know what it is, it's Roger Goodell, it's Greg Hardy, it's owners being treated like royalty, it's the lie about player safety, it's teams holding cities hostage for stadium money, getting it, and then demanding more, it's all of it. It just seems very corrupt. Maybe it's just the Lions not winning. I don't know, but I really haven't sat down to watch another game, other than the Lions and I used to be all in every Sunday. Am I alone in this?

(BTW, I saw the pictures of Greg Hardy's victim - he beat the absolute hell out of her - he should not be in the league right now, he should be in jail).

The NFL is background noise unless the Lions aren't a complete joke, then we pay attention.

I don't get invested in the league anymore. Saturday football is superior in almost every way, and the NFL just can't match it. College offers better atmospheres, fans, the ability to watch every game I want, meaningful games before January, etc.

The NFL is a poorly run league, and I don't know why people consider it the "gold-standard". Most fans are drunk ***holes, and plenty of players are just the same without the beer.

Saturday football is superior in almost every way...

What?

Certainly there is no comparison when it comes to the level of talent (players and coaches) on NFL fields and college fields. But preferences are preferences, I guess.

What?

Certainly there is no comparison when it comes to the level of talent (players and coaches) on NFL fields and college fields. But preferences are preferences, I guess.

I think he means the experience of it. Not the actual talent level.

What?

Yes, I was talking about the experience and intensity of games. There's maybe 2-3 NFL teams that could maybe fill a 100K stadium on a weekly basis. Also, every game on Saturdays matter. A loss in college hurts a whole lot more than a loss in the NFL. There's just more passion from both players and fans in college football.

There's no argument on the talent level. NFL players are bigger, stronger, and faster. It doesn't mean it's a better product IMO.

Yes, I was talking about the experience and intensity of games. There's maybe 2-3 NFL teams that could maybe fill a 100K stadium on a weekly basis. Also, every game on Saturdays matter. A loss in college hurts a whole lot more than a loss in the NFL. There's just more passion from both players and fans in college football.

There's no argument on the talent level. NFL players are bigger, stronger, and faster. It doesn't mean it's a better product IMO.

I know what you're talking about. I just don't like watching mediocre football. (Shame that I'm a Lions fan.)

Also I don't like to accept the NCAA's fantasy that it is some bastion of the innocence and idealism of collegiate competition, when it does things like selling the names and likenesses of these "student athletes" without compensating them.

I'm not trying to persuade you, though.

I guess I understand the cynicism that leads some to like college sports more than pro sports, but I like good quality myself.

I watch NFL, its my favorite sport

I live in Las Vegas, and have friends in the sports book industry. We watch at least 4-5 games a week. I'm the only Lions fan so when the Lions are bad it gives us an opportunity to tune to another game/redzone.

I will have marquee match ups on in the background, but is getting harder to give credence to the nfl. Poor officiating is ruining the game. I'm not saying games are fixed, but bad calls and non calls sure seem to steer the outcomes of too many games.

If I'm off on Sunday, I'm usually watching as much football as possible. I have the rest of the week to watch college football off the dvr.

I disagree about the officiating. They make a terrible call (or non-call, such as the batting of the ball) every now and then, but for the most part, the officials are pretty good at what they do.

If I'm off on Sunday, I'm usually watching as much football as possible. I have the rest of the week to watch college football off the dvr.

I disagree about the officiating. They make a terrible call (or non-call, such as the batting of the ball) every now and then, but for the most part, the officials are pretty good at what they do.

He didn't bat the ball, he lightly tapped it.

I will have marquee match ups on in the background, but is getting harder to give credence to the nfl. Poor officiating is ruining the game. I'm not saying games are fixed, but bad calls and non calls sure seem to steer the outcomes of too many games.

Calls even out IMO.

Just saw the pictures of Greg Hardy's victim. Absolute brutality. Another turn off for the NFL. And he wore pink during games last month..........disgusting.

I don't get this one. This makes me hate Greg Hardy and only Greg Hardy.

I watch as much NFL as I can. Love it.

I don't care what they do in their spare time, not going to pretend I don't like to watch football because some of the participants aren't nice people.

He didn't bat the ball, he lightly tapped it.

By definition, he caused the ball to go out of bounds; even the league admitted they f.d that one up.

I wanted to have a good football to watch. I was intrigued by Harbaugh going to Michigan. With their quick start, I started becoming a fan. I decided to watch the game against Michigan State. First college game I can remember watching from beginning to end and having a rooting interest. Imagine my surprise and disappointment when they blew it in epic fashion. I don't think the Lions have ever blew it like that. I think I may become a Steelers fan. Pittsburg is similar to Detroit. The Steelers are consistently a good team with a long tradition of winning.

I may watch a big game (like Denver and NE next week), but outside of the Lions, I probably watch 3-4 NFL games a year...including playoffs. And I have the NFL Sunday Ticket where I get every game.

Depends on what time frame you are talking about.

My first 20 or so years watching the Lions as a die hard was solely about them.

After that and seeing how many times we got boned I decided to start watching other teams to see if they got boned as much as we do. That lasted about 7-8 years so far.

Apathy set in 3-4 weeks ago and the only reason I even had Red Zone on yesterday was because of the wife believe it or not. She is in our fantasy league (and doing well) and likes keeping up with that.

I actually wanted to get out of the house yesterday, but we ended up staying home watching red zone. I used to watch Sunday Night football also, but TWD and the return of the Red Wings/Pistons has me barely flicking to that game.

I usually watch some of the MNF game just because none of the shows we like is on Monday.

Yes, I was talking about the experience and intensity of games. There's maybe 2-3 NFL teams that could maybe fill a 100K stadium on a weekly basis.

True, but I think that's comparing Apples and Oranges. NFL games are TV events more than anything else. College isn't that yet. You're comment is still true, of course, but unless you're actually going to the games rather than watching on TV, does it make that much of a difference?

Also worth mentioning that college teams typically have a huge built in fan base living a very short distance from the stadium and can sometimes get tickets at a reduced price. Imagine if there were 30 to 40 thousand big Lions fans living less than 15 miles from the stadium in ADDITION to all the existing fans. And each year another 10 thousand were added.

Also, every game on Saturdays matter. A loss in college hurts a whole lot more than a loss in the NFL.

This is one of the reasons I don't like college football. One loss and your whole season could be screwed.

Additionally, the HUGE number of teams combined with the relatively few number of games means that it's a lot harder to get a good judge of which teams are better than others. So you have rankings where people have to judge things like "quality of wins" or "strength of opposition." You have things like a loss early in the year meaning less than a loss late in the year.

There's just more passion from both players and fans in college football.

From fans... probably, more of 'em. Not so sure from the players. Also, fan passion might be a lot different in a city like Seattle where they actually have a pro-level team vs. Detroit where it's amateur hour more years than not.