hail2mich

GDT: Rutgers at #17 Michigan 11/7/2015

Minnesota within a TD of Ohio St.. Buckeyes have the ball but need a 1st down or Minnesota will get the ball back with over a minute to go.

I'm fine with that, let the Buckeyes be undefeated and in the top 3 in the country coming into Ann Arbor, it will make the buildup iinsane if Michigan can win its next two.

Rutgers is so terrible. I can't believe we let a school that has one of the worst division 1 football and one of the worst division 1 basketball programs into the Big 10. Thank you Jim Delaney.

Also, apparently Michigan poured it on in the 2nd half/went for 2 because the Rutgers players were celebrating/taunting Michigan players going into halftime and this enraged Harbaugh.

Rutgers is so terrible. I can't believe we let a school that has one of the worst division 1 football and one of the worst division 1 basketball programs into the Big 10. Thank you Jim Delaney.

Also, apparently Michigan poured it on in the 2nd half/went for 2 because the Rutgers players were celebrating/taunting Michigan players going into halftime and this enraged Harbaugh.

They were put in the conference for B10 to go east, tv money, etc. And seeing as how Peppers, and 3 more members from next years class are from New Jersey, it obviously helps with recruiting. Yes thank you Delaney.

Still don't think M has an offense to beat OSU with, but it make the season more fun knowing it's still possible.

Does OSU's defense impress you that much? Who have they played or shut down that makes them so challenging to play at home?

They were put in the conference for B10 to go east, tv money, etc. And seeing as how Peppers, and 3 more members from next years class are from New Jersey, it obviously helps with recruiting. Yes thank you Delaney.

I think those players from Jersey had absolutely 0 to do with Rutgers joining the Big 10. Did people from New Jersey not know about Michigan before then? Was Michigan not already on ESPN in the region all the time?

The TV money is also basically non-existent, especially with sports channels losing all of their pull (look at how much money ESPN is losing)

It was just a stupid move by an idiot commish trying to make a splash. At least Maryland is good at basketball. Rutgers is just another Purdue. But worse.

I think those players from Jersey had absolutely 0 to do with Rutgers joining the Big 10. Did people from New Jersey not know about Michigan before then? Was Michigan not already on ESPN in the region all the time?

The TV money is also basically non-existent, especially with sports channels losing all of their pull (look at how much money ESPN is losing)

It was just a stupid move by an idiot commish trying to make a splash. At least Maryland is good at basketball. Rutgers is just another Purdue. But worse.

I thought it was BTN money.

Not sure where else to put this at the moment:

Michigan hasn't won a big game since 2003.

True? Discuss.

Not sure where else to put this at the moment:

Michigan hasn't won a big game since 2003.

True? Discuss.

Your definition of a "big game" would be great so I can choose to agree or disagree.

Edit: Wait, no. I'll say that the Sugar Bowl victory of Virginia Tech was the last big win, since it was the Sugar Bowl.

Edited by Fool Inc.

I left my definition vague for a reason. If I gave you objective criteria there would be nothing to discuss.

One of the issues here is that they haven't put themselves in position to play in many meaningful games over the last 10 years.

I will say that a win in the rose bowl would qualify as a big win, but we all know they haven't won the rose bowl since the 1997 season.

This is admittedly a very subjective thing.

I'm trying to identify a game in which there were some real stakes where we came out on top.

2006 ND is the closest thing but other factors have me discounting it.

To me, both teams need to be pretty good at the time of the matchup. In the case of an early season matchup, the teams have to have ended up being pretty good that season. 2006 ND didn't end up being a very good team.

This has been a good discussion.

I can't wait to tell my grandchildren about the time a rapist hit the game winning field goal in overtime when we were ranked #13 to defeat the 17th ranked Hokies. It was a glorious victory, even though we were out gained by 200 yards and the Hokies missed a field goal in the first overtime possession.

I left my definition vague for a reason. If I gave you objective criteria there would be nothing to discuss.

One of the issues here is that they haven't put themselves in position to play in many meaningful games over the last 10 years.

I will say that a win in the rose bowl would qualify as a big win, but we all know they haven't won the rose bowl since the 1997 season.

This is admittedly a very subjective thing.

I'm trying to identify a game in which there were some real stakes where we came out on top.

2006 ND is the closest thing but other factors have me discounting it.

To me, both teams need to be pretty good at the time of the matchup. In the case of an early season matchup, the teams have to have ended up being pretty good that season. 2006 ND didn't end up being a very good team.

They've been in 'big' 2 games really where they've ended up with a chance to do really well nationally--2006 @OSU, and possibly 2015 vs. MSU. They're 0-2 in those.

Their best win was 2005 vs. PSU, who finished 11-1 and #3 in the country.

I can't wait to tell my grandchildren about the time a rapist hit the game winning field goal in overtime when we were ranked #13 to defeat the 17th ranked Hokies. It was a glorious victory, even though we were out gained by 200 yards and the Hokies missed a field goal in the first overtime possession.

Did you ask the question just so you could go on a rant about it?

Did you ask the question just so you could go on a rant about it?

About the sugar bowl? Absolutely not. I'm shocked it was even presented as a potential win in a big game. I didn't think I would have to argue about that game at all.

Did I bring up the overall topic to rant about their lack of a big win in the last 12 years? Absolutely.

They've been in 'big' 2 games really where they've ended up with a chance to do really well nationally--2006 @OSU, and possibly 2015 vs. MSU. They're 0-2 in those.

Their best win was 2005 vs. PSU, who finished 11-1 and #3 in the country.

This is a rough list of games that I would consider to be arguably big games (bowl game years refer to regular season year)

2003 OSU - win

2003 Rose bowl - loss

2004 OSU - loss

2004 rose bowl - loss

2005 psu - win (but M was 3-3 at the time so it's mostly here because of psu's season)

2006 ND - win (hype based on ND preseason ranking but wasn't that big of a win in hindsight)

2006 OSU - loss

2006 rose bowl - loss

2007 OSU - loss

2010 MSU - loss (mostly because both teams were unbeaten but M ended up being terrible so who cares)

2011 MSU - loss

2011 OSU - win (the lone win over OSU but it was against the 6-7 zombie OSU team and we barely won)

2011 sugar bowl - win (meh, for reasons listed above)

2012 bama - loss

2012 ND - loss

2012 Nebraska - loss

2012 OSU - loss

2012 outback - loss (against #11 scar)

2013 MSU - loss

2013 OSU - loss

2014 MSU - loss

2014 OSU - loss

2015 MSU - loss

Why do you hate rapists so much?

Considering our delicate balance of wins and losses helped the stars and heavens align to land us the Harbaugh, I'd say every win AND loss has been a "big" win.

Yay us. We don't suck anymore.