drownwithyou

Red Wings and Abdelkader "making progress" on long term deal

Detroit Red Wings making progress in efforts to sign Justin Abdelkader to long-term deal | MLive.com

The contract is expected to be longer than four years. It is unclear how much it will be worth but is likely to average more than $4 million per season.

Getting the big, gritty forward with a scoring touch signed before the off-season was a top priority for the Red Wings. Abdelkader, 28, could become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, but the Muskegon native and Michigan State product wants to remain a Red Wing for many more years.

Abdelkader is in the final year of a four-year pact at a $1.8 million cap hit. His actual salary is $2.25 million.

I think it sounds like they are working out a reasonable deal for both sides. I know it is cheesy but I enjoy that the Wings have a core of players from Michigan who grew up Wings fans.

Detroit Red Wings making progress in efforts to sign Justin Abdelkader to long-term deal | MLive.com

I think it sounds like they are working out a reasonable deal for both sides. I know it is cheesy but I enjoy that the Wings have a core of players from Michigan who grew up Wings fans.

I bet Zach Parise and Ryan Suter don't think that its cheesy.

I bet Suter also has seconds thoughts of singing with the Wild.

Maybe, but his voice isn't that good.

So the rumor is $4+ million for SEVEN years. The term feels way too long, I'm surprised it isn't about 4 years for the same money.

Yikes. You need a guy like Abdelkader on the team, but that guy doesn't necessarily need to be Abdelkader himself.

An offer of 4 years @ $4.0mm per would have been more than fair. I am confident that this off-season other GMs would not consider him a top 6 forward or that even if they did that they'd offer him more than 5 years tops. At the end of 4 years, Abdelkader would either be beat up from physical play in which case he is not worth the 3 following years, or else he'd be in good shape having padded his stats on the 1st line and he still could have cashed in then with someone.

This will go down as the worst signing in NHL history.

Clarkson got the same deal as far as years at his age goes, but Clarkson's hit is a million dollars more...so there's that.

I wonder if part of this was making up for his last contract being fairly low at $1.8 million per year, 4 years. He'll make a little less than players like Frolik, Ladd, and Marchand so I'm fine with the amount. But man...very worried about how effective he'll be in the latter half of this deal. He's very good in front of the net on the power play, is pretty good at going into the corners and winning puck battles, but can he keep it up along with his high shooting percentage from last year? I'm a bit worried about that. I always thought the hometown discount went in favor of the team.

I didn't want to post in this thread until I cooled off about what Kenny did today, but here is goes. I hate Kenny as a GM, can't stand him. This further cements my utter dislike for Ken Holland. Didn't the Franzen deal teach Kenny anything at all? Did history teach this guy a thing? 7 years @ 4.25 per for a guy with ONE, ONE 20 goal season at the age of 28 is completely incredulous.

Ugh. The more things change, the more they stay the same. No problem with the salary, but 7 years is insanity. Of course he looks good playing with Datsyuk, who doesn't. The Wings need goal scorers, not a team of hard working character guys who can't put the puck in the net. No, not the worst deal of all time by a long shot, but just more of the same old same old the prevents the Wings from getting back to being just a playoff team to a Cup contender.

Interesting wrinkle on his NTC:

Full NTC in the first 4 years.

If the Wings miss the playoffs or he is not among the Top 9 F in TOI, can trade him