Nastradamus

Mayhew and Lewand fired!

Exactly. Ask scott pioli.

Ask every coach who had ever left bellichek.

And i dont want to hear anybody say jimmy johnson.

Pioli is a guy I'd be interviewing fwiw

Of course he'll retire to maintain his image. Look, the guy is a great coach, but if you took Tom Brady off of that team and substituted him with a lesser QB, no way does Belichick look as good as he does or win the titles he wins.

Like say, Matt Cassel?

Like say, Matt Cassel?

I guess his system worked well for Cassel. Cassel certainly didn't gain anything long-term from his time with Belichick because he's been bad everywhere else he's gone.

I'm not sure who's going to be hired but I say just fire them now and get it over with.

Who would want this job? The only people who may want it are people who know they aren't qualified and just want a payday.

It a hired to be fired business. Unfair? Yes, but this is the Lions we're talking about. Anyone hired that isn't quite qualified for the job will last twice as long as they should have. My suggestion to any hire? Save your money, you'll need it.

PS. There was a report earlier today that said that Jim Bob had to dumb down the playbook for Stafford. That is not a good sign for a guy who's been in the league for 7 years.

Let me preface this with the obvious fact that Stafford does not appear to be a student of the game, like Peyton Manning. And that his football IQ is an area I think he needs to work on (although who doesn't).

However, the question is what is more likely: That the QB, the 6 offensive linemen who have played, and the 3 TEs all are too stupid to figure out the blocking schemes, or that the playbook itself is either too complicated, just bad, or both. Even if all of those groups are too stupid to understand the schemes, than the playbook is still bad. If I try to teach first graders calculus using my college textbooks, thats still a bad reflection on me, not on them.

I also heard a quote similar (by Ian Rappaport) to what you said from lombardi after he got fired. This all just sounds like someone who was fired posturing to be able to get another NFL job by deflecting blame.

I guess his system worked well for Cassel. Cassel certainly didn't gain anything long-term from his time with Belichick because he's been bad everywhere else he's gone.

That has nothing to do with my point. I'm simply saying that Belichick can likely win with another QB besides Brady, even a very limited one.

People always forget that he was turning around the Browns before they decided to move to Baltimore. The NFL Network documentary on this is awesome.

Not really surprised about Mayhew, but I am that Lewand was included. He seems to have survived everything, & has been there a long, long time.

I knew that both had to go. However, like you, I never thought we'd see Lewand go given that nepotism is what got him his job in the first place. That was the real shocker in all of this.

Not really surprised about Mayhew, but I am that Lewand was included. He seems to have survived everything, & has been there a long, long time.

Maybe a measure of the degree to which WCF Jr has stepped away. The reporting has been the two of them were BFF. Then again, maybe WCF Jr saw that handwriting on the wall and that is why he didn't want to be close to the decision......

As a long time Lions fan after all this speculation I expect we'll end up with Dave Brandon as President, Matt Millen as GM and Rod Marinelli as Coach. All sold as having learned from their experiences and now ready to succeed.

If you're giving Pioli another attempt at running a team would you extended the same offer to Jeff Ireland?

I don't know much about Ireland. Maybe. I'd interview a lot of people with experience. I feel Pioli was an integral part of NE's success and IMO his KC drafts show some potential, despite some bad moves in there too.

Color me skeptical of Mrs. Ford's ability to build a successful football front office. She's learned one lesson her husband never could learn, which is loyalty is not a winning strategy (good for her)...but she still is a very elderly person with no experience in sports management and she's trying to rebuild a front office from scratch. That is a tall order for anybody much less someone with her background and advanced age.

You're making it seem like she is a building a space rocket and the Lions new home will be on Mars. All she has to do is hire one competent person who then builds the rest. You're take isn't surprising though.

Pioli would be a disaster. Done with retreads, especially bad ones.

I honestly feel that there is no way to screw up this hire, there isn't much mystery left out there.

I think it's unfair to assume that Martha Ford will continue the incompetence of Bill Sr and Jr just because she's an old woman named Ford. In one day she's already shown more urgency and accountability than Bill Sr. ever did. Whacking the front office is the only thing she could do at this point, and she did it. She also blocked the son who gave us Matt Millen from having anything more to do with the coming overhaul of the team. So every decision that she could make to this point has been solid, IMO. Could she screw up the GM hire? Sure, but I feel better about her ability to get it right today than I did two days ago. This doesn't feel like SOL at the moment

Pioli would be a disaster. Done with retreads, especially bad ones.

I honestly feel that there is no way to screw up this hire, there isn't much mystery left out there.

There is no reason to think he'd be a disaster

I think it's unfair to assume that Martha Ford will continue the incompetence of Bill Sr and Jr just because she's an old woman named Ford. In one day she's already shown more urgency and accountability than Bill Sr. ever did. Whacking the front office is the only thing she could do at this point, and she did it. She also blocked the son who gave us Matt Millen from having anything more to do with the coming overhaul of the team. So every decision that she could make to this point has been solid, IMO. Could she screw up the GM hire? Sure, but I feel better about her ability to get it right today than I did two days ago. This doesn't feel like SOL at the moment

Exactly. Do people forget that junior hired millen?

The Lions should appoint a woman to take lewand's place full time and instantly become the darlings of the progressive set.

And honestly, the ford men made what was once a great franchise into the worst team in modern sports history. Lets give the ford women a shot. As hg said, she's done more to show leadership in half a season in charge than senior or junior did in years.

All hail martha.

There is no reason to think he'd be a disaster

Other than the fact that he was a disaster as soon as he moved away from the comfortable protection of bill bellichek.

Whats next? You want to hire romeo crennell or charlie weiss or josh mcdaniels?

Other than the fact that he was a disaster as soon as he moved away from the comfortable protection of bill bellichek.

Coming from someone who wants Matt Patricia to be the lions next HC, I have to still agree with you. I am extremely wary of anyone coming out of that system, since there seems to be a 0% success rate. That include coaches and front office. And most of the players. Has anyone besides Danny woodhead had any sense of success after leaving New England?

Edit: clearly I forgot about Welker. But I'm giving myself a pass because of Peyton Manning.

McDaniels wasn't a complete failure in Denver. I feel given his age someone will give him another gig somewhere. But point taken on the others.

I’m even happier Lewand is gone than Mayhew. Couldn’t stand that guy.

Still owned by the Fords, so I’m expecting nothing more than a new paint job on the Hindenburg. I’ll wait and see though, and give Martha the benefit of the doubt

Exactly. Do people forget that junior hired millen?

The Lions should appoint a woman to take lewand's place full time and instantly become the darlings of the progressive set.

And honestly, the ford men made what was once a great franchise into the worst team in modern sports history. Lets give the ford women a shot. As hg said, she's done more to show leadership in half a season in charge than senior or junior did in years.

All hail martha.

I agree and yesterday, Mrs. Ford named Allison Maki interim COO(I am assuming it was Lewand's position), but who knows if she keeps the position with the new GM. They should try something different, because as you said, the Ford men have been flat out terrible running the Lions.

allison_maki_biocard.jpg

I agree and yesterday, Mrs. Ford named Allison Maki interim COO(I am assuming it was Lewand's position), but who knows if she keeps the position with the new GM. They should try something different, because as you said, the Ford men have been flat out terrible running the Lions.

allison_maki_biocard.jpg

I tried connecting with Allison on LinkedIn yesterday. It asked me how I knew her when I tried connecting with her and so I chose the category that "we did business together", which is true, we have. I'm a paying customer with my Suh jersey, overpriced Hungry Howie's pizza slice, $7 beer and my ticket to my seat. Highly doubtful that she adds me though.

If you were interviewing a candidate for GM what is one question you would ask them in the interview?

Mine: What creates sustained success in today's NFL and how does an organization achieve it?