Nastradamus

Mayhew and Lewand fired!

I agree as the only things that have remained the same with the Patriots are Brady, Belichick, and Robert Kraft. The team replaces players and they stay contenders. Once Brady is gone, I wonder if Belichick will retire too.

Of course he'll retire to maintain his image. Look, the guy is a great coach, but if you took Tom Brady off of that team and substituted him with a lesser QB, no way does Belichick look as good as he does or win the titles he wins.

Congratulations to Shelden White, the Detroit Lions GM for the next eight years.

Sadly this is the most credible scenario I have seen mentioned in this thread.

Sadly this is the most credible scenario I have seen mentioned in this thread.

What do you mean? He was named interim GM, which means he is gone once a new GM is hired.

If the Lions really want to get rid of Stafford, Denver would probably want him. It is pretty clear that Manning is about done, so Elway will want a veteran QB.

Edited by nd1377

What do you mean? He was named interim GM, which means he is gone once a new GM is hired.

If the Lions really want to get rid of Stafford, Denver would probably want him. It is pretty clear that Manning is about done, so Elway will want a veteran QB.

Mayhew was also interim GM and look where that went. Hopefully Mrs. Ford follows through with her national search idea but the Lions said they would conduct an extensive search the last time and they hired from within.

Color me skeptical of Mrs. Ford's ability to build a successful football front office. She's learned one lesson her husband never could learn, which is loyalty is not a winning strategy (good for her)...but she still is a very elderly person with no experience in sports management and she's trying to rebuild a front office from scratch. That is a tall order for anybody much less someone with her background and advanced age.

Also, the dynamic vis-à-vis her son/daughters is also a mystery...do they influence her? If so, is there one of them who would take the lead with Mrs. Ford on this project and what relevant background do they have? If several of them will be involved, what is there collective background and do they work well together?

Their best bet is that an experienced hand (like Bill Polian who has been suggested a lot lately) comes along and leads the hiring effort for them and agrees to stay around for a while to build the reporting relationship between the new FO and Martha (and/or her "team" of son/daughters). The use of a good proxy like that would instill some confidence in me.

I don't know why people think Martha is going to be as passive as Willie was. Willie would have never gutted the front office half way through the season following an 11-5 season and a playoff berth. By all accounts, Martha forced the firing of Lombardi and the OL coaches. I have no doubt an external candidate will be hired as the next GM.

I guess as Lions fans we need to wait and see what Martha does. We were so used to incompetent ownership we need to see what she does before we praise her.

I guess as Lions fans we need to wait and see what Martha does. We were so used to incompetent ownership we need to see what she does before we praise her.

The same can also be said before we criticize her for moves that haven't been made yet.

I'm honestly shocked that The Fords had the cohones to do this.

I called it in the GDT that this is exactly the type of game that leads to massive firings but I was thinking Caldwell at the most.

It's the right move, had to be done. The organization is stuck in the mud, a cap team with weak personnel.

It's weird to see Lions ownership make a management sweep like this. Martha has some brass balls.

I wonder what this means for Caldwell now. Kind of odd to see portions of a coaching staff fired, VP and GM fired but the head coach remaining. I'm guessing that Caldwell is a lame duck since the new GM will want his guy.

In any event, the offseason just got a whole lot more interesting. Just have to get through this dog of a season first.

Edited by NYLion

The same can also be said before we criticize her for moves that haven't been made yet.

Exactly. She has now fired the two-headed monster in the front office, and almost certainly called for the firing of the OC and two other offensive coaches. She couldn't very well have fired them after making the playoffs last season, but clearly she had seen enough after just half of this season. That seems pretty decisive to me.

Rapaport reporting that stafford's future with the organization is very much in doubt.

Not sure how I feel about this. Just get the man a good offensive line.

I sure hope they aren't looking at Goff as his replacement. Don't see any other options out there.

There's still a bunch of franchises who haven't been able to find a decent QB for years.

I don't think Mayhew did a terrible job. He inherited an 0-16 team, got them two playoff appearance and made them competitive. It reminds me of the 1990's Lions. Just couldn't make the next step. I think I finally came around on firing Mayhew after losing Suh. I gave him a pass because the Lions were coming off a good season, but to lose your best player in his prime in the NFL when you can restrict his movement shouldn't happen.

I sure hope they aren't looking at Goff as his replacement. Don't see any other options out there.

There's still a bunch of franchises who haven't been able to find a decent QB for years.

There's also QB's equal or lesser than Stafford who won Superbowls like Eli Manning and Joe Flacco. It took the Lions 50 years to find a QB as good as Stafford. It isn't easy.

I don't think Mayhew did a terrible job. He inherited an 0-16 team, got them two playoff appearance and made them competitive. It reminds me of the 1990's Lions. Just couldn't make the next step. I think I finally came around on firing Mayhew after losing Suh. I gave him a pass because the Lions were coming off a good season, but to lose your best player in his prime in the NFL when you can restrict his movement shouldn't happen.

I agree. I thought he made some nice free agent signings actually.

But the botched up Suh situation and the putrid drafts of the last couple of drafts really sealed his fate. Plus the questionable coaching hires.

Lets be honest though. He had Hall of Famers at 2 important positions and an extremely talented #1 pick at QB and made the playoffs just 2 times with that core with zero playoff wins and last season I would consider a very lucky season. It was ridiculous how many breaks the Lions got to get that flukey 11-5 record. It's a result oriented business and Mayhew didn't get the results.

Ultimately, I think it's a matter of an organization starting fresh. Mayhew and everything else as a result was a remnant of the Millen regime, it's time to move on to an administration with new, fresh ideas.

Edited by NYLion

They're going room by room and firing people it seems. Ian Rappaport saying it's a "total cleanout".

I don't see any evidence of this yet.

Mayhew & Lewand the only ones so far. And Stafford gone in the off-season is only speculation at this point.

I'll take a stab at the chances Stafford gets traded this off-season: 0.2%

Indeed, we need to see what she does as she could blow our socks off and make a excellent hire for GM.

Edited by Kamakzie

I'm not even sure who is left that would be qualified to comment on Stafford's status in the organization. It's all going to depend on the guy they bring in to run things.

Rapaport reporting that stafford's future with the organization is very much in doubt.

Eh, I didn't take that as a report. I took it as a click-baiting, speculative tweet.

Stafford might be too far gone now. Probably has PTSD caused by being on a crappy team for so long. I guess we will let the new general manager figure all this out.

PS. There was a report earlier today that said that Jim Bob had to dumb down the playbook for Stafford. That is not a good sign for a guy who's been in the league for 7 years.

Of course he'll retire to maintain his image. Look, the guy is a great coach, but if you took Tom Brady off of that team and substituted him with a lesser QB, no way does Belichick look as good as he does or win the titles he wins.

In 2008, Brady missed 15 games and a very mediocre Matt Cassel went 10-5 and then was able to flip Cassel and an aging Vrable to the Chiefs for a second round pick that ended up being a solid starter Chung. He may not win multiple Super Bowls like he did with Brady, but he will be fine without Brady. I wouldn't be surprised if he finds the next Brady.

Not really surprised about Mayhew, but I am that Lewand was included. He seems to have survived everything, & has been there a long, long time.

PS. There was a report earlier today that said that Jim Bob had to dumb down the playbook for Stafford. That is not a good sign for a guy who's been in the league for 7 years.

Prolly had to dumb it down because he only gets about a second to throw the ball.