belcherboy

Michigan Recruiting 2016

A Michigan diploma and membership in the elite fraternity of Michigan football players is as good as a sack of money.

You could say the same thing about any number of schools though.

They can get the diploma / be in an elite fraternity AND get the sack of cash.

And that prsumes Michigan isn't parting with sacks of cash either.

I wish more kids saw the big picture like this. A friend of mine is a coach up in suburban ATL and he had to practically beg an undersized back to pick Air Force over several mid-majors. Unless you are completely hopeless, graduating from a service academy is all but insuring your future.

Maybe the kid didn't want to go to a service academy because of the commitment it entails relative other universities.

Maybe the kid didn't want to go to a service academy because of the commitment it entails relative other universities.

That's not it at all, at least with this kid. At 5'9" 150lbs, Max Preps listed him as the 247th best player in GA. What does it say that I couldn't find his profile on either the Scout or Rivals database? If you can find it, go ahead and knock my research skills. He had some upside, including being an excellent high school point guard and running a consistent and honest 4.5 forty.

The kid thought he was going to get showered with SEC offers or maybe get an FSU offer, thought he was too good of a player to play at Air Force. That's just not realistic for a kid that small that doesn't have 4.3 speed.

Anyways, the kid has had himself a nice football career and has set himself up for success by not taking that Georgia Southern or East Carolina offer. I mean, he could have done okay out of school with one of those degrees but by taking the Air Force offer he is now part of an alumni network that all but insures a good career once he has satisfied his service commitment. Graduating as an officer, of course he has an instant career with the fairly cushy Air Force. Lots of perks there, lots of opportunity to get an advanced degree for free-ninety-nine.

I wish more kids saw the big picture like this. A friend of mine is a coach up in suburban ATL and he had to practically beg an undersized back to pick Air Force over several mid-majors. Unless you are completely hopeless, graduating from a service academy is all but insuring your future.

If a kid actually wants to nail his name in the pages of history with authority. There wouldn't be a better way than leading the final offensive against the alien invaders from Zarg. Michigan/OSU and Auburn and Alabama play every year

In my five years covering HS football from Palm Bay to Palm Beach Gardens I can count the local kids who I have heard about getting cash on one hand. There's been some talent coming out of here, several three and four star guys each year with a five-star maybe every four or five years. The entire SEC and ACC recruits here. Sparty tried to for awhile but it seems like they gave up.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, or that I should be hearing about it, but the kids all talk and not just amongst themselves.

Could be true. I had a few friends involved in the recruiting world and the assured me this is how it went down, but maybe they saw a smaller portion of things than it seemed. IIRC, when there was the HBO(or showtime?) special about teams like Auburn doing the cash handshake, Michigan State was mentioned. I'm not saying every 3 star gets 100K in a briefcase, but the teams that get 5 star players have all probably parted with cash/gifts at some point in the process. Michigan is home to the Fab Five after all.

That's not it at all, at least with this kid. At 5'9" 150lbs, Max Preps listed him as the 247th best player in GA. What does it say that I couldn't find his profile on either the Scout or Rivals database? If you can find it, go ahead and knock my research skills. He had some upside, including being an excellent high school point guard and running a consistent and honest 4.5 forty.

The kid thought he was going to get showered with SEC offers or maybe get an FSU offer, thought he was too good of a player to play at Air Force. That's just not realistic for a kid that small that doesn't have 4.3 speed.

Anyways, the kid has had himself a nice football career and has set himself up for success by not taking that Georgia Southern or East Carolina offer. I mean, he could have done okay out of school with one of those degrees but by taking the Air Force offer he is now part of an alumni network that all but insures a good career once he has satisfied his service commitment. Graduating as an officer, of course he has an instant career with the fairly cushy Air Force. Lots of perks there, lots of opportunity to get an advanced degree for free-ninety-nine.

Fair enough. I didn't get out of your original post that the kid had delusions of getting SEC offers as a 5' 9" point guard.

I thought perhaps he was reticent to go to AFA for other reasons.

Could be true. I had a few friends involved in the recruiting world and the assured me this is how it went down, but maybe they saw a smaller portion of things than it seemed. IIRC, when there was the HBO(or showtime?) special about teams like Auburn doing the cash handshake, Michigan State was mentioned. I'm not saying every 3 star gets 100K in a briefcase, but the teams that get 5 star players have all probably parted with cash/gifts at some point in the process. Michigan is home to the Fab Five after all.

My guess is it is a fairly infrequent thing, but the simple fact PSU looked the other way on the Sandusky thing only serves (to me at least) to illustrate the lengths individuals will go to protect and forward the organization that generate large sums of revenue they support, and that includes boosters.

I think it is very easy for a coach to convince himself a given athlete is the necessary piece ro win a championship and further convince himself the other guys are doing it [giving recruits money], so what is the big deal, really.

So I expect most of the major programs have done it at times. I suspect it isn't super widespread because it would get out more frequently than it seems to if it were.

Just my overall sense of it.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

I do not believe Michigan pays players (anymore, they obviously used to). This is a much bigger problem in basketball where most of the big schools pay AAU coaches etc. I don't really think it's a big deal in football outside of isolated events like Ole Miss suddenly becoming a national recruiting power

But even there, how much was it really Michigan? Ed Martin was *not* a Michigan booster. If he was, then why was he giving money to players who went to other schools(which he most certainly did)? And would a booster keep giving money to players even after the player's been told this guy is persona non grata?

I'm not saying the athletic department was an innocent victim/bystander by any stretch(Steve Fisher alone saw to that), but the truth of that whole episode is quite different from the commonly known narrative.

I am starting to get really annoyed with Harbaugh antics. It's turning into a clown show. He doesn't need to do it - he coached a Super Bowl and knows how to get guys in the NFL and has that giant stadium - the climbing trees and sleepovers and Ric Flair stuff is just silly and it's undignified.

I am starting to get really annoyed with Harbaugh antics. It's turning into a clown show. He doesn't need to do it - he coached a Super Bowl and knows how to get guys in the NFL and has that giant stadium - the climbing trees and sleepovers and Ric Flair stuff is just silly and it's undignified.

Not to mention winning 10 games this year, oh for the days of Brady Hoke.

Adults using the word "silly" is beyond creepy.

As for Harbaugh, recruits love him. He is just showing interest in their activities outside of football. Watching Netflix, going to school, climbing trees, whatever, just makes the kids feel at home with him. I don't see anything wrong with it, or winning for that matter. Relax man.

Adults using the word "silly" is beyond creepy.

As for Harbaugh, recruits love him. He is just showing interest in their activities outside of football. Watching Netflix, going to school, climbing trees, whatever, just makes the kids feel at home with him. I don't see anything wrong with it, or winning for that matter. Relax man.

Probably not an act. Harbaugh's 'genius' is not having grown up himself.

Good lord man get a grip. First of all, if you pay attention, a lot of coaches do this stuff. Everyone wants to make their visit memorable, to make you stand out from all the other visits. Second of all, are we seriously bitching about Harbaugh? Seriously? Yeesh

The $EC is the step-son of the old Southwest Conference, to be sure. Even though just Arkansas and TAMU are the only two members to have joined the SEC, the tradition of rampant money/goods transfers to student-athletes definitely still happens. It just doesn't happen as often.

I would be pretty surprised if Harbaugh's program has come out of pocket for a recruit, but not floored. And the Fab Five stuff is well-documented, for sure, but do you really think JB is cheating? LOL. I'm old enough to have attended one of Bill Frieder's basketball camps at Michigan, and the guy just oozed of slime. I never had a doubt they cheated to get guys like Joubert, Mills, Robinson and Higgins. But at today's Michigan, after the Ed Martin scandal and "Practicegate"--I can't see it.

And right on cue; Ole Miss accused of violations; supposedly 30 or more across 3 sports including football.

And right on cue; Ole Miss accused of violations; supposedly 30 or more across 3 sports including football.

I saw that...good timing.

I don't know how they got away with it as long as they did, being Ole Miss and all.

Who do they think they are, USC?

Yeah, and the clown uniforms every team wears now are dumb, but players like them, so who cares? The players like this stuff too, and it gives Michigan recruiting attention that would probably be going to Ohio State, Alabama, etc instead. Making Michigan a 'cool' place to be recruited by is a big positive step for the program, and it will certainly pay off long term.

I'm not sure how you continue to maintain your status as the worst poster on this board. it's prolific, really.