belcherboy

Michigan Recruiting 2016

I get the impression that Harbaugh and his staff tend to get focused in on certain recruits to the detriment of others. They definitely need to improve their communication abilities. I don't really have an issue with dropping a guy, that's the nature of recruiting and I expect the player would rather end up at a different school than come to Michigan and find out he wasn't good enough to play and end up transferring anyway.

But, they need to do a lot better job of making that clear to these kids instead of ghosting on them. It's like a relationship where you just try to stop returning someone's calls instead of dumping them. Not cool.

I get the impression that Harbaugh and his staff tend to get focused in on certain recruits to the detriment of others. They definitely need to improve their communication abilities. I don't really have an issue with dropping a guy, that's the nature of recruiting and I expect the player would rather end up at a different school than come to Michigan and find out he wasn't good enough to play and end up transferring anyway.

But, they need to do a lot better job of making that clear to these kids instead of ghosting on them. It's like a relationship where you just try to stop returning someone's calls instead of dumping them. Not cool.

It's hard to say without knowing the exact details. I'm also skeptical of the details that have been released from various recruits. They don't really have anything to lose by twisting the facts to make them come off as more sympathetic. I don't think many recruits looking to get a new offer want to say that their previous team didn't think they were good enough. Or that the coaches were telling him that their offer was contingent on improved performance or the decision of other players ahead of them.

It's a delicate balancing act. Most kids continue to talk to other teams and look for better opportunities after committing.

Any kid good enough to get a scholarship from Michigan won't have trouble finding a good team even if they drop him the day before signing day.

Until Michigan starts grayshirting kids after they have signed a NLI, I don't really have an issue with how they conduct recruiting.

Is it true the kid didn't show up for the camp the new coaching staff asked him to attend? Is it true that his HS coaches let it be known they were concerned that the kid was playing soft in his senior season for fear of getting hurt because he had the offer in hand? How the bleep is that cool?

Is it true the kid didn't show up for the camp the new coaching staff asked him to attend? Is it true that his HS coaches let it be known they were concerned that the kid was playing soft in his senior season for fear of getting hurt because he had the offer in hand? How the bleep is that cool?

That's the point. If he was such a lazy useless sack of crap, why didn't they tell him months and months ago that he had lost his scholarship? Was it that hard for Jim Harbaugh to pick up the phone and say 'sorry son, you haven't worked hard enough this year, and we're moving on'

That's the point. If he was such a lazy useless sack of crap, why didn't they tell him months and months ago that he had lost his scholarship? Was it that hard for Jim Harbaugh to pick up the phone and say 'sorry son, you haven't worked hard enough this year, and we're moving on'

From what I've read they told him that, more or less.

November is when that was apparently made clear to the kid. According to what I've read. So, the January drama is the kid's attempt to get back at Harbaugh.

I haven't heard anyone dispute that Harbaugh himself stopped contacting him. Everything I've read was that he was supposed to "look around" in November. I totally understand that this is coach speak for "we're talking away your scholarship" but he was still schedule for an OV last week until Michigan canceled it. It's hard to imagine that they'd already told him his scholarship was pulled but left that on the docket.

Well, meanwhile, Jordan Elliot, having already decommitted from two schools and spent the past few weeks publicly blasting any reporter who suggested he was even considering any schools other than Michigan, is set to unleash decommit #3 and commit to Texas

Recruiting high school football is a crazy process. In my five seasons covering high school football in Florida, I saw things that most people only get to read about or speculate on.

A former OL I got close with during those years is a junior at Princeton, but is only there because most of the programs that were recruiting him dropped him like a bad habit when he broke his leg during a non-contact drill during spring ball as a rising senior. At the end of the day, schools like Penn/Princeton/Colgate battled it out for his LOI instead of some more football-centric schools. This ended up being a blessing, because he never ends up at Princeton otherwise in spite of his 4.2 GPA/30 ACT. If he does he has to put a year in at a prep school first, but either way . . . this guy is friends with Swenson and swears his buddy wouldn't lie about Michigan not contacting him.

But his dad, grandfather, brother and sister are Gold Domers--so grain of salt.

My take, for what it is worth, is that Swenson might as well have relinquished his scholly when he didn't show up for summer camp in AA. Not being willing to compete at your "future school", sing for your supper if you will, is a huge red flag to a born competitor like Harbaugh. Or any college football coach worth anything, really. Reports of his decline--not even plateau--in performance since his sophomore year from rival coaches may sound petty on their part, but would they all collude against the kid?

Over-recruiting has been a big deal for me for years, and I guess it still is. That said, Swenson wasn't to be officially committed until he faxed in his LOI. I've seen a kid who decided on LOI day not to go to Miami after being verbally committed there since their sophomore year and end up at a mid-level SEC school with some pocket money for his troubles. The kid was from a well-off family, too, so it was a real head-scratcher.

The fact is that Swenson has an opportunity to go to Northwestern now, and bless Fitz's heart for offering the kid. I hope they both end up happy. But Greenstein was dead wrong for printing that spew, as was the DN for regurgitating/importing it to Motown. Shame on him, really, and probably shame on Swenson for feeling like he needed to draw that kind of attention to himself. There are right and wrong ways to do things, and there are certain realities that go along with being a non-premium prospect.

Edited by mickeyb105

Supposedly Swenson will have more than one B1G offer coming his way, if not already done so.

Of course, Harbaugh is not allowed to comment on a specific recruit.

Dwumfour committed today, a good friend of Gary's.

Nice pick up yesterday; two southern Defensive players, drawing a blank on their name at the moment.

Michigan recruits like the big boys now. This isn't 1990 anymore.

Not sure how I feel about it. But I've mostly accepted it. I got tired of feeling morally superior every year while Michigan got their asses kicked.

The only problem I have is that there are already recruits tweeting about it in a negative way. I suppose Michigan needs to get better at spinning things like the SEC schools do

Michigan is on the cusp of a top-3 class right now, maybe #1 with a surprise signing.

Once Michigan football starts paying players like the SEC programs do, then I'll get concerned. Teenagers tweeting about two and three star recruits getting offers pulled is pretty meh.

Harbaugh winning games and turning guys into better NFL prospects will always have a lot more weight than the tweets of 2 star recruits

Eddie McDoom commits to UM. WR from FL.

Hudson announcing at 3pm today UM is a finalist there as well.

Eddie McDoom commits to UM. WR from FL.

Hudson announcing at 3pm today UM is a finalist there as well.

I was pretty surprised at the McDoom chase/commit, as Johnson is a very similar prospect. However, if you take into account that McDoom plays against some of the best competition in the country at West Orange and Johnson played against inferior TN competition, I do see the logic.

Hudson is a nice get.

Michigan is on the cusp of a top-3 class right now, maybe #1 with a surprise signing.

Once Michigan football starts paying players like the SEC programs do, then I'll get concerned. Teenagers tweeting about two and three star recruits getting offers pulled is pretty meh.

All these schools are giving briefcases and handshakes full of money to these kids. Don't get it twisted.

I was pretty surprised at the McDoom chase/commit, as Johnson is a very similar prospect. However, if you take into account that McDoom plays against some of the best competition in the country at West Orange and Johnson played against inferior TN competition, I do see the logic.

Hudson is a nice get.

Supposedly he was at the top of the WR list for UM staff, they never stopped recruiting him. Per Scout anyways.

All these schools are giving briefcases and handshakes full of money to these kids. Don't get it twisted.

A Michigan diploma and membership in the elite fraternity of Michigan football players is as good as a sack of money.

Michigan recruits like the big boys now. This isn't 1990 anymore.

Not sure how I feel about it. But I've mostly accepted it. I got tired of feeling morally superior every year while Michigan got their asses kicked.

I think it happens everywhere, all the time. But with the "harbaugh" effect, it is being treated like huge news. I think he is just a brutally honest guy, which in the end, is in the best interest for both parties. Both kids came out afterward and said they are just upset they wont be playing at UM, not that they are mad at JH. These sports writers just need something to attack him about, so they leaped at it. Won't be an issue after next Wednesday.

In my five years covering HS football from Palm Bay to Palm Beach Gardens I can count the local kids who I have heard about getting cash on one hand. There's been some talent coming out of here, several three and four star guys each year with a five-star maybe every four or five years. The entire SEC and ACC recruits here. Sparty tried to for awhile but it seems like they gave up.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, or that I should be hearing about it, but the kids all talk and not just amongst themselves.

A Michigan diploma and membership in the elite fraternity of Michigan football players is as good as a sack of money.

I wish more kids saw the big picture like this. A friend of mine is a coach up in suburban ATL and he had to practically beg an undersized back to pick Air Force over several mid-majors. Unless you are completely hopeless, graduating from a service academy is all but insuring your future.

Supposedly he was at the top of the WR list for UM staff, they never stopped recruiting him. Per Scout anyways.

I know who the kid is and how the staff felt about him, but there are guys like McDoom all over this state. Hard to argue with Harbaugh as an evaluator, though. He obviously sees something.