belcherboy

Michigan Recruiting 2016

Is there any word on when Gary is going to make his announcement? Is he just gonna wait till signing day? After seeing ESPN and 247's prediction that he is coming to Ann Arbor, I'm going to be disappointed if he goes somewhere else.

Sam Webb is a great go-to guy for signing predictions.

Bush is a very solid and potentiasly important get

Bush has some of the best feet you'll see at LB, great motor.

He and Gil were the ones who shut down one of the best run offenses in the country to win the state championship here in FL. That said, I'm pretty sure Gil was recruited to lock up Bush.

4-star OT Erik Swenson decommits from Michigan | | Detroit Sports Nation

http://twitter.com/Eiek77/status/689855063330832384/photo/1

It looks like Michigan lost a 4* OT. Mlive is reporting that Michigan pulled his scholarship??

The four-star offensive tackle said Michigan recently pulled its scholarship offer and canceled his previously-scheduled official visit. He said the program did not provide a reason for doing so. He declined to speak further on the matter at this time.

Something must have went down. Weird.

USA Today had him as one of their top 8 OT's from this past football season: USA Today names All-USA first and second team offense

I wonder if we'll ever figure out what happened? Both sides are pretty much moving on and not wanting to talk about it. This kid probably had 10 scholarship offers from top 25 programs in the past hour. He'll be fine, and so will Michigan. It just is REALLY weird.

USA Today had him as one of their top 8 OT's from this past football season: USA Today names All-USA first and second team offense

I wonder if we'll ever figure out what happened? Both sides are pretty much moving on and not wanting to talk about it. This kid probably had 10 scholarship offers from top 25 programs in the past hour. He'll be fine, and so will Michigan. It just is REALLY weird.

What went down was that Michigan reneged on their commitment to him, same thing happened to Enis today. I'll wager now that Bush is signed the same thing happens to 1 or both of the lower rated kids from his HS. Welcome SEC tactics to the B1GTen.

Michigan and Coach Harbaugh Rescind Offer for Lineman...

Swenson told the Free Press he wishes the coaches had told him sooner. He was scheduled for an official visit on Jan. 15, and that was postponed for a week. When he didn’t received details about the rescheduled visit, he reached out to the coaches.

“They said, ‘You’re not going to come up anymore,’” Swenson told the Free Press. “That’s pretty much all that happened in that phone call. We didn’t talk that much longer.”

He heard the news from an assistant. Swenson never spoke with Harbaugh.

His high school coach was told Swenson could try out for the team as a walk-on.

Now, most of the top schools that tried to recruit Swenson have signed commitments from other players. Their coaches have told Swenson they cannot do to them what Michigan has done to him. He respects that.

What went down was that Michigan reneged on their commitment to him, same thing happened to Enis today. I'll wager now that Bush is signed the same thing happens to 1 or both of the lower rated kids from his HS. Welcome SEC tactics to the B1GTen.

Michigan and Coach Harbaugh Rescind Offer for Lineman...

If there is truth to the report that he wasn't making the improvements that he needed. This is the best thing for that kid. Life isn't a pink and baby blue nursery. These are the inner demons that fire life success. Or, he is on a direct path to homelessness.

If there is truth to the report that he wasn't making the improvements that he needed. This is the best thing for that kid. Life isn't a pink and baby blue nursery. These are the inner demons that fire life success. Or, he is on a direct path to homelessness.

The report that he wasn't making improvements just doesn't make sense to me. This kid was on two major publications as being in the top 10 at his position after his senior season:

USA Today names All-USA first and second team offense

MaxPreps 2015 Football All-American Team - MaxPreps

It looks to me like Michigan just decided that they didn't need this kid, and had another kid that they needed to give that scholarship to. I don't think it is dirty, because every season kids back out of their commitment as late as NSD, so I don't think it's out of bounds for a school to do it 2 weeks before that day. I just hate to see my team do it.

Here is another article about the situation: Football recruiting: Downers South OT Erik Swenson has offer pulled from Michigan - Chicago Tribune

Erik Swenson proudly showed his loyalty to Michigan for more than two years, but now unexpectedly is without a college.

The Downers Grove South offensive tackle announced Wednesday via Twitter that he will re-open his commitment after Michigan pulled his scholarship offer. The 6-foot-7, 310-pound Swenson, a four-star recruit, admitted the news caught him by surprise.

Swenson committed to then-Michigan coach Brady Hoke on Nov. 25, 2013, and remained loyal throughout a troubled period for the Wolverines until Jim Harbaugh resurrected the program this past season. Swenson was the first player to commit to Michigan's Class of 2016, which now has 22 recruits.

Swenson, whose room at home is adorned with Michigan posters, said he spoke with Wolverines offensive coordinator and offensive line coach Tim Drevno about a month ago.

"He said, 'Get ready to play for us and keep working and getting stronger and faster. We're looking forward to you playing for us.'

"Fast forward a month," Swenson continued, "they called me last week saying I should re-open my recruitment and take other visits. My family and I were shaken by it. That's when the whole mess started."

Swenson said he called Drevno twice this week, asking if he still had a scholarship to Michigan. The first question was answered with a maybe.

"I called again (Tuesday) and was told that there were no spots left by Coach Drevno," Swenson said. "I tried to talk to Coach Harbaugh, but he didn't want to talk to me."

Swenson is now caught in a time crunch because National Signing Day is Wednesday, Feb. 3. Most colleges prefer to have recruits sign on or near that date. Swenson is scheduled to play in the International Bowl on Jan. 31 at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

He said he plans to leave for the game on Jan. 26. The contact period for college coaches to visit and talk with potential recruits ends on Jan. 30.

Swenson, the No. 6 senior prospect in the state in 247Sports' composite recruiting rankings, said Northwestern, Illinois, Minnesota, Vanderbilt, Colorado, Washington State and Central Michigan had already offered him scholarships by mid-afternoon Wednesday. He had yet to return calls to UCLA, Penn State and Arkansas, among others.

"This is my only true weekend to visit schools, so this is my only true opportunity to talk to coaches," Swenson said. "This is the first day of recruiting for me. I feel like I'm back to my sophomore year again.

"It's been a crazy day. I haven't been off my phone."

In August, Downers Grove South coach Mark Molinari talked extensively about Swenson's loyalty.

"Erik is just a really loyal individual," Molinari said. "Once he makes up his mind, he sticks with it."

Swenson prefers not to "burn any bridges" and say anything negative about Harbaugh or his staff. He's focused on finding a new school.

"I was kind of taken aback in the beginning, but that's how those coaches are," he said. "There's nothing you can change about them. They believe that's how you should run the university and what's best for the team. I was taken aback.

"I fully intended to play there. I was nothing but loyal and was committed over two years. I helped them recruit several guys that are still there. I just felt used."

The report that he wasn't making improvements just doesn't make sense to me. This kid was on two major publications as being in the top 10 at his position after his senior season:

USA Today names All-USA first and second team offense

MaxPreps 2015 Football All-American Team - MaxPreps

It looks to me like Michigan just decided that they didn't need this kid, and had another kid that they needed to give that scholarship to. I don't think it is dirty, because every season kids back out of their commitment as late as NSD, so I don't think it's out of bounds for a school to do it 2 weeks before that day. I just hate to see my team do it.

Here is another article about the situation: Football recruiting: Downers South OT Erik Swenson has offer pulled from Michigan - Chicago Tribune

All we need now is for a Michael Rosenberg to go on a crusade about the purity of the program and for some hacks inside the university to join the pitchfork and torches on that.

They did pull the scholarships to Enis and Rashad Weaver, but they did so properly, months ago when they had plenty of time to take other visits and find a replacement school. Given that players can decommit, I have no problem with that.

However, the Swenson thing is not cool. If they didn't want him, they should have told him a long time ago so he'd have plenty of time to find a new school, not three weeks before NSD. That's the kind of thing that Ohio State and the SEC schools like to pull, and it's not any better when it's Harbaugh doing it. Very disappointing.

They did pull the scholarships to Enis and Rashad Weaver, but they did so properly, months ago when they had plenty of time to take other visits and find a replacement school. Given that players can decommit, I have no problem with that.

However, the Swenson thing is not cool. If they didn't want him, they should have told him a long time ago so he'd have plenty of time to find a new school, not three weeks before NSD. That's the kind of thing that Ohio State and the SEC schools like to pull, and it's not any better when it's Harbaugh doing it. Very disappointing.

I thought Enis was just pulled? They pulled his scholarship months ago? I wonder what took him so long to de-commit?

Enis said his scholly was not pulled, fwiw.

Insiders say Swenson was asked to attend their summer camp and refused. Asked to take official visits elsewhere in December but refused also. In the fall he was told his offer was contingent on performance, and by all counts his film wasn't great.

So it sounds like he was really banking on his offer being iron clad to the point where he didn't really take advice from coaches. I think it's best that the kid goes elsewhere and the coaches know this. Better for him to transfer now than in a year or two.

Still very bad on Michigan's part to officially pull the scholly this late, even if he was being given hints.

Enis can say what he wants, maybe it wasn't "offically" pulled, but he was setting up other visits and Michigan people were talking about Michigan having "cooled" on him way back in November. (Same with Weaver) so it seems pretty clear to me. Never heard anything like that about Swenson until this week.

If the stuff about him not attending the camp etc is true that definitely makes it less awful though

Enis said his scholly was not pulled, fwiw.

Insiders say Swenson was asked to attend their summer camp and refused. Asked to take official visits elsewhere in December but refused also. In the fall he was told his offer was contingent on performance, and by all counts his film wasn't great.

So it sounds like he was really banking on his offer being iron clad to the point where he didn't really take advice from coaches. I think it's best that the kid goes elsewhere and the coaches know this. Better for him to transfer now than in a year or two.

Still very bad on Michigan's part to officially pull the scholly this late, even if he was being given hints.

That makes a lot more sense. Hopefully we'll get to see some more about this as the recruiting period ends.

I too think it was poor for Michigan to wait this long. If he refused camp this summer and again pushed the coaches advice away December, either time would have been an opportune time to cut him loose. No biggie though. I'm sure this class is going to survive and thrive regardless.

hahaha.

I have no problem with any of this. At this stage of the program, you have to do what you can do to get good enough to get the privilege of being obliterated in the playoff semifinals.

I had forgotten about that. All this late shuffling is certainly new to Michigan.

FWIW, people were saying a month ago that a lot of the early offers/commits were some form of gray shirt offers, and/or contingent on grades, and/or contingent on performance, and/or contingent on other recruits not committing. OT1H, I don't want to speculate on high school kids, OTOH I don't want to see the school taking **** if it's not deserved and they're not allowed to explain things.

This is why people say it's best to ignore everything until NSD, I guess.

I have no problem with any of this. At this stage of the program, you have to do what you can do to get good enough to get the privilege of being obliterated in the playoff semifinals.

I have no problem with any of this either, as long as the staff is straightforward with the kids.

With Swenson tho, somebody lied. Either the staff lied somewhere along the line about how iron clad the offer was, or Swenson is lying now about what he was or wasn't told.

I have no problem with any of this either, as long as the staff is straightforward with the kids.

With Swenson tho, somebody lied. Either the staff lied somewhere along the line about how iron clad the offer was, or Swenson is lying now about what he was or wasn't told.

or maybe people just heard what they wanted to hear and/or understood implicit messages to be received when they were not. The nature of the system and the long leads for the various levels of commitment create a system that sometimes isn't very pretty to watch play out. I'd be in favor of making all commitments come later and have them all be more binding on both sides.

I think this is Harbaugh being so clever so as to smoke out his internal enemies. At some point he and Swenson will reveal that they were just doing this to identify the Rosenbergs (that looks horrible as I type it...ah well, bleep it_)