belcherboy

Michigan Recruiting 2016

Maybe I'm just buying into all the hype of some of the "Pro Michigan" websites, but these two things popped up on those message boards the past few days:

BREAKING: Nation's Top RB Decommits From Buckeyes

The nation's top running back according to the 247Sports Composite Ranking, Wayne (NJ) DePaul Catholic four-star Kareem Walker, has decommitted from Ohio State.

Michigan, led by Tyrone Wheatley and Jim Harbaugh, appear to be the favorites for his services.

The Wolverines hosted Walker officially for their game against Northwestern last month and have been considered a viable threat for his services since around that time. Walker is ranked the 2nd best player in New Jersey according to the 247Sports Composite, behind the nation's #1 player in Rashan Gary, another prospect believed to be favoring Michigan.

And living in Georgia, this was on every Georgia Bulldog fans facebook feed:

BREAKING: Nation's #2 QB Recruit Jacob Eason (Georgia Commit) Has Reached Out To Michigan, Alabama, Florida, and Notre Dame

Eason is likely to come as a package-deal with the nation's #1 TE, 5-star Isaac Nauta. Nauta has long been considered leaning to Georgia, but would likely look around more if Richt was no longer the coach. Nauta and Eason have spoken multiple times in the past few days, and have Michigan as ther mutual #1, with Florida a close second.

I never thought they would fire Mark Richt, as he is averaging nearly 10 wins a season over the past 14 years at the University of Georgia, but I've never seen so many news sources around here hinting that there are discussions going on right now. If they do let Richt go (which I think is foolish, from an outsiders perspective), Eason is definitely a free agent IMO.

It's looking pretty good for Michigan's recruiting class right now, and if they manage to upset the Buckeyes at the end of the year, you may just see this class EXPLODE into one of the greatest classes in Michigan history.

Seems like Michigan is mentioned a lot when it comes to top recruits. Which is exciting.

A win against that other school would indeed be huge. Even a close loss along the lines of the sparty game would go a long way.

Maybe I'm just buying into all the hype of some of the "Pro Michigan" websites, but these two things popped up on those message boards the past few days:

BREAKING: Nation's Top RB Decommits From Buckeyes

And living in Georgia, this was on every Georgia Bulldog fans facebook feed:

BREAKING: Nation's #2 QB Recruit Jacob Eason (Georgia Commit) Has Reached Out To Michigan, Alabama, Florida, and Notre Dame

I never thought they would fire Mark Richt, as he is averaging nearly 10 wins a season over the past 14 years at the University of Georgia, but I've never seen so many news sources around here hinting that there are discussions going on right now. If they do let Richt go (which I think is foolish, from an outsiders perspective), Eason is definitely a free agent IMO.

It's looking pretty good for Michigan's recruiting class right now, and if they manage to upset the Buckeyes at the end of the year, you may just see this class EXPLODE into one of the greatest classes in Michigan history.

Just my .02, but Kareem Walker has been making eyes at Wheatley/Harbaugh now for a few months--at this point I bet it is 50/50 he goes with Michigan. Peppers doesn't insure Michigan gets every top NJ recruit, but he does insure that they don't overlook the Maize and Blue.

As far as Harbaugh taking on a third quarterback in this class (one scholly, the other a preferred walk-on), I guess I'll believe it when I see it. Harbaugh, but the accounts of a few in the recruiting world, has found his Luck 2.0 in Brandon Peters. As it stands, Michigan has O'Korn (RS JR), Malzone (RS FR), Gentry (RS FR), Speight (RS SO) and Morris (RS JR) as it stands if all stay and don't change position for Fall 2016. From 30K feet, it looks like Harbaugh is setting up Morris to transfer and retain his JR/SR years of elg. From 20K feet, it looks like O'Korn will favored to start next season with Speight, Malzone and Peters all competing hard to challenge him. Gentry is a wild card, as he could easily be moved to TE, but he has so much upside as a 6'6 245 LB mobile QB.

As far as Nauta goes, I know Harbaugh wants him bad. Would he take on another QB, even if it is the #2 rated QB, to get him? I don't know the answer to that. I do feel very strongly that Morris will transfer, but that still leaves five QB--none of whom will be seniors in 2016, and only O'Korn slated to graduate in 2017. Move Gentry to TE and that leaves four scholarship QB plus a preferred walk-on. Could Malzone or Gentry transfer as well? They could, but it seems like both of these really talented students want a Michigan degree out of this deal.

On Richt, I'm not sure I've seen a college coach that wins more football games get treated as badly as him. He has become kind of punchline here in FL, but nobody ever accused of the fans down here of having class or taste.

4* DE Carlo Kemp just committed. This position was a big need in the class. Good get. Weekend keeps getting better and better.

My father and I were shopping during half time figuring to be done with everything by the restart...we emerge from the store and Michigan had put up another 11! points on Rutgers...we were saying how did they do that?

Then we find out that it was Jim Harbaugh doing his 7 Deadly Sins version of Wrath on Rutgers.

Just my .02, but Kareem Walker has been making eyes at Wheatley/Harbaugh now for a few months--at this point I bet it is 50/50 he goes with Michigan. Peppers doesn't insure Michigan gets every top NJ recruit, but he does insure that they don't overlook the Maize and Blue.

As far as Harbaugh taking on a third quarterback in this class (one scholly, the other a preferred walk-on), I guess I'll believe it when I see it. Harbaugh, but the accounts of a few in the recruiting world, has found his Luck 2.0 in Brandon Peters. As it stands, Michigan has O'Korn (RS JR), Malzone (RS FR), Gentry (RS FR), Speight (RS SO) and Morris (RS JR) as it stands if all stay and don't change position for Fall 2016. From 30K feet, it looks like Harbaugh is setting up Morris to transfer and retain his JR/SR years of elg. From 20K feet, it looks like O'Korn will favored to start next season with Speight, Malzone and Peters all competing hard to challenge him. Gentry is a wild card, as he could easily be moved to TE, but he has so much upside as a 6'6 245 LB mobile QB.

As far as Nauta goes, I know Harbaugh wants him bad. Would he take on another QB, even if it is the #2 rated QB, to get him? I don't know the answer to that. I do feel very strongly that Morris will transfer, but that still leaves five QB--none of whom will be seniors in 2016, and only O'Korn slated to graduate in 2017. Move Gentry to TE and that leaves four scholarship QB plus a preferred walk-on. Could Malzone or Gentry transfer as well? They could, but it seems like both of these really talented students want a Michigan degree out of this deal.

On Richt, I'm not sure I've seen a college coach that wins more football games get treated as badly as him. He has become kind of punchline here in FL, but nobody ever accused of the fans down here of having class or taste.

I don't know about Harbaugh adding another QB either. I'm not a fan of how he's handled QB recruiting so far and thought maybe it was out of necessity. Now I read murmurings about some of the early commits (lower ranked, non-QB recruits) are looking elsewhere. I don't know if it's out of choice or a cold shoulder as more highly rated kids have shown interest.

I'm kind of surprised he lasted this long before decommitting. I wonder if Eason may give Michigan a look now that Richt is out of Georgia? Although we probably don't need another QB at this point, even with losing Victor. I did like a guy named Victor coming to Michigan with our "Hail to the Victors" theme.

Four-star decommits from Michigan

Edited by belcherboy

I'm kind of surprised he lasted this long before decommitting. I wonder if Eason may give Michigan a look now that Richt is out of Georgia? Although we probably don't need another QB at this point, even with losing Victor. I did like a guy named Victor coming to Michigan with our "Hail to the Victors" theme.

Four-star decommits from Michigan

"We have been told that Viramontes was given bad information from a member of his camp that Michigan wouldn’t give him a shot at quarterback and he would immediately be a fullback or linebacker, which is completely false. Jim Harbaugh see's Viramontes as a high ceiling prospect at quarterback that has a lot of similar qualities to Colin Kaepernick."

Details on Victor Viramontes and Michigan

Looks like Michigan is still working on getting Victor back in the fold

Kind of surprises me. It's hard for me to imagine him sticking at QB with Michigan given the number of guys they already have at the spot, so Cal makes a lot more sense for him. I do like the idea that Harbaugh actually is interested in a Kaepernick style QB though

Four-star LB Devin Bush Jr. commits to Michigan | MLive.com

Bush Sr. was an All-ACC safety (and eventual first-round draft pick) at Florida State from 1992-94. Which means Michigan beat out Florida State for a legacy recruit, inside its own state.

As for the player himself, Bush -- who recently led his Flanagan team to a 12-2 record and a state championship -- ran a 4.65 40-yard dash at The Opening in July, and ranks as the No. 241 player nationally via 247sports' composite ranking.

That's very good news. A recruit the staff liked from the beginning, went hard after, and pried a Florida kid away from FSU. An early enrollee at a position of need.

Hopefully Kareem Walker falls tomorrow, a running back like him is also a position of need.

Sounds like bush could be a starter from day 1 given the returning linebackers next year not inspiring a lot of confidence.

Good stuff.

Quite a class. Now Gary.

The offensive class is super strong, with an OL and TE still likely to come. Need one each of the LB and DB guys we're pursuing to solidify the defensive side. Gary would make the entire class unbelievable.

Walker is Blue. Hells to the yeah!!!

hell yeah!!!

Sam Webb just this morning was saying Florida State had started to make it a close one.

Is there any word on when Gary is going to make his announcement? Is he just gonna wait till signing day? After seeing ESPN and 247's prediction that he is coming to Ann Arbor, I'm going to be disappointed if he goes somewhere else.