Sign in to follow this  
Motor City Sonics

Pontiac Silverdome gets the Death Penalty.

It will be torn down in the spring of 2016. The land is too valuable for potential development to leave it unused.

My favorite memory is the Lions-Jets game in December 1997.

Both teams needed to win to make the playooffs.

The crowd caused at least 2 Delay Of Game penalties. I'd never been in a louder building in my life.

The crowd got even louder when it was announced that Barry Sanders broke the 2,000 yard barrier on a routine play (I turned to my friend and said "He could lose 3 yards the next play) and then he promptly broke off a 53 yard run that iced the game. Earlier in the same game Reggie Brown broke his neck and players were running to go get a stretcher and the place was silent. What an amazing day that was. Feels like 100 years ago.

I was there also. I've have never been to a sporting event since then that has been anything close to that. Going from a deafening roar of the crowd that shook the concrete benith your feet. To absolute silence when Reggie Brown went down.

I think Barry needed almost 200 yards to get 2000.

As much crap as we all give this franchise... Every fan in that place that day gave it thier all to try and will that team to a victory to get in the playoffs.

Edited by JAYB

My favorite memory of the Silverdome is watching the Lions beat the Cowboys in their only playoff win in the Super Bowl era.

Mine is also the 97 Jets game. I remember yelling and not being able to hear myself. It had everything, the win or go home for both teams, Reggie Brown's injury with Johnny Morton sprinting with the stretcher from the other end of the field and Barry's improbable 2,000 yards after only having 20-something the first half, needing 131 and finishing with 184.