jake

Lions miss Raiola

They should have, Ramirez has been one of their best linemen this year and having him sit on the bench is not ideal. I know Swanson is "their guy" but please at least try Ramirez at center (which he says he is most comfortable at anyways) with Tomlinson and Warford at the guards.

I'm really hoping they can get a good LT in the draft and move Reiff to RT.

Gotta try it at this point

I'd be fine with the second part, but at the same time Reiff tends to grade out pretty solidly and is the least of my worries. Getting a solid RT would be just as good IMO.

Raiola was a pretty good center that people hated because of his anger issues. The 'he was not good' crap is WAAAY over played because of his personality. He was a good center and we could use a good center right now. Bottom line.

He was good for about 2 years out of his career, when he had guards playing well next to him. He was too small and easily bullied without that. Most of his career he was an average or worse player.

That said, Swanson has been horrible this year, so he does look good comparatively. But that's kind of like how getting punched in the arm is vastly preferable to being kicked in the nuts. Neither one is a positive thing all the same.

He was good for about 2 years out of his career, when he had guards playing well next to him. He was too small and easily bullied without that. Most of his career he was an average or worse player.

That said, Swanson has been horrible this year, so he does look good comparatively. But that's kind of like how getting punched in the arm is vastly preferable to being kicked in the nuts. Neither one is a positive thing all the same.

That's certainly hyperbolic

Profootball reference has him as the 84th best C to play the game. That is not great, but I never said he was great. But that is pretty far from what everyone on here would try to have those believe who never watched a game. Again...this is a personal dislike of the man because he bullied tuba players and flipped off fans. It is not an accurate representation of his play on the field.

Profootball reference has him as the 84th best C to play the game. ...

HaHa - how much of that is just because he played so long - because the Lions never made any effort to replace him? If he got to be the 84th best based on the judgments of Millen and Mayhew that's a rather suspect standard! :laugh:

And besides, I don't think anyone is saying he was horrible, the consensus is he was adequate - which means he was limited - in Dom's case primarily as contributor to the run game. But a roster full of 'adequate' players is what you miss the play-offs with.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Profootball reference has him as the 84th best C to play the game. That is not great, but I never said he was great. But that is pretty far from what everyone on here would try to have those believe who never watched a game. Again...this is a personal dislike of the man because he bullied tuba players and flipped off fans. It is not an accurate representation of his play on the field.

Actually, those things are the only reason I like him at all. If you watched the games you saw him getting pushed around pretty much every year but 2013. His PFF grades were horrible every year but 2013, and the O-Line overall has mostly been horrible his entire career outside of 2013, so it's not just unhappy Lions fans that feel this way.

HaHa - how much of that is just because he played so long - because the Lions never made any effort to replace him? If he got to be the 84th best based on the judgments of Millen and Mayhew that's a rather suspect standard! :laugh:

And besides, I don't think anyone is saying he was horrible, the consensus is he was adequate - which means he was limited - in Dom's case primarily as contributor to the run game. But a roster full of 'adequate' players is what you miss the play-offs with.

You are not paying enough attention then. :lick:

Maybe we are splitting hairs and using different terminology to basically say the same things.

HaHa - how much of that is just because he played so long

Might have something to do with it, probably cumulative grade of his career.

Dom was fine, he was just too small and he got bullied way too much in the run game in my humble opinion. He was fairly average as far as centers go I'm sure but I don't know enough about the position/other players.