jake

Lions miss Raiola

I wonder if the lions have mauled over Moving Man Ram to center and Swanson to guard. Not because I think Swanson is terrible, but the line sucks right now and sometimes a change is needed.

That's abundantly clear. They appear confused and disorganized.

Didn't he get bounced out of the playoffs with a ridiculously low OPS?

He is not wrong.

He's not right either. There's no certainty, at all, that Raiola makes the OL better. Maybe... maybe a little better, but I can't see it being substantially better. Remember the OL in '14 wasn't great either, granted better than this year, but it still wasn't a strength of the team.

He's not right either. There's no certainty, at all, that Raiola makes the OL better. Maybe... maybe a little better, but I can't see it being substantially better. Remember the OL in '14 wasn't great either, granted better than this year, but it still wasn't a strength of the team.

Raiola was a pretty good center that people hated because of his anger issues. The 'he was not good' crap is WAAAY over played because of his personality. He was a good center and we could use a good center right now. Bottom line.

Raiola was a pretty good center that people hated because of his anger issues. The 'he was not good' crap is WAAAY over played because of his personality. He was a good center and we could use a good center right now. Bottom line.

All of his coaches said Riaola was a smart player and the team did depend on him for many years to call the blocking assignments. That is the part they obviously do miss - that is objective fact as right now they are missing blocking assignments like crazy. What they don't miss is that physically he was overmatched for the NFL game, was never and never could have been a dominant run blocker - and so probably was a big part of the reason that the Lions never had a consistent running game during his career.

He was exactly the kind of player the lions settled for too long when they should have been looking to upgrade. Problem is that they either haven't drafted or coached to replace his contribution, as mixed as it was.

We obviously miss him as he was responsible for calling protections and that is being messed up constantly this year. No need to pretend otherwise. He didn't play well last year, but we haven't replaced that particular role.

Obviously he was much better at calling protections than whoever is doing it now. Could he still play though, IDK. Point of the thread was clear to is all I'm sayin

All of his coaches said Riaola was a smart player and the team did depend on him for many years to call the blocking assignments. That is the part they obviously do miss - that is objective fact as right now they are missing blocking assignments like crazy. What they don't miss is that physically he was overmatched for the NFL game, was never and never could have been a dominant run blocker - and so probably was a big part of the reason that the Lions never had a consistent running game during his career.

He was exactly the kind of player the lions settled for too long when they should have been looking to upgrade. Problem is that they either haven't drafted or coached to replace his contribution, as mixed as it was.

He was a good center with anger issues and people hated him for it. He was not 'always over matched' that is a misnomer that keep getting regurgitated over and over until people believe it as fact. It was not.

I dispute the claim he was a good center. I think he was adequate at the NFL level.

Players who are merely adequate with warts get criticized by fans. Always have and always will. Whether that is fair, well, I'd suggest there are much bigger injustices in life and the world of sports than that.

Obviously he was much better at calling protections than whoever is doing it now. Could he still play though, IDK. Point of the thread was clear to is all I'm sayin

Ostensibly, the point of the thread is to suggest the Lions would be better with him this season than without, presumably because he would be enough better at calling out blocking assignments to make up for his other shortfalls.

I'm not sure that is true on balance. It might be true. Not sure.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

I wonder if the lions have mauled over Moving Man Ram to center and Swanson to guard. Not because I think Swanson is terrible, but the line sucks right now and sometimes a change is needed.

They should have, Ramirez has been one of their best linemen this year and having him sit on the bench is not ideal. I know Swanson is "their guy" but please at least try Ramirez at center (which he says he is most comfortable at anyways) with Tomlinson and Warford at the guards.

I'm really hoping they can get a good LT in the draft and move Reiff to RT.

I think the point of the thread is to suggest the Lions would be better with him this season than without, presumably because he would be enough better at calling out blocking assignments to make up for his other shortfalls.

I'm not sure that is true on balance. It might be true. Not sure.

Fair enough. Just saying, there seems to be credible evidence to suggest we miss him in that area at the very least. His play was bad last year, but Swanson has been just as bad physically, so hard for me to see where we don't gain. 2013 Raiola definitely makes us better,that's for sure.

Fwiw, I agree with your assessment that he was somewhere around adequate.