hail2mich

GDT: #15 Michigan at Minnesota 10/31/2015

I will be singing the Victors on the way to the crappy emergency call to work on a Saturday night after a couple beers.

that was a totally ridiculous ending. MN not taking the three and the tie was almost as dumb as losing a game because the punter didn't cover a snap. And we now officially have a QB controversy. Speight can actually throw the football.

I was watching in a sports bar and didn't notice how the clock went down from 16 seconds when the "TD" was scored to 3 seconds to go after the next play. Was there a 10 - second runoff after the TD call was reversed?

I was watching in a sports bar and didn't notice how the clock went down from 16 seconds when the "TD" was scored to 3 seconds to go after the next play. Was there a 10 - second runoff after the TD call was reversed?

Same here. What happened?

Same here. What happened?

MN just had a brain fart, and didn't realize the clock was starting back up. We were lucky there.

That's a newly minted coach on the MN sideline royally effing it up. Twice. And it was beautiful.

What a GREAT ending! I still can't believe that Michigan won this game.

I'm REALLY enjoying this season so far! I hate to think "what if" when it comes to the MSU game, but it's nice to see Michigan in a position to win each week.

Dissapointing game against a bad team. Michigan is just very limited at QB and that impacts everything.

Should have lost this game and beat MSU.

Dissapointing game against a bad team. Michigan is just very limited at QB and that impacts everything.

Should have lost this game and beat MSU.

Two things stand out to me:

Opposing teams mostly sell out to stop the run because Michigan can't throw deep. The offensive line is not good enough to deal with this, so the offense is quite unreliable outside of the occasional big pass play.

Minnesota seems to be the first team to have figured out that Michigan's weakness on defense is people like Delano Hill, Dymonte Thomas, and the linebackers covering guys in space. Running without making those guys think about the pass is death vs this defense, and likewise throwing vs the corners has been useless outside of great plays by Cook, Burbidge, and Minnesota's WR today. But the big plays are there if you can get a match up in space vs say Desmond Morgan or Dymonte Thomas. (Thought Thomas had a brutal game on special teams and d)

As a bonus note, Jabril Peppers is a monster. Over 90 snaps, kick returner, punt returner, safety, linebacker, cornerback, wide receiver, running back, QB. Big plays on D and well over 100 total yards and a touchdown with the ball in his hands. Should have had a pick six as well if not for a nice play by the RB to get a hand in on him.

Opposing teams mostly sell out to stop the run because Michigan can't throw deep. The offensive line is not good enough to deal with this, so the offense is quite unreliable outside of the occasional big pass play.

Minnesota seems to be the first team to have figured out that Michigan's weakness on defense is people like Delano Hill, Dymonte Thomas, and the linebackers covering guys in space. Running without making those guys think about the pass is death vs this defense, and likewise throwing vs the corners has been useless outside of great plays by Cook, Burbidge, and Minnesota's WR today. But the big plays are there if you can get a match up in space vs say Desmond Morgan or Dymonte Thomas. (Thought Thomas had a brutal game on special teams and d)

As a bonus note, Jabril Peppers is a monster. Over 90 snaps, kick returner, punt returner, safety, linebacker, cornerback, wide receiver, running back, QB. Big plays on D and well over 100 total yards and a touchdown with the ball in his hands. Should have had a pick six as well if not for a nice play by the RB to get a hand in on him.

I guess I can understand Harbaugh committing to Rudock early to get those early wins in the books - but you wonder if they would not be a better team by this point in the season or certainly by the end of the season if he gone with talent over experience and thrown a guy like Speight out there. Obviously we haven't seen enough of him to have any idea what his weaknesses are, but one thing is for sure, he can throw the ball much better than Rudock. The pretzel and beer debate the rest of the way will be how much throwing that much better counts compared to anything/everything else.

so who posts on this account? Do they matter?

Qdd way to put thst. Morris was acting as catcher while Speight was warming up. That wouldn't indicate to me his status has changed any or that he is anyone's dog or house or that he is separated from the team which is almost what that wording implies.

I mean we already know he couldn't beat Rudock out the job and Rudock is not very good. In fact Rudock is downright horrible when it comes to basic throwing ability. Not saying much that Speight has passed him on the depth chart.

Edited by Gehringer_2

I guess I can understand Harbaugh committing to Rudock early to get those early wins in the books - but you wonder if they would not be a better team by this point in the season or certainly by the end of the season if he gone with talent over experience and thrown a guy like Speight out there. Obviously we haven't seen enough of him to have any idea what his weaknesses are, but one thing is for sure, he can throw the ball much better than Rudock. The pretzel and beer debate the rest of the way will be how much throwing that much better counts compared to anything/everything else.

Wins matter. They build recruiting strength going forward. They fought a strong Utah team to the wire and just fluked away the game with MSU and recovered from a crushing injury to their game manager QB to win this one. This is a great coaching group making chicken salad out of things that may have once been part of the chicken.

so who posts on this account? Do they matter?

Qdd way to put thst. Morris was acting as catcher while Speight was warming up. That wouldn't indicate to me his status has changed any or that he is anyone's dog or house or that he is separated from the team which is almost what that wording implies.

I mean we already know he couldn't beat Rudock out the job and Rudock is not very good. In fact Rudock is downright horrible when it comes to basic throwing ability. Not saying much that Speight has passed him on the depth chart.

If you scroll through those tweets there is one where Harbaugh is alleged to have said that Speight no longer makes him nervous when he drops back. I still think both Speight and Morris have more physical talent than Rudock. It looks like Speight is developing quicker. I'm expecting Morris to transfer.

Hill and Thomas are both backups aren't they? Desmond did have a bad game. I don't think it would take half the season for a team to discover Michigan's weakness though. I see their performance more related to failure to match intensity, some improbable catches and Michigan failing to pick off 4-6 balls that were there for the taking.

If you scroll through those tweets there is one where Harbaugh is alleged to have said that Speight no longer makes him nervous when he drops back. I still think both Speight and Morris have more physical talent than Rudock. It looks like Speight is developing quicker. I'm expecting Morris to transfer.

I think the best news of the game is Speight beating out Morris and not looking like puke. He's still only a RS-frosh, and that first year may not have been with good coaching.

Not to go overboard on 45 yds passing or anything, but it shows progress.

MN just had a brain fart, and didn't realize the clock was starting back up. We were lucky there.

I was at the bar as well and once the clock started running and Minn sent all these guys in motion and changed formation I said this is working out well for us. 3 people went wtf to me before they noticed the clock.

Can't believe they went for it on 4th and goal. I was probably overconfident in my buzzed state, but we were always going to win that battle, especially on a sneak.

Hill and Thomas are both backups aren't they? Desmond did have a bad game. I don't think it would take half the season for a team to discover Michigan's weakness though. I see their performance more related to failure to match intensity, some improbable catches and Michigan failing to pick off 4-6 balls that were there for the taking.

I agree. MINN was going to have max intensity with the night game and coaching situation. Plus I think they're actually a good football team having a bad season. They held TCU to 23 before having a couple of brain farts. They did not brain fart here at all until 19 seconds were left.

They are one of the flukiest plays in football history away from being 7-1. I don't think they could be much better right now. This team has more flaws than just the QB position. Be grateful that basically the same team that was an embarrassment every week last year, is now 6-2. JH will get the right QB in the program. I have faith in his judgment.

Well said. And as msu has shown for years, it's better to be lucky than good sometimes.

I thought Drake Johnson looked pretty solid last night. Hopefully De'Veon Smith will be OK after leaving the game on that last drive, but I think Johnson is more than capable of stepping up.