hail2mich

GDT: #7 Michigan State at #12 Michigan 10/17/2015

Brady Hoke, former Michigan Wolverines coach, said he wouldn't have punted vs. Michigan State Spartans

Of course Hoke would not have punted. Michigan likely would have been down by double digits and he would have had to go for it. Hoke just needs to go away. Thanks for recruiting these players, but we don't need any coaching advice from you.

Brady Hoke, former Michigan Wolverines coach, said he wouldn't have punted vs. Michigan State Spartans

Of course Hoke would not have punted. Michigan likely would have been down by double digits and he would have had to go for it. Hoke just needs to go away. Thanks for recruiting these players, but we don't need any coaching advice from you.

I wouldn't dispute your point here, but in sympathy to Coach Hoke he has to be looking at this team and saying "that should be my team" just as I'm sure RichRod looked at the Sugar Bowl team of Coach Hoke's.

It has to be a very hard thing to recruit players, build for a future, get fired and watch someone else have success based largely on what you feel is your work.

I think he's right about the formation. I also think his biggest impact on this team is on the defense, particularly the DL that he coached. Having said that, I think he should have passed on commenting.

It's a fair criticism. Going for the first down or punting are both defensible strategies. It took a chain reaction of unlikely events to occur to arrive at what happened.

I have no problem with hoke saying what he would have done in the same situation.

If you get the punt off the game is over, if you convert on 4th and 2 the game is over. Which is more likely to happen?

If you get the punt blocked, majority of the time its a deflection or it doesn't really get advanced. In that scenario, it would leave MSU with just a hail mary chance. Just like it would if you didn't convert on 4th down.

So I would say the chances of disaster happening are a little bit higher by going for a punt, but the odds are still extremely low, where as the chances of ending the game right there are much higher by punting and more than offset the very slim chance of disaster.

This game just popped into my head from last year that I remember watching. ECU had the ball well in UCF territory up 4 points late in the game. Instead of kicking a FG or punting they killed some time by running backwards and turned the ball over on downs with 10 seconds left at OPP 35.

UCF ran 2 plays and won on a 51 yard hail mary.

This M/MSU thing was a complete fluke play and trying to assign blame or credit (other than to the young man that picked up the ball and scored) belies what actually happened: Sports.

It's a fair criticism. Going for the first down or punting are both defensible strategies. It took a chain reaction of unlikely events to occur to arrive at what happened.

I have no problem with hoke saying what he would have done in the same situation.

C'mon now, he's playing armchair QB.

If Hoke is in that game, and decides to go for it in his own territory with a 2 point lead and is stopped with time on the clock he would be RIDICULED by most coaches and experts. Especially if MSU kicks a game winning FG. IMO, if the punter catches that snap cleanly, he looks like he would have easily gotten off the punt. If that would have happened, then there wouldn't be ONE person that would say, "He probably should have gone for it on 4th down". Because our punter muffs the snap, and fumbles directly into the arms of the defense which results in a TD, now our former coach is criticizing Harbaugh's play calling? IMO, that screams of armchair QB. Hoke should just keep his mouth shut. He wasn't a very good coach while at Michigan.

I don't think he's armchair quarterbacking so to speak.

First, the ball was on the 50 so the only play if they failed would have been a Hail Mary, not a field goal. That's a huge difference.

That said, the punt was not a bad call. I don't think he is saying that it was. Only that he would have made a different one.

Both calls are defensible.

I do think it's very difficult to say how likely he was to get the punt off if he caught it clean. They were in the backfield pretty quickly and with no danger of a roughing call.