Motor City Sonics

Upcoming Roster Moves........Who's Going?

Pavel and Darren Helm are coming back soon (Helmer about a week and Pavel in about 3). The Wings are in a tough situation as, barring injury, they really don't have a waiver-exempt forward except Dylan Larkin and I have a feeling he's not going anywhere.

My guess would be Andersson and Jurco might be on the way out. The team seems to have a logjam of defensmen too with Marchenko being the extra man (he is waiver exempt). But Xavier Ouelette and Nick Jensen are NHL-ready guys.

Who is gonna go? Are we going to see a trade or will the Wings simply lose a quality player or two to waivers. Maybe the Larkin buzz wears off and he stops playing well, but I don't think that's the case. I guess with Franzen playing you'd have to wonder if he gets hurt again, but I certainly hope for his sake that doesn't happen. They've got more moves to make too because I have a feeling that Mantha and AA are going to be NHL-ready pretty soon.

Good problem to have, eh?

My guess is Andersson is the first to go and then... Ferraro? I can't see them putting Jurco on waivers over a guy in Ferraro who has already cleared waivers.

There's a chance of a trade but I doubt it happens. Gotta love the depth though.

Edit: I see Andersson and Ferraro are both scratches tonight hmm

My guess is Andersson is the first to go and then... Ferraro? I can't see them putting Jurco on waivers over a guy in Ferraro who has already cleared waivers.

There's a chance of a trade but I doubt it happens. Gotta love the depth though.

Edit: I see Andersson and Ferraro are both scratches tonight hmm

I don't think Jurco will be here a lot longer. He hasn't made the most of his opportunities. I guess we'll see what he can do in a more freewheeling Jeff Blashill system, because it plays to his strength, but there is some mighty big talent coming up. I didn't even mention Mitch Callahan, who I think would be a great fit here tto.

I don't think Babcock ever gave Jurco much of a chance, but you're right he hasn't produced in Detroit. I think he has all the talent to be a good NHL-er though. He's seen some success with Blashill, he put up 14 points in 24 playoff games when the Griffins won the Calder Cup in Blash's first year and was a point per game player the next year for 32 games before he was called up to Detroit permanently.

He saw about 12 minutes of ice time per game under Babcock (the only "regular" who saw less than him last season was Weiss, the year before that he saw the least amount of ice time of any player with 30 games played (he had 36), Eaves (25 games), Samuelsson (26) were below him).

In 14/15 he spent most of his ice time with these three forwards at 5 on 5:

1. Drew Miller

2. Riley Sheahan

3. Luke Glendening

He hasn't been great, but I'm hoping it is because he hasn't been given a fair shake with his playing time and I'm hopeful that Blashill will use him in a more productive manner.

Yeah, Jurco still has trade value, even if they may never break through with the Wings. Andersson and Ferraro on the other hand have little trade value except as throw-ins.

He saw about 12 minutes of ice time per game under Babcock (the only "regular" who saw less than him last season was Weiss, the year before that he saw the least amount of ice time of any player with 30 games played (he had 36), Eaves (25 games), Samuelsson (26) were below him).

Speaking of Weiss, no one signed him yet, eh? Same with Erik Cole. Zidlicky went back to the New York area as expected, but to the Islanders not the Devils.

And another roster question, but for the future not now. Will the Wings sign Abdelkader this summer? I think they will, they don't have an obvious substitute that brings what he does, but he's well on his way to cashing in for top 6 money and that's a bit scary.

Speaking of Weiss, no one signed him yet, eh? Same with Erik Cole. Zidlicky went back to the New York area as expected, but to the Islanders not the Devils.

I'm sure teams are scared off by Cole's injury. Weiss just is bad!

Didn't Filppula reject an offer from the Wings that was higher than he ultimately got in Tampa? I thought I saw that somewhere. Seemed like he was intent on leaving.

Didn't Filppula reject an offer from the Wings that was higher than he ultimately got in Tampa? I thought I saw that somewhere. Seemed like he was intent on leaving.

He Fedorov'ed it? I seem to recall that as well.

I've often heard Filppula cited - with or without basis I don't know - as one player Babcock drove away from Detroit because Fillpula couldn't stand him.

I've often heard Filppula cited - with or without basis I don't know - as one player Babcock drove away from Detroit because Fillpula couldn't stand him.

I think this was a real issue, especially with free agents signing in Detroit...they whiff on basically all their first choices and when Babcock leaves they get their top target right away in Green.

To me the Red Wings defense was alright until they got Zidlicky and that's about the time they went downhill and fast. He was pretty brutal defensively. Didn't they bench him at the end of the Tampa Bay series for Kindl, or was that someone else?

To me the Red Wings defense was alright until they got Zidlicky and that's about the time they went downhill and fast. He was pretty brutal defensively. Didn't they bench him at the end of the Tampa Bay series for Kindl, or was that someone else?

He sat but I think it was due to a head injury.

I thought Zidlicky played pretty well when he first arrived, but like you said he was brutal in his own zone.

It'll be nice to have DDK back, it is crazy the Wings have looked this good without him and Datsyuk.

What an insane sports day Saturday is shaping up to be:

Rugby World Cup quarterfinals doubleheader: Wales vs South Africa 11am ET; New Zealand vs France 3pm ET

Michigan-MSU: 3:30pm ET

Wings-Habs: 7pm ET, and if the Habs can beat the Rangers tonight and the Wings beat the Canes tomorrow they'll both be unbeaten for HNIC

Not great news:

The Wheel Deal ‏@Bill_Roose 27s27 seconds ago

Jeff Blashill says #RedWings Johan Franzen is dealing with post-concussion symptoms again. No timetable for his return.

The roster seems to be sorting itself out via injuries here... If Franzen gets IRed (out indefinitely is the news right now) there's the cap space for Datsyuk.

That should be it for franzen.

I don't know how things work with a retirement due to injury, but if he can still collect his salary - we'll be hearing of his retirement soon. I didn't think he'd really make it back. I feel bad for the guy.

I don't know how things work with a retirement due to injury, but if he can still collect his salary - we'll be hearing of his retirement soon. I didn't think he'd really make it back. I feel bad for the guy.

I believe if he retired he wouldn't get his money and the Wings would have a cap penalty. It's a silly loophole, but if Pronger can still be traded then it is in both his and the Wings' best interests to just LTIR him every year.

Holland just clarified that it is regular IR for him not LTIR, so it seems like they think he's coming back.