RedRamage

Lions "White Swan" moments.

Sorta in an effort to keep the depression at bay, can we also talk about those few and far between Great Moments in Lions history? Yeah, it'll be a short thread probably, but there were some times when it just felt really good to be a Lions fan too... if only briefly.

Perhaps the one that sticks in my head the most recently was the Brown come back where Stafford threw the winning TD with a separated shoulder. Yes is was a relatively meaningless game against another less-than team, but it still felt good to see it happen.

The fake spike against Dallas might be another great one.

January 5th, 1992

Detroit Lions 38

Dallas Cowboys 6

Other than that?

kpTtT.gif?noredirect

I expect this to be a much shorter thread than the "Black Swan" one lol.

Even the few other "White Swan" moments like the win against the Jets to get into the playoffs with Barry eclipsing 2,000 yards was marred by a Black Swan moment with the Reggie Brown injury.

The win against the Packers in '93 to win the division was another legit good one only to be followed up by arguably the biggest black swan moment with the heartbreaking playoff loss to the Packers. Lions gonna Lion.

Sorry RedRamage, I know that you were aiming for optimism in this thread but I couldn't help myself, we're a loathsome breed when it comes to the Lions.

Edited by NYLion

Week 6 in 1991 saw the Lions score 21 unanswered points in the 4th quarter to beat the Vikings 24-20.

I don't think I have ever heard the Silverdome as loud as that day.

Yeah I got nothing...honestly nothing. At the time there were a couple..MAYBE a couple that I was like 'yeah that is awesome!', only to be sent packing the next week.

Even a win in GB is not going to move the needle much for me. It HAS to be a playoff win for me to call it a great moment. Because SOL is to go into GB and win and make it 5 in a row to go 5-4 on the season with a TON of hope for the playoffs etc...only to miss out on the playoffs by one game.

A win IN GB AND a playoff win this year and it will be the most successful Lions season in recent (20 years or so) history, and a season I will remember as the best I could ever recall.

A loss in GB and a playoff win only to get bounced in the next round would be nice, but it would leave me feeling like we are never going to win in GB and as long as they have Rodgers we are going to have that many more years of disappointment. They will find the next Farve/Rodgers etc after Rodgers is done also....or if they do not...it will be Minny or Chicagos turn to put together some ungodly team that we will never be able to beat.

1957 playoff vs 49ers. Down 24-7 at half, comeback to win 31-27 to gain a berth in Championship game vs Browns, winning 59-14. The last championship. A great two weeks. Too bad I was only five years old and didn't know it was happening.

Thanksgiving game 1962.

Greg Landry's 76 yard quarterback sneak In a 40-0 victory at Green Bay 1970

Sorry RedRamage, I know that you were aiming for optimism in this thread but I couldn't help myself, we're a loathsome breed when it comes to the Lions.

No problem there... I new it would be a "less than" thread vs. the Black Swan.

Barry getting to 2000 yards and beating the jets to clinch a playoff spot.

Of course, because these are the lions, they almost had a player die on the field that day and got crushed in the playoffs the next week. Lions gonna lion.

The first Lions game I remember from the '70s. December 11, 1977. The Lions were in Balitmore trailing the Colts 10-6 in the final minute and Baltimore punted from inside their own 20. Leonard Thompson picked up the blocked punt and ran it in for the score with 10 seconds to go. We were driving in the family Caprice Classic, likely on the way back from a Christmas party but I don't recall exactly. I could barely hear Bob Reynolds from the backseat because my 8 year old sister and 6 year sister were making too much noise beside me. My 3 year old brother was sleeping comfortably in my mother's arms in the front seat. The Lions lost the following week to close out their season at 6-8.

Perhaps the one that sticks in my head the most recently was the Brown come back where Stafford threw the winning TD with a separated shoulder. Yes is was a relatively meaningless game against another less-than team, but it still felt good to see it happen.

The fake spike against Dallas might be another great one.

These were the two that first came to mind. I think it was the Dallas drive, the dime Stafford dropped to Durham was so pretty.

Otherwise really all I could come up with, for me at least, was when I saw them in Oakland and Calvin caught a touchdown in the last minute in the endzone where my seats were and then Suh blocked a field goal with no time left to seal the win.

Billy Sims' rookie debut against the Rams, Barry vs Emmitt 1994 Monday Night Football overtime win (and Barry showing the nation who was the better running back), any year we sweep the Bears

Yeah, that Monday Night game referenced against the Cowboys in 94 was pretty sweet with Hanson kicking the game winner after having missed a few earlier in the game.

Not a moment, but Detroit and the Lions should be proud of Dick LeBeau. Incredible career.

I wish he had spent his career as our DC though..........

Yeah, that Monday Night game referenced against the Cowboys in 94 was pretty sweet with Hanson kicking the game winner after having missed a few earlier in the game.

One of the only times i remember the lions lining barry up behind a fullback and running the ball. But i could be misremembering. I do recall barry actually being pretty animated during that game. He always got up to play against emmitt smith.

My white swan moment for the Lions was seeing them in person destroy Dallas in the playoffs. It was great. I never thought that would be the only playoff win in the Super Bowl era for the Lions.

Maybe not a white swan moment because we lost the game, but back when I was about 14 or so a buddy from school had an extra ticket and I went with him and his dad to MNF at the Silverdome when Bo Jackson was still playing. Barry went off for like 150 and Bo had like 180 yards that game.

Game summary:

For the second time in four weeks the Raiders played on Monday Night Football. The games biggest prime time stage contained some of the greatest college football players in history. The teams set a NFL record with five combined Heisman Trophy winners taking the field. (For the Raiders it was Marcus Allen, Bo Jackson and Tim Brown. For the Lions it was Barry Sanders and Andre Ware.) The game turned out to be a shootout with Allen, Brown, Jackson and Barry Sanders scoring touchdowns. Sanders rushed for 176 yards on 25 carries and Jackson carried 18 times for 129 yards. The Raiders defense captured four sacks and an interception to earn their ninth win of the season.

I was really too young to fully appreciate what i was seeing and barely remember it.

They were wearing the solid silver helmets and solid silver numbers that game, correct?

Yep. I recorded the game, still have it, pull it out once in a Honolulu blue moon.

Frank Gifford was like a giddy little kid watching Sanders run. Dierdorf commented how Barry was embarrassing Emmitt in his own house. Gifford also kept dropping hints that he felt Sanders was the better RB, reminding everyone that Emmitt had one of the greatest OLines of all time, while Barry did it all on his own. Mitchell played out of his mind that night. The Cowboys had already won 2 Super Bowls in the 90s and were on their way to a 3rd. Beating them on Monday night – in Dallas – was pretty big back then. A definite white swan moment. One of the few times I remember the Lions looking like a real football team

They were wearing the solid silver helmets and solid silver numbers that game, correct?

Yes....I remember vividly Chris Spielman stuffing Emmitt Smith, and MNF showed it in slow motion over and over...it was pretty cool.

Maybe not a white swan moment because we lost the game, but back when I was about 14 or so a buddy from school had an extra ticket and I went with him and his dad to MNF at the Silverdome when Bo Jackson was still playing. Barry went off for like 150 and Bo had like 180 yards that game.

Game summary:

I was really too young to fully appreciate what i was seeing and barely remember it.

I remember that game too....I was going to mention it except I remembered that they lost...still, the Lions played competitively against a good team on MNF at home.

My white swan moment for the Lions was seeing them in person destroy Dallas in the playoffs. It was great. I never thought that would be the only playoff win in the Super Bowl era for the Lions.

That Dallas beatdown was unbelievable. Clearly the zenith moment for the last 57 years.

Barry getting to 2000 yards and beating the jets to clinch a playoff spot.

Of course, because these are the lions, they almost had a player die on the field that day and got crushed in the playoffs the next week. Lions gonna lion.

I remember it like it was yesterday....the crowd was blowing the roof off one minute and then as silent as the grave the next...that was so damn scary.