hail2mich

GDT: #13 Northwestern at #18 Michigan 10/10/2015

Probably the best coach in football. But I sometimes feel bad for Brady Hoke because I think he is a good coach and he was never allowed to be the real coach of the team. It works for our benefit now because it led to his dismissal, but I think DB screwed him.

Maybe - but I don't really think that DB had much to do with the fact that the team could not execute with any precision on O or special teams. Brandon wan't designing and managing the practice drills etc. And in fact the proof is in the fact that Mattison was assembling a fine defense under Hoke and DB wasn't doing anything to screw that up. Brady was a lousy offensive manager and QB talent evaluator and didn't know enough to get the right help in those areas like he got from Mattison on D.

Brandon was busy and effective at poisoning relations with the students, faculty, staff, alumni and other Ann Arbor stake holders, but Hoke didn't need too much help to put a bad O on the field.

Edited by Gehringer_2

MSU has a game on their hands. Rutgers in goal range, down 3.

I kind of want them undefeated coming into Ann Arbor, but at the same time...

I kind of want them undefeated coming into Ann Arbor, but at the same time...

Rutgers should just have let them score once they were in FG range. They've let MSU run the clock out on them and MSU scored anyway.

GameDay will be in Ann Arbor next weekend.

Only thing I don't like is that now M will almost certainly be favored against State. I'd rather they were able to feel they were playing uphill all this 1st season under Harbaugh.

Probably the best coach in football. But I sometimes feel bad for Brady Hoke because I think he is a good coach and he was never allowed to be the real coach of the team. It works for our benefit now because it led to his dismissal, but I think DB screwed him.

Must be why Hoke immediately landed on his feet and got a good job somewhere else.

Hoke is a horrible coach. He was a loser at Ball State, a loser at SDSU, and a loser at Michigan. I'm sure he's a nice guy that loves Michigan, but so are 10000 grandpas across the state, I don't think any of them should be the head coach either.

Now Jim Harbaugh, I don't want to speculate, but he just might be a good football coach.

Speechless. Good night. I will have my wits about me perhaps by Wednesday to post something coherent.

Buzzing.

Wow.

Speechless. Good night. I will have my wits about me perhaps by Wednesday to post something coherent.

Buzzing.

Wow.

Props to anyone who saw this coming, I sure didn't. I thought M was like as not to come to earth today and have a tough enough game that the outcome could go either way.

This would be perfect if not having to listen to Millen. Intent doesn't matter.

Before 3rd down: "It doesn't matter if you get the first there, you need 6 right now .. not 3."

Before 4th down: "You gotta take the points here. The first points are always the toughest."

When do they announce the Gameday location? The location has to be between Ann Arbor and Baton Rogue. With 2 undefeated SEC teams playing, it may go in favor of the LSU vs Florida game. It would be nice to see it in Ann Arbor though.

When do they announce the Gameday location? The location has to be between Ann Arbor and Baton Rogue. With 2 undefeated SEC teams playing, it may go in favor of the LSU vs Florida game. It would be nice to see it in Ann Arbor though.

I saw tweets by ESPN last night stating they'd be taping in Ann Arbor.

Must be why Hoke immediately landed on his feet and got a good job somewhere else.

Hoke is a horrible coach. He was a loser at Ball State, a loser at SDSU, and a loser at Michigan. I'm sure he's a nice guy that loves Michigan, but so are 10000 grandpas across the state, I don't think any of them should be the head coach either.

Now Jim Harbaugh, I don't want to speculate, but he just might be a good football coach.

Ball State 72-34

San Diego State 25-13

Yeah, a real loser at Ball State and San Diego State.

I am not saying he is anywhere near Harbaugh, who is a top 5 coach in all of football (college or pro). What I am saying is that he was never allowed full control of the program like most other coaches. Obviously, we can see has an eye for talent and he can recruit. Brandon was constantly tinkering and even talking to his assistant coaches behind his back. Now, this is Hoke's fault too for not putting his foot down and probably agreeing to this setup before he was hired. And Hoke will get another job when he wants one and the right one comes up. Probably not a major conference (though Maryland, Rutgers or Indiana might not be out of the question), but he will coach again - it's not like the Lions where their coaches never coach again. Keep in mind, I believe he still gets paid by Michigan - and I am betting it's more than he'd make as a Head Coach somewhere else........so why hurry? Michigan's losing in the last five years was because of David Brandon, not Brady Hoke.

Props to anyone who saw this coming, I sure didn't. I thought M was like as not to come to earth today and have a tough enough game that the outcome could go either way.

I thought it was going to be a 17-13 type of game......either team having the 17. This was impressive because I do think Northwestern is good. That kickoff return was a kick to the balls...........Not easy to recover from being kicked in the balls.

Harbaugh is a great coach, especially as a motivator. As I've said here though, he would not have the team where it is now if not for the rebuilding dues Hoke paid. It took Harbaugh 2 seasons before posting a winning record (8-5) in year 3 at Stanford. That seemed to be the blueprint most analysts pointed to when they said it would take him 3-4 years at Michigan. I knew that was wrong. You only had to look at Hoke's recruiting classes, the scheme he recruited for, the Michigan theme he used to land those classes, etc.

I'm not sure what influence Brandon had. It's rumored that he was behind the Borges firing and Morris start last season. He sat in film sessions. He hung Hoke out to dry on the Morris injury when it was the responsibility of the athletic trainers who report to the AD by NCAA design.

I have a hard time doing this as the parent of young children but I'm trying to boycott Toys r us.

Baxter hire so under rated yet huge. ST play this season has been amazing and not just because of the kickoff return yesterday.

FG kicking has gone from a big concern to steady if not good.

I will say that Hoke's biggest issue is becoming apparent through Harbaugh and that was the lack of development from year to year and week to week.

Pat Carter, College football Sunday, broke down three D plays by UM and one of them showed how the UM D had to wait for the NW offense to settle in and show their offensive set which they did late. UM D moved around quickly in response and everyone was in the right place and they made the play.

Just love this staff. Win or lose against MSU, doesn't change it, this team will be good and always prepared!!

UM football is fun again!

Ball State 72-34

San Diego State 25-13

Yeah, a real loser at Ball State and San Diego State.

I am not saying he is anywhere near Harbaugh, who is a top 5 coach in all of football (college or pro). What I am saying is that he was never allowed full control of the program like most other coaches. Obviously, we can see has an eye for talent and he can recruit. Brandon was constantly tinkering and even talking to his assistant coaches behind his back. Now, this is Hoke's fault too for not putting his foot down and probably agreeing to this setup before he was hired. And Hoke will get another job when he wants one and the right one comes up. Probably not a major conference (though Maryland, Rutgers or Indiana might not be out of the question), but he will coach again - it's not like the Lions where their coaches never coach again. Keep in mind, I believe he still gets paid by Michigan - and I am betting it's more than he'd make as a Head Coach somewhere else........so why hurry? Michigan's losing in the last five years was because of David Brandon, not Brady Hoke.

You looked at the numbers wrong and used the total games column and the wins column.

He was - 34-38 at Ball State

13-12 at SDSU

edit - both are respectable numbers ftr,and what he did at UM was respectable for the first 3 years too. He just wasn't at a point in time where he could afford a 5-7 season. He won more games in his first 3 years than Dantonio though.

Edited by Nastradamus

I think Hoke's a solid coach. I'd love to have him if I was a middling or less Big Ten team or something of the like. He can recruit, he runs a clean program, knows what kind of football he wants to play and knows defense pretty well. Needs a strong OC and is average as an in game manager. Good motivator though.

I think Hoke's a solid coach. I'd love to have him if I was a middling or less Big Ten team or something of the like. He can recruit, he runs a clean program, knows what kind of football he wants to play and knows defense pretty well. Needs a strong OC and is average as an in game manager. Good motivator though.

I'll give him that he had to start from zero on the OLine and was still playing too many underclassmen there last season. With the more experienced line, the O would have been somewhat better even if Brady were still coach. But he had no clue coaching or recruiting QBs and you aren't going far in today's game without that piece.

But note on the 'con' side, the linemen have said this staff is teaching them stuff the old regime never did.

I'll give him that he had to start from zero on the OLine and was still playing too many underclassmen there last season. With the more experienced line, the O would have been somewhat better even if Brady were still coach. But he had no clue coaching or recruiting QBs and you aren't going far in today's game without that piece.

But note on the 'con' side, the linemen have said this staff is teaching them stuff the old regime never did.

I heard, I think it was Kalis, who said that about the coaching on the OL. I don't think he accounted for the experience he and the rest of the line had going into this season. That's a much different platform from which to start. Any of of those guys may have gotten by with their mistakes playing along a veteran line or in a system that had been in place for several years. Having all of them start at once was a disaster. Add to that they say Borges threw too much at them.