T&P_Fan

2015-2016 NHL Discussion Thread

On February 9, 2016 at 9:45 PM, T&P_Fan said:

Leafs will surely be able to offer top dollar and there is a relationship between Babcock and Stamkos. Only question is does Stamkos want to be the face of the Leafs rebuild and the media scrutiny that comes with it. I like what Shannahan has done since he arrived. Now that the contracts have been shed and slate is clean, the real challenge begins. Pretty optimistic.

That number 1 pick makes me even more optimistic.  Saturday was a seminal moment for the Toronto Maples Leafs.  Austin Mattews, welcome to the show.  

Now stick to the plan and sign stamkos.  

So assuming the Leafs draft Austin Matthews, and then sign Stamkos, does that make the Leafs a playoff contender next year?  I think it does.  By all accounts it appears the Lightning will let Stamkos go into July 1 without a contract, and then that opens the door for Babcock and Shannahan.   Still need a goalie, since Ed Belfour. 

On 5/4/2016 at 6:15 AM, T&P_Fan said:

So assuming the Leafs draft Austin Matthews, and then sign Stamkos, does that make the Leafs a playoff contender next year?  I think it does.  By all accounts it appears the Lightning will let Stamkos go into July 1 without a contract, and then that opens the door for Babcock and Shannahan.   Still need a goalie, since Ed Belfour. 

Playoff contender next year?? Probably a better chance than that of Auston Matthews turning out to be the next Alexander Daigle. Or the next Anthony Bennett :)

Need a starting goalie and several defensemen. Basically, like Edmonton. 

Phil Kessel takes the Penguins on his back with 3 points tonight including 2 goals as Pitt eliminates Washington. What a talent.

On 5/11/2016 at 11:28 PM, lordstanley said:

Phil Kessel takes the Penguins on his back with 3 points tonight including 2 goals as Pitt eliminates Washington. What a talent.

He is an awesome complimentary player.  Can't be the best player on a team though. 

I always liked Kessel, but it was obvious he needed to go, the players followed his lead, which was "meh, whatever."

On 5/10/2016 at 4:11 PM, lordstanley said:

Playoff contender next year?? Probably a better chance than that of Auston Matthews turning out to be the next Alexander Daigle. Or the next Anthony Bennett :)

Need a starting goalie and several defensemen. Basically, like Edmonton. 

Several defenseman?  Guess I am not seeing it.  Considering they just signed the best dman from the KHL as well.  As for the offense, Mitch Marner is setting the OHL on fire, 44 points in 18 playoff games, insane.  Leafs have alot of good pieces coming in. 

18 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

Several defenseman?  Guess I am not seeing it.  Considering they just signed the best dman from the KHL as well.  As for the offense, Mitch Marner is setting the OHL on fire, 44 points in 18 playoff games, insane.  Leafs have alot of good pieces coming in. 

I see Reilly as a #3 today (with #1/#2 potential) and Gardiner as a #5 (with #3/#4 potential). The rest are spare parts, IMO. 

• Like 1

Mitch Marner leads the London Knights into the finals of the Memorial Cup.  13 points in 3 games, smoking.  He was the leafs 1st rd pick last year, 4th overall, and will almost certainly be with the leafs next year.

Matthews was the best USA player in the World Championships, very encouraging.  Laine has come on strong, but you can't pass on that number center who plays both sides of the ice.

San Jose vs. Pittsburgh for the Cup.

The '16 Sharks and Joe Thornton remind me in some ways of the '97 Wings and Steve Yzerman. The Sharks have had flashier and more successful regular seasons in the past, but they've gelled these playoffs and seem like a complete team. I've always had a soft spot for Jumbo Joe and would love to see him win it. Especially given how he's sporting the greatest playoff beard ever.

On 5/25/2016 at 11:48 AM, T&P_Fan said:

Mitch Marner leads the London Knights into the finals of the Memorial Cup.  13 points in 3 games, smoking.  He was the leafs 1st rd pick last year, 4th overall, and will almost certainly be with the leafs next year.

Matthews was the best USA player in the World Championships, very encouraging.  Laine has come on strong, but you can't pass on that number center who plays both sides of the ice.

Good game between London and Rouyn Noranda on Sunday to finish off the Memorial Cup.  The Knights won 3-2 in OT.  I am ready for the playoffs to be over and the off-season to truly begin. 

The Finn, Joonas Donskoi, scores for the Sharks in OT to make it a 2-1 series. The Finnish announcer calmly describes the play:

On 5/4/2016 at 9:15 AM, T&P_Fan said:

I'd offer you Jimmy Howard but our GM is attached at the hip with his own players.

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

The NBA playoffs were way more exciting than the NHL playoffs this year, each and every round. 

I assume this is full on sarcasm. 

Worst NBA playoffs I can remember in some years. 

3 hours ago, lordstanley said:

The NBA playoffs were way more exciting than the NHL playoffs this year, each and every round. 

The Stanley Cup Final sure wasn't a riveting series. I can count exactly one game of the five that I enjoyed.

On June 20, 2016 at 0:20 PM, T&P_Fan said:

I assume this is full on sarcasm. 

Worst NBA playoffs I can remember in some years. 

Nope, not sarcasm. But maybe that is more a criticism of this year's NHL playoffs.

Nate Silver: Las Vegas Is A Terrible Place For An NHL Team

The Las Vegas franchise will fail just as bad, if not worse than every other southern/warm weather expansion Bettman has tired, outside of Anaheim, San Jose and maybe Dallas. I will surly laugh when it does to. This Vegas team will be in the dust bin of NHL history like the Atlanta Thrashers in 10-12 years. Quebec should have gotten the expansion franchise, weak Looney or not.

Bettman is the definition of crazy, doing the same thing over and over and expecting the results to be different. Arizona/Phoenix, Atlanta, and Florida have all been colossal failures judging by any number of metrics (attendance, revenue, stable ownership, wins/championships). Carolina and Tampa Bay are in the next tier and have had moderate success as both have won a championship and seem to get decent attendance when they're good, but they aren't great organizations or fan bases by any means. Dallas, Anaheim and San Jose are the only three I could characterize as a success and even Dallas is debatable.

There shouldn't have been expansion anyways. Seattle and Quebec should have gotten teams and I would have considered Milwaukee too if they are ever able to secure a new arena deal. Move Arizona up to Seattle, Florida up to Quebec and Carolina over to Milwaukee (f arena falls into place) and call it a day.

Matthews goes number one to Toronto. A once in a generation talent.  I am curious to see how the leafs approach this off-season.  Are they going to go all in on Stamkos and try to compete next year, or are they looking for one more high draft pick?