belcherboy

Lot's of LOVE for Michigan Football by some in the media right now!

http://sports.yahoo.com/author/pat-forde/

When will the remaining undefeated teams lose? Pat Forde says...

Northwestern Expiration date: Oct. 10, at Michigan. Saturday the Wildcats play in the Big House, in front of roughly 75,000 more people than have seen them play at any point this season. First team to 10 may win this matchup of the best defenses in the conference – and that team will be the Wolverines.

Michigan State Expiration date: Oct. 17, at Michigan. If this comes to pass, the Mitten may lose its mind. But which team is playing better football at the moment? The Wolverines.

Ohio State Expiration date: Nov. 28, at Michigan. And if it comes to this, Lord have mercy on the scarlet and gray.

I'm having a tough time buying into Michigan as legitimate B1G championship game contenders just yet, but I am pretty excited that many sports commentators are seeing some real potential for this season. If Forde is correct on his predictions and Michigan wins those 3 games, I'm not sure who else on their schedule would beat Michigan. If they were to miraculously win the B1G CG in Harbaugh's first year, and end the regular season with 1 loss, they would be a playoff team. I'm still thinking they are at least a 3 loss team, but would LOVE to be wrong.

It is just one writer's opinion. I wouldn't put too much stock that it reflects the prevailing wisdom among sport commentators in general.

No doubt, but I have heard from more than a few commentators, predictions that Michigan would beat MSU at the Big House in a couple of weeks. Much of it comes from Michigan State looking lackluster since beating Oregon, and Michigan pitching back to back shutouts. It's just nice to see some articles and hear some commentary about Michigan being a legit threat to Michigan State this year. At the beginning of the year, and especially after the Oregon victory, I'm not sure anyone would have had Michigan within 10 points of Michigan State. We'll see how Michigan does this week against NW before we really start hearing predictions.

I'm not betting anything on it, just passing what I read along to you guys.

I didn't believe Harbaugh would need 3+ years (he inherited too talented of a roster for that) as the media seemed to think at the start of the season but I do think he will more than 3+ months with the offense.

No doubt, but I have heard from more than a few commentators, predictions that Michigan would beat MSU at the Big House in a couple of weeks. Much of it comes from Michigan State looking lackluster since beating Oregon, and Michigan pitching back to back shutouts. It's just nice to see some articles and hear some commentary about Michigan being a legit threat to Michigan State this year. At the beginning of the year, and especially after the Oregon victory, I'm not sure anyone would have had Michigan within 10 points of Michigan State. We'll see how Michigan does this week against NW before we really start hearing predictions.

I'm not betting anything on it, just passing what I read along to you guys.

I think the UM/MSU thing is largely MSU looking lackluster paired with the tendency of people in general putting a little too much weight on whomever/whatever is the hot new thing at the time.

It wouldn't shock he if UM defeats MSU, FWIW.

I think the UM/MSU thing is largely MSU looking lackluster paired with the tendency of people in general putting a little too much weight on whomever/whatever is the hot new thing at the time.

It wouldn't shock he if UM defeats MSU, FWIW.

It's pretty humorous to me to see the same sports media people that were crowning MSU B1G champs after the Oregon game, changing their tune after seeing Oregon get demolished at home against Utah, and seeing MSU playing so poorly since that game. Pile that onto Michigan's strong defense that past few games, and you get a narrative that everyone wants to sell.

Personally, I may not be shocked by a Michigan win, but I would be about as close to shocked as you can get. I buy into the Colin Cowherd philosophy that 9 times out of 10, the better QB wins in big games (he was talking NFL, but he does mention similar sentiments for the college game). Being the home team and having a hot streak (hopefully even hotter after the NW game), really does help create an environment for an upset, but like I said before, I'd be surprised if it actually happened.

this is the jinxiest of jinxy threads.

MICHIGAN IS STILL DOWN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE!!!!

It's pretty humorous to me to see the same sports media people that were crowning MSU B1G champs after the Oregon game, changing their tune after seeing Oregon get demolished at home against Utah, and seeing MSU playing so poorly since that game. Pile that onto Michigan's strong defense that past few games, and you get a narrative that everyone wants to sell.

I agree with this. We've improved a crap-ton, but the last 4 teams are all teams we should beat, and when it's the defense doing it, you don't really end up with close games. And so we're the hot story for this narrow timeline.

We play a good team Saturday, that'll tell us at least as much as the past 4 weeks did.

this is the jinxiest of jinxy threads.

MICHIGAN IS STILL DOWN UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE!!!!

Absolutely! I miss the days when Michigan was overrated! I'd love to bring back those days again. Down here in Georgia, the University of Georgia reminds me so much of the Michigan teams from the 90's and early 2000's. Lot's of talent, great recruiting, lot's of preseason hype, and a high ranking, only to lose a bad game or two early in the year. The few differences between these Georgia teams I've seen the last 8 years that I've lived down here, and the Michigan teams of the 90's and early 2000's were at least Michigan was winning a B1G title at least once every 3-4 years, and actually won a national title. Georgia has won 2 SEC championships in the past 30 years with no nattys.

Edited by belcherboy

This reminds me (very Ironically) of the scene from 300 when Leonidas is thinking back on the first day at Thermopylae.

Even the king allows himself

to hope for more than glory.

Such mad hope, but there it is:

"Against Asia's endless hordes,

against all odds, we can do it.

We can hold the Hot Gates.

We can win. "

I like thinking that every week we have a chance. That is all. We haven't felt that in years. YEARS.

I like thinking that every week we have a chance. That is all. We haven't felt that in years. YEARS.

yes...that feels good.

I've seen some sports commentators jumping off the Michigan State train recently, and dipping their toes in the Michigan pool. I haven't read too many that think they will beat Ohio State yet though.

How defense has made Michigan the best team in the Big Ten - CBSSports.com

Both Ohio State and Michigan State have been suffering from unimpressive wins. I don't know what's up with Ohio State but they have too much talent it seems not to figure it out. It's hard to know with State. It seems I have seen this slow start offense before so there is that. But they have lost some talent to injury and graduation and maybe losing their DC was more significant than some predicted.