Yoda

Roger DeWitt (HueyTaxi)

Very sad to read this. Amazing how a message board can create such a community feeling. He'll be sorely missed.

2016 Spring Training will not be the same without his insight and brilliant photography. He was always so kind.

Such sad news.

I had the great fortune to meet Roger a number of years ago in Lakeland and have treasured the few times we have corresponded.

He was a fine gentleman with great stories and a generous soul.

You will be greatly missed, Roger. RIP

Cancer sucks

I didn't know him but his picture threads always made me happy. It was freezing in the northeast and when I saw his uploads, I knew baseball was on the way. I thank him for that and wish his family the best.

Wow, I don't log in much anymore due to work, but just so happened to come by today and see this.

I was lucky enough to have met Roger and some of the Lakeland crew years ago when I was an undergrad in college and traveling to Spring Training games with my dad. Roger was always one of my favorite people on this board and such a great person along with his wife. I'm sure he did this with others, but he would send me birthday wishes as a private message yearly since we had met and he respected my opinions on here. I will miss his insight and kindness.

Goodbye sir. May you rest in peace.

So terribly sad to read , so sorry for his wife and sorry for all of us who valued his posts and all the work he put into this site , a much sadder place to be now ! R.I.P.

Godspeed, Roger. You always showered me with kindness and wisdom. People like you just aren't made anymore! You will live on a very long time in our hearts & minds, as we pay it forward. :-)

And thanks Yoda for posting this - it's never easy to do

This thread is a really beautiful tribute to this good man that most of us only knew from far away. The Roger was able to make you feel like you'd connected with him even if you never been in the same room together. That's a gift that can't be underestimated.

I got to know Roger and Robie when my daughter, Anna, was in the hospital. He would send me private messages of encouragement as I navigated through that very difficult time. I also appreciated the donations he would make to All Children's Hospital whenever Anna and my other kids did their annual walk-a-thon at school.

One story I'd like to share was when he and the Lakeland gang were in Clearwater for a game many years ago. My 8 year old son ran over to the dugout and came back with a baseball bat and the biggest smile on his face. Shawn Roof had seen my boy with his Tigers' gear and gave him his bat. My son wanted his autograph, but unfortunately later on, Shawn was plunked on the head while up to bat and had to leave the game. Fast forward to the following spring training. When I let people know my family and I were coming for a game, I got a message from Roger and Robie telling me that they had a surprise for my kids. We met them under the concourse where they gave my kids some autographed baseballs and other Tigers' stuff. Then, to my surprise, they brought Shawn Roof over to meet my boy and sign his bat for him! It was amazing to me that these folks would show such kindness to me and my family even though we were, in essence, total strangers.

Robie, my heart goes out to you. I pray that God will strengthen you and your family during this difficult time.

This thread is a really beautiful tribute to this good man that most of us only knew from far away. The Roger was able to make you feel like you'd connected with him even if you never been in the same room together. That's a gift that can't be underestimated.

Second that. I wish I'd met him, but he had the kind of presence here where you think that you don't actually need to meet him, crazy of course, but you feel like you know him perfectly well already. That's pretty amazing.

Thanks Yoda, for 2 reasons - for letting us know, and for bringing Roger here in the first place.

One story I'd like to share was when he and the Lakeland gang were in Clearwater for a game many years ago. My 8 year old son ran over to the dugout and came back with a baseball bat and the biggest smile on his face. Shawn Roof had seen my boy with his Tigers' gear and gave him his bat. My son wanted his autograph, but unfortunately later on, Shawn was plunked on the head while up to bat and had to leave the game. Fast forward to the following spring training. When I let people know my family and I were coming for a game, I got a message from Roger and Robie telling me that they had a surprise for my kids. We met them under the concourse where they gave my kids some autographed baseballs and other Tigers' stuff. Then, to my surprise, they brought Shawn Roof over to meet my boy and sign his bat for him! It was amazing to me that these folks would show such kindness to me and my family even though we were, in essence, total strangers.

That's so far beyond being a normal human being that I don't even know what to say.

While I've become internet friends with many on here through fantasy sports and facebook, only one had ever contacted me through MTS. His kind personal words and his posts will be something to remember for a lifetime. Sad days for us all...

huey.jpg

huey.jpg.46317da383921161e6baa467129e306

huey.jpg.46317da383921161e6baa467129e306

Edited by treyKemper
To host picture instead of attachment

Will miss roger for sure. Motownsports will not be the same without Huey. I will miss his post. I am glad I was able to send him a PM to tell him I was praying for him.

Edited by MAROTH4MVP

Sorry for arriving late to the game, had to have MWG do some work on my account to be able to post.

Having met Roger on this board and not in person is a regret I will carry to my grave. That being said, I did however cement a friendship with Roger via this board and the miracle of the phone. We spoke of cars, guns and of course the Tigers. I sent him a Tiger stadium seat back and a beverage holder for his ManCave. He responded with a Bobble head of the Skipper. I spoke with him last s he had just entered the hospital, joking to have fun with the nurses. I had no clue at the time as the severity of his condition. I must also mention his wife, the Lovely Robie, whom without her help, could not have surprised Roger with the Tiger Stadium bootie. I have made many friends via this board, some long distance and some in person, all in the name of Tiger baseball. For all of you who called Roger aka HueyTaxi a friend, we are all better people for it. I will miss our talks, but I am thankful for the times we spent. RIP my friend, "We only part to meet again" God Bless

ROGER DEWITT Obituary - Lakeland, FL | Ledger

ROGER 'HUEY TAXI' JUAN DEWITT, 69

LAKELAND - Roger 'Huey Taxi' Juan DeWitt, 69, of Lakeland, Florida passed away on 10/06/15 from cancer.

Roger was born in Penny Farms, Florida on 08/02/1946. He was married to Robette on May 18, 1968.

Roger spent the majority of his adult life in the Citrus Industry, retiring from Florida's Natural Growers. He served two tours in Vietnam with the U.S. Army as a helicopter pilot flying Huey's

and ended his service as Captain in Artillery. He earned many awards and medals for his military service.

Roger's biggest passion was always for fast sports cars and photography. His other passion was his love of our local baseball team, The Flying Tigers, where you would see him and his wife in their

first row seats beside the dug out for all their home games. His camera would be in one hand, ice cold beer in the other and a welcoming smile on his face.

Roger was preceded in death by his father, Charles, and mother, Phyllis, as well as his son Ryan. Roger is survived by his wife Robette 'Robie,' his daughter Raquel DeWitt Conley (Todd), granddaughters Hope White and Faith Conley, along with nieces, nephews, cousins and friends.

A memorial service will be held at Flying Tigers Community Room 2125 North Lake Avenue, Lakeland on 10/10/15 at 1:30 PM.

Condolences may be sent to the family at

Funeral Homes Lakeland | Funeral Services Florida | Heath Funeral Chapel .

Edit: There is a picture of Roger in the obituary. Link above

Edited by Shorthop

I have not been on this site in a while, but the passing of Roger made it imperative to regain my account. Thanks to Scott for making it happen. I now have access to the seemingly endless reply from Roger.

I am amazed at the first one I pulled up:

Love you Brother

Your participation makes living on here special. I would love to spend a couple afternoons getting to know you.

Roger

This will now not happen on the planet Earth, but I pray to God it will happen one day.

Love you too brother

Gosh, I haven't been here in years...but on my fifth and final try I was able to sign in.

My step-mom is part of the LFT "die hard fan family" and told me about Roger's passing. Many years ago when I joined this board I told her about all the people in Lakeland that went to spring training and Flying Tigers games. She become hooked and part of that family. It seems every time I went and visited, the Flying Tigers were out of town. So I wasn't ever able to meet him in person.

But, I wanted to come and leave my condolences, express how much I looked forward to his pictures every spring - it made my day/week/month until the baseball season started. :grin:

The thing is....as I signed in I had forgotten all about my signature on my profile....it kinda took me by surprise. I loved the quote when he posted it and I'm just going to leave it be.

RIP Roger - you will obviously be missed by many.