Yoda

Roger DeWitt (HueyTaxi)

RIP Roger, the friend I never met...

yessir, I would echo this sentiment.

He and I have went round and round many times in these pages, and it's gotten downright nasty at times, but while all that was going on, we were still exchanging PMs that were very friendly and I've always appreciated his ability to separate those things. I will miss him dearly.

I was informed this morning that Hueytaxi aka Roger Dewitt has passed away last night. Roger was a special person to me, him and Robie always treated me like family when they saw me at Joker Marchant Stadium for the LFT baseball season, the countless road trips we went on and just hanging out getting a bite to eat after the games. Roger you will be sorely missed by everyone he touched, I am glad you are at piece my friend, you will always be in my heart. The ballpark won't be the same without you. Rest in Peace my friend as you enter your Field of Dreams.

Very nice words Jim, I agree with every thing you said.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Robie and the family. The last time I saw Roger he had a smile on his face and a beer in his hand. I will miss my friend.

Only knew him as a poster here, but I don't need to explain to you all what those Spring Training photos did for my depressed soul midway through February...

It seems a trite way to remember him, as the guy who posted photos of athletes we all care a little too much about. However, that spring training photo thread made a ton of people happy. Prayers for his family.

RIP Roger.

The DeWitts are amazing people. They let me crash at their place for a few days while I was ironing out a housing situation in Lakeland when I moved down there to work. Roger and I always disagreed on politics, but it was a friendly disagreement. Robie got me more involved on the other side. They always treated me like family.

Very sad to hear this. Roger will be remembered forever on this board and in life for his fantastic contributions as a photographer, on the battlefield, as a family man, as a friend, and as a fan.

Only knew him as a poster here, but I don't need to explain to you all what those Spring Training photos did for my depressed soul midway through February...

It seems a trite way to remember him, as the guy who posted photos of athletes we all care a little too much about. However, that spring training photo thread made a ton of people happy. Prayers for his family.

I don't know that trite is the word, but I understand what you mean. I wanted the post something similar.

I can't help but wonder if his spring training photographs kept his son's memory with him.

Not really sure that I can add anything that other people haven't already said, so I will just say that I'm sad. Like most other people here, I never met roger but I still felt like I knew him.

I'll particularly remember his kind words to me when I was dealing with a family tragedy.

There's a lot I'd like to say eventually but I just don't have it in me right now. The ballpark has become one of the places where I still spend time with my parents, where I still connect with them. The Flying Tigers are something we talk about on a weekly basis. When I first started going to games, Roger and Robie welcomed me in, answered any questions I had, and made me feel at home. Not long after, my parents started coming and they did the same with them. To me, they were a fixture of Joker Marchant just as much as the dugouts, the scoreboard, the radar gun, etc. When the straw hat wasn't in the corner by the home dugout, something just felt...off.

In my mind, any tribute to Roger should include a picture. It's really hard to find one that he's actually in. Over time, morons have come and gone (including myself for a couple of years) and even reconnected again. This is a picture I could find that included Roger and I cherish it. This group of friends all consistently attended games when I first started coming. Robie, we all love you and are here for you.

467758737_f41270cfa1_z.jpg

PS - I finally traded in the Cubs hat for a Tigers hat full time over the last couple of years. I would say the hospitality in Lakeland over the last 10 years played a pretty big role in that change. This sounds strange to say...it almost felt sacrilegious at the time, but I knew it was the right decision.

Edited by Deadshot

Awe...sad news indeed...his posts in the spring with pics from Lakeland were great! He will be missed very much here...., my sincere condolences to his family...

I've known Roger and Robie for many years. It won't be the same at JM without him. As others have said he will be missed.

There's a lot I'd like to say eventually but I just don't have it in me right now. The ballpark has become one of the places where I still spend time with my parents, where I still connect with them. The Flying Tigers are something we talk about on a weekly basis. When I first started going to games, Roger and Robie welcomed me in, answered any questions I had, and made me feel at home. Not long after, my parents started coming and they did the same with them. To me, they were a fixture of Joker Marchant just as much as the dugouts, the scoreboard, the radar gun, etc. When the straw hat wasn't in the corner by the home dugout, something just felt...off.

In my mind, any tribute to Roger should include a picture. It's really hard to find one that he's actually in. Over time, morons have come and gone (including myself for a couple of years) and even reconnected again. This is a picture I could find that included Roger and I cherish it. This group of friends all consistently attended games when I first started coming. Robie, we all love you and are here for you.

467758737_f41270cfa1_z.jpg

PS - I finally traded in the Cubs hat for a Tigers hat full time over the last couple of years. I would say the hospitality in Lakeland over the last 10 years played a pretty big role in that change. This sounds strange to say...it almost felt sacrilegious at the time, but I knew it was the right decision.

Thank you for posting this photo. This was the first time I met Roger and Robie. Such nice people and so welcoming to us visiting from up north. We were fortunate to see them opening day this season for the Lakeland Tigers. Roger will be missed. Prayers from Grand Rapids.

It was really a pleasure and a privilege to get to know Roger and Robie during our visits to Lakeland. One of my favorite stories they shared was of taking a large group of Flying Tigers out to a Japanese steakhouse one night after a game. The minor leaguers really don't get paid much and Roger and Robie were very happy to take them out for a special meal and would do a lot of other things to make sure they were taken care of.

You could always find Roger out by the back fields during Spring Training with his big camera equipment, and it was nothing for the players to come by and greet him by name.

When we didn't see them at a Flying Tigers series in June, we asked around and some of the other regulars told us that Roger was going through some health issues. They all said how much they hoped he would be back at Joker Marchant soon.

This is such sad news. Prayers to Robie and the extended Tigertown family of people who loved Roger - and that was a lot of people.

Been reading these forums for years and always saw him as a big part of this community. Sorry to hear about this sad news.

Some great memories shared here. Years ago when that video of me showed up he told me I'd fit right in at his officers club. That made me smile. I didnt know him like others here did. I was looking at my private messages here and noticed he sent me one last year on my birthday which is tomorrow. I'm sure he did that for others but it shows his personal touch. Sure wish I met him. No matter how much we argue on here at times i do consider all of you friends... except Biff. I am sure Roger knew that. God bless his wife and family and thanks for sharing him with us.

RIP Roger. I did not know Roger but he was a familiar presence on this site. Nice read on everyone's comments. This is a wonderful message board and my thoughts and prayers are with his family and members on this board who was close to him.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

Roger - a loyal fan, a true gentleman, and a willing help. I will miss his tone in his posts. He made this place better. I'll always remember how helpful he was for visits to Lakeland, how eager to point out other MTS posters sitting in Joker Marchant. His loss leaves a void. My condolences to his family.

Very sad news. I'm going to miss his kind posts, they were always positive even during a not so cordial discussion topic. His Spring Training posts were always a sign that warmer weather and baseball was soon on their way.

Edited by dadair6

Sad day indeed. He was keen to debate, heated or otherwise, then be the first one to answer a question, sincerely and with kindness. Never met him outside the board, sure felt like it though.

RIP Huey.

RIP Roger. I always enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your pictures from Lakeland. You will be dearly missed but never forgotten. My condolences to family and friends.

RIP Roger... never had the pleasure of meeting him, but I'm thankful for his service to the country, the pictures and insight he brought from spring training and (of course) his insights and hot-takes on the major political issues of the day. This board will never quite be the same.