Yoda

Roger DeWitt (HueyTaxi)

Our fellow poster Roger, HueyTaxi, passed away from cancer shortly after midnight last night.

Their son was the Lakeland Tigers bat boy in the early 2000's and passed away at the age of 15 due to diabetes. Roger and his wife, who weren't baseball fans earlier in life, made a pledge to attend every game from that point on. This is where I met them in 2004. My season tickets were right behind theirs for a couple years. They were nice enough to let me stay at their house for a couple weeks at one point. They were very kind and always put others first.

His poor wife, who used to post here as TeamMom, had just retired less than a week ago. Life is forever changed for her and I hope she's able to find peace.

Farewell, friend.

4524533753_a664d4ebee_o.jpg

A kind and gentle man, who loved his family, friends, and Tiger baseball. And a good soldier, too. A piece of me goes with you, Roger. Hoping you will have a catch with Ryan today. Vaya con dios.

Sad day for MTS, sad day for Lakeland, sad day for all of us who appreciated his grace, his mostly righteous orneriness, his service, and his ability to carry off the wearing of a straw hat.

We have lost an original.

Sorry to lose such a great person, met him and TeamMom a few times at spring training, it won't be the same without the man in the giant white hat.

Roger had been in the ICU for a few days, and Robie had been asking for a lot of prayers.

I met Roger (and Team Mom and Yoda) when Terrie and I came to Lakeland for Fantasy Camp, and Roger took a boatload of high quality pictures that showed up in the thread I started on it. I still look at those pictures a lot, and am lucky that such a high quality photographer, and gentleman, was there to capture it.

Thank you, Roger. Godspeed.

2007-01_%20002_zpscoqls3vf.jpg

Wow. I remember the photo. And the creepy Mel Gibson painting and the even creepier girl I was hanging out with. Wasn't Deadshot (kyle) there also? Maybe he was taking the picture.

Roger is also the reason I got into photography. He let me borrow his equipment a few times and I fell in love. That was why I introduced him to the board. He loved taking pictures but didn't really have anyone to share them with. It turned out to be a good outlet for him. I will miss those!

I'm very sad to hear this. I was lucky enough to meet him a couple of times when I visited Lakeland. He was always very friendly and wanted to talk. His spring training photos were a harbinger of spring, so I'll miss that too.

This is very sad news, I will miss Huey. There are not enough people like Huey, and this is a loss for all. God Bless Huey and his family.

Damn. Thank you for posting this. I never met or directly had conversation with him but I always felt he was a great asset to this board and loved the pictures he took. It's sad, but I leave this thread feeling some bits of happy to know so many of you got to meet him. Yoda's anecdotes are especially touching.

Condolences to friends, family, and to all the posters here.

I was posting in 2005 on another Tigers bulletin board when Roger posted, inviting us all to view instructional league photos at Motownsports.

I did check out MTS, and decided that was the place to go for Tigers information. Thanks for that, Roger, and thanks for the hundreds (thousands?) of pictures giving us a taste of baseball in the dead of winter.

I was informed this morning that Hueytaxi aka Roger Dewitt has passed away last night. Roger was a special person to me, him and Robie always treated me like family when they saw me at Joker Marchant Stadium for the LFT baseball season, the countless road trips we went on and just hanging out getting a bite to eat after the games. Roger you will be sorely missed by everyone he touched, I am glad you are at piece my friend, you will always be in my heart. The ballpark won't be the same without you. Rest in Peace my friend as you enter your Field of Dreams.

Our fellow poster Roger, HueyTaxi, passed away from cancer shortly after midnight last night.

Their son was the Lakeland Tigers bat boy in the early 2000's and passed away at the age of 15 due to diabetes. Roger and his wife, who weren't baseball fans earlier in life, made a pledge to attend every game from that point on. This is where I met them in 2004. My season tickets were right behind theirs for a couple years. They were nice enough to let me stay at their house for a couple weeks at one point. They were very kind and always put others first.

His poor wife, who used to post here as TeamMom, had just retired less than a week ago. Life is forever changed for her and I hope she's able to find peace.

Farewell, friend.

4524533753_a664d4ebee_o.jpg

I met alot of people throughtout the year but Roger & Robie treated everyone like family, because at the ballpark that's what we were, I met so many great people through Roger, he will be sorely missed. It brings a smile to my face to know, that him, his son Ryan, and their dog Twighlight are now reunited. Love you very much Hueytaxi R.I.P. my friend.