Motor City Sonics

Lions "Black Swan" Moments

Bobby Ross' "abandon ship" press conference and then quitting in the middle of a season. You could seem him game by game being swallowed whole by Lion franchise suckdom.

Was that when he said he was a good coach?

I have this memory of him saying it in desperation. "I don't tell them to do that.. I'm a good coach". Like the guy in office space talking about having people skills and you can't let engineers talk to the customers.

Yeah - the desperation of that moment was palpable over the radio waves.

I believe the line was 'I don't coach that' or some very closely related thing.

100% correct. I hope we all get to see it before we pass away.

I dream, wish, etc. that dude in Ann Arbor would coach the Lions at some point. If there is anyone that could fix the Lions, Matt Stafford, etc, it is him.

When he went to SF, he rejuvenated Alex Smith and then when he got injured, he made Kaepernick.

Would it be against NCAA or NFL rules if Stafford were coached up for a session or two by Harbaugh?

The Lions also drafted a player #7 overall who was not just a bust, but went to prison for vehicular homicide while in the league

When people call Ryan Leaf the biggest bust in draft history, I always have to say Reggie Rogers because (so far) Ryan Leaf hasn't killed 3 teenagers. What a loser that guy was. Let's not draft anymore people named Rogers, it doesnt seem to work for us (Shaun, Reggie, Charles).

Bobby Ross' "abandon ship" press conference and then quitting in the middle of a season. You could seem him game by game being swallowed whole by Lion franchise suckdom.

By the way, I called it when he quit. I remember the press conference after the game, and how he sounded, he had nothing left. I called WDFN and said he's going to quit and they totally blasted me then he did the next day. I also had a friend that worked for the Lions (the one that gave me the hints about Kevin Jones being released) who told me right after the Press Conference Bobby Ross left the building with a big box and a duffle bag and it was very strange because after home games Bobby would usually be there until 1 or 2 in the morning going over film.

Poor Gary Moeller. The dude makes one bad mistake, where nobody got hurt, and it ruined his life. He would have been Top 10 for Michigan every year and I think he would have been a pretty decent NFL head coach. But Matt Millen met Marty Morningwheg and was "blown away" to the point where he interviewed nobody else.............First person he ever interviewed for a job.......blew him away.

When people call Ryan Leaf the biggest bust in draft history, I always have to say Reggie Rogers because (so far) Ryan Leaf hasn't killed 3 teenagers. What a loser that guy was. Let's not draft anymore people named Rogers, it doesnt seem to work for us (Shaun, Reggie, Charles).

Rodgers is presumably ok! ?

Shaun Rogers performed fine for a 2nd round pick.

Leaf hasn't murdered anybody, but man he's had his problems since bouncing out of the league.

This team isn't tough enough to be called the Lions...they're nowhere close to being the king of the jungle. They should be called the Unicorns or the Sparkle Fairies or something along those lines

This team isn't tough enough to be called the Lions...they're nowhere close to being the king of the jungle. They should be called the Unicorns or the Sparkle Fairies or something along those lines

The Detroit Choke?

By the way, I called it when he quit. I remember the press conference after the game, and how he sounded, he had nothing left. I called WDFN and said he's going to quit and they totally blasted me then he did the next day. I also had a friend that worked for the Lions (the one that gave me the hints about Kevin Jones being released) who told me right after the Press Conference Bobby Ross left the building with a big box and a duffle bag and it was very strange because after home games Bobby would usually be there until 1 or 2 in the morning going over film.

Poor Gary Moeller. The dude makes one bad mistake, where nobody got hurt, and it ruined his life. He would have been Top 10 for Michigan every year and I think he would have been a pretty decent NFL head coach. But Matt Millen met Marty Morningwheg and was "blown away" to the point where he interviewed nobody else.............First person he ever interviewed for a job.......blew him away.

I should put this is 'pet peeve' maybe, but the one on one personnel interview' is maybe the biggest myth in American business culture. It's actually a good measure of a candidate for at most 10% of the types of jobs it is used for. Especially for something like coaching where is is so easy to look at someone's objective record of past performance and where it is so easy to access people for references.

Hmm...candidate 1 has the resume of a complete imbecile, but he had a firm handshake and neatly pressed pants. I like him.

This is how I assume every football coach and baseball manager gets hired.

Marty Morningwheg defers on the overtime coin flip because it was windy.

(12-24-00) Paul Edinger kicks a 54 yard field goal in the final moments of the season, Lions missed the playoffs which led to.....

.....The hiring of Matt Millen

(11-14-99) Lions score in Arizona, go down by 4 points with about 3 minutes left. instead of taking the extra point and cutting it to an automatic 3 point deficit, Bobby Ross goes for 2, they don't get it and the Lions get the ball back and drive down to the 7 yard line, They have to go for a TD, down by 4, and don't get it. Ross said his team looked tired. I heard the real reason is that he did not know the score.

(12-19-04) Lions trail 28-14 to Minnesota at home (December 2004). Joey Harrington leads them back with 2 TDs in the final 3 minutes.....Scores the last TD with 8 seconds left. I was driving with a couple of friends of mine when I said "They will fumble the snap" and they did, Lions lose 28-27. Laughed so hard I almost crash my car.

(10-14-01) Lions down to Minnesota by 5, driving down the field, clock winding down, Germaine Crowell catches a pass and instead of going out of bounds, he cuts to the inside and gets tackled, clock runs out.

(10-05-15) Calvin Johnson fumbles on the 1 yard line, would have put the Lions up at least 3 points in the final 2 minutes - and then get screwed on a non-call by the refs.

You forgot about Eddie Murray missing the winning FG against SF in the 1983 playoffs....for a 13 year old Lions fan that was the beginning of 20+ years of agony, which I mercifully ended 9 years ago.

The Arizona game happened when I spent the weekend in the hospital with my wife and first-born child trying to get him to take formula.....I simply could not believe how they lost that game. When we came home, the basement was flooded, and I swear I blamed it on Bobby Ross.

I remember I was driving down Metro Pkwy in Sterling Heights during the Minnesota loss in 2004....I thought the same ****ing thing as you (and thousands of other Lions fans) thought...they're going to mess up the PAT....when they did I almost crashed. That was one of the final nails in the coffin for me as a Lions' fan.

I suppose my ultimate Lions Black Swan Moment came sometime in the early '80's, when my father took a blue sharpie to one of his old Haynes white T-shirts, drew a "20" on it, wrote "Sims" across the back, and presented it to me. I was thrilled -- I think Billy Sims was the only pro athlete I could name at that point, and now I had his jersey! I wore it around the house with pride... and started caring about the Detroit Lions. Before that, I knew they existed, but probably had never watched a full game. I have lived all over the country since, and have never been able to bring myself to root for the local team -- it has always felt disloyal to early '80's me, a disavowal of the stupid, naive, stupid, dumb enough to be happy, stupid kid I was. I have kept it real ever since, and it has not been remotely rewarding. This message board was a revelation for me -- here I found other people with a similar affliction, people who would gather around the metaphorical campfire to tell stories about the time they lost and got their hearts broken again. Who else does this??? It's both awesome and terrible. I think there must be a very fine line in the human condition between nobility and idiocy.

FWIW, I picked up a love for hockey after moving from Michigan, and never could bring myself to root for the Wings -- they were too successful, see? My fate was long since sealed. And that's undoubtedly why I happened to be living in Atlanta when the Thrashers were formed, and I devoted myself as a fan -- they were guaranteed to be awful as an expansion team. For the record, the team has since moved, and in the history of the franchise they've only made the playoffs twice, being swept both times. So being a Lions fan actually made me uncomfortable with cheering for good teams in other sports, and now I'm repeating the cycle of abuse against myself. The world truly is a better place for me not having kids.