Motor City Sonics

Lions "Black Swan" Moments

I remember the missed PAT against Minn. I was laughing so hard as well.

When Pettigrew got stripped against Tenn a few years back. Hill came in and hit the hail mary and still lost in OT.

Dan O running out the back of the end zone.

I was with my buddy last night and he asked what would happen at the start of the drive. I said its either going to be a spectacular win i.e. fake spike against Dallas or a complete failure that you can't predict or see coming.

The ultimate black swan moment was when the Ford family purchased the Detroit Lions.

Boom.

When I was nine...the 1970 season...they went on a five game winning streak (including wins against the Raiders on Tksgvng, @ the Rams on a Monday night and the 49ers) to finish 10-4 to snag the wildcard. Of course they lost in playoffs to the Cowboys 5-0, but those five games were must wins against a group of good teams and they won all of them. That and 1991 are pretty much it for me on big Lions seasons.

Same for me. I was 11 in 1970 and to this day I swear Joe Schmidt was the best head coach we ever had.

1970 and 1991. Great memories.....

But for every great Lions win, we can all come up with several games they found new ways to lose.

OT on Thanksgiving to Da Bears, Murray missing a FG (a short one for him) to get us to the NFC title game and last night.

Along with 30 or 40 more games, most already mentioned.

The NFL proved they have ZERO credibility on 10/05/2015. Gamblers, liars, cheaters and totally dishonest people run the entire league.

We WILL get screwed several more times this season, count on it.

I think it's too the point that most people aren't emotionally involved... at not to the point of caring that much. I still want to see the Lions win. But it just doesn't bother me for more than a few minutes at the most when the inevitable happens and the Lions or the refs or God or something happens and they lose.

But for us delusional folks, its going to be so much more satisfying when they finally do pull off that SB :)

Add to the list: October 7, 1962. Lions at Packers. Less than two minutes to go, Lions lead 7-6, with the ball on the fifty yard line. Milt Plum passes to Terry Barr, who slips, Herb Adderly intercepts, returns to Lion 18. Paul Hourning kicks winning FG with 33 seconds left.

This might be the cornerstone of Black Swan moments.

My dad always talks about that. Its the venom with which he pronounces the name "milt plum" that makes me think it was quite the black swan event for him.

My dad always talks about that. Its the venom with which he pronounces the name "milt plum" that makes me think it was quite the black swan event for him.

My dad hated Milt Plum as well.

But for us delusional folks, its going to be so much more satisfying when they finally do pull off that SB :)

100% correct. I hope we all get to see it before we pass away.

I dream, wish, etc. that dude in Ann Arbor would coach the Lions at some point. If there is anyone that could fix the Lions, Matt Stafford, etc, it is him.

When he went to SF, he rejuvenated Alex Smith and then when he got injured, he made Kaepernick.

Thanksgiving 1980. Bears score 14 points late in the 4th (the 2nd TD as time expired) to tie the game then return the opening kick-off in OT to win. Lions would have made the play-offs that year had they not blown that game.

Made all the more comical by Jimmy The Greek predicting during the halftime show that the Bears – who were getting beat pretty convincingly up to that point – would "tie it up at the end and win in overtime". I remember thinking, he's either a Bears fan, or a complete idiot.

But of course, he was right, and they did. Classic Lion moment

Chuck Hughes dies on the field at Tiger stadium from massive heart attack. Mike Utley and Reggie Brown suffer career ending injuries. Eric Andolsek gets run over by a truck while doing yard work. Thats just unreal.

100% correct. I hope we all get to see it before we pass away.

I dream, wish, etc. that dude in Ann Arbor would coach the Lions at some point. If there is anyone that could fix the Lions, Matt Stafford, etc, it is him.

When he went to SF, he rejuvenated Alex Smith and then when he got injured, he made Kaepernick.

I like Harbaugh..I really do, but he was not the reason the 49ers were so good. I do not think he made anyone. I think he benefited from a good team and good coaches around him...along with being very good at his job as well. Coaches usually get more criticism than they deserve and sometimes get more praise than they deserve when they have great teams. Phil Jackson is my fav example. A ton of rings, but he had arguably the 2 best teams in those decades to do it with.

Had a competent head coach in Don Mcaffery who dies after 1 year as lions head coach.

The ultimate Lionization.

I like Harbaugh..I really do, but he was not the reason the 49ers were so good. I do not think he made anyone. I think he benefited from a good team and good coaches around him...along with being very good at his job as well. Coaches usually get more criticism than they deserve and sometimes get more praise than they deserve when they have great teams. Phil Jackson is my fav example. A ton of rings, but he had arguably the 2 best teams in those decades to do it with.

I dunno JBK... I'm not a Harbaugh lover or anything, but at least the circumstantial evidence re: Harbaugh and the 9ers is quite convincing: Came it, made it a better team... took 'em to the SB, then when he left things went to crap.

I'd also say that "he benefited from ... good coaches around him" is not just luck. Okay, sure, sometimes luck comes into play, but part of his job as HC is assembling a solid staff around him. The HC probably has little to do with the actual day-to-day actions of the team or even many of the direct actions on the field. That's all handled by under-coaches... people hand picked by the HC.

I dunno JBK... I'm not a Harbaugh lover or anything, but at least the circumstantial evidence re: Harbaugh and the 9ers is quite convincing: Came it, made it a better team... took 'em to the SB, then when he left things went to crap.

I'd also say that "he benefited from ... good coaches around him" is not just luck. Okay, sure, sometimes luck comes into play, but part of his job as HC is assembling a solid staff around him. The HC probably has little to do with the actual day-to-day actions of the team or even many of the direct actions on the field. That's all handled by under-coaches... people hand picked by the HC.

I'd agree with this. SF did have a lot of talent, but this is a prime example of the kind of impact a head coaching change can make

There are plenty of reasons they became better and then went to crap. Picking the ONE person is lazy IMO. Look deeper. He helped, but he was not THE reason.

He wasn't being a jerk about it.

He wasn't being a jerk, but man is it getting old to me having people seek out Lions threads to tell Lions fans how much better it is not being a Lions fan.

And look what he is doing this year. The mediocre team he inherited has destroyed everybody but Utah, which is currently ranked #5 nationally.

And look what he is doing this year. The mediocre team he inherited has destroyed everybody but Utah, which is currently ranked #5 nationally.

Correct and the games coming up against Northwestern, MSU, and OSU should be great.

Some coaches have something about them where they can go to a team and change things pretty quickly and I believe Harbaugh is one of them.

Before Harbaugh came to SF, the 49ers made the playoffs exactly 0 times in the prior 8 seasons.

Edited by nd1377

Bobby Ross' "abandon ship" press conference and then quitting in the middle of a season. You could seem him game by game being swallowed whole by Lion franchise suckdom.

He wasn't being a jerk, but man is it getting old to me having people seek out Lions threads to tell Lions fans how much better it is not being a Lions fan.

Understandable, but the larger point stands. I don't think he was being a jerk, so it isn't fair to call him a jerk.

Frankly I thought the response was much worse regardless.

My guess regarding Harbaugh is that he is one of a extremely small group of coaches that can:

a. motivate / get guys to play for him passonately,

b. surround himself with quality support staff and

c. apply quality in-game strategy.

I think there are a lot of guys that can get one leg of that stool, and a fair number two.

In any event, to address JBK's point, there never is **one** thing or proximate cause to explain success in any endeavor as competitive and analyzed as NFL football. But Jim Harbaugh at this stage appears to have been a pretty significant factor in SF' success.

Understandable, but the larger point stands. I don't think he was being a jerk, so it isn't fair to call him a jerk.

Frankly I thought the response was much worse regardless.

He's been a jerk to me for a long time.

The ultimate black swan moment was when the Ford family purchased the Detroit Lions.

Sad day in American history.