Motor City Sonics

Lions "Black Swan" Moments

They are talking on 97.1 (and please don't rip on Stoney, he did something amazing for a friend of mine once, really amazing, he's a good person) about Lions "Black Swan" Moments. There are a bunch.

63 yard FG by Tom Dempsey (I don't remember this one, I was 3 or 4 years old).

These are some I remember myself

Marty Morningwheg defers on the overtime coin flip because it was windy.

(12-24-00) Paul Edinger kicks a 54 yard field goal in the final moments of the season, Lions missed the playoffs which led to.....

.....The hiring of Matt Millen

(11-14-99) Lions score in Arizona, go down by 4 points with about 3 minutes left. instead of taking the extra point and cutting it to an automatic 3 point deficit, Bobby Ross goes for 2, they don't get it and the Lions get the ball back and drive down to the 7 yard line, They have to go for a TD, down by 4, and don't get it. Ross said his team looked tired. I heard the real reason is that he did not know the score.

(12-19-04) Lions trail 28-14 to Minnesota at home (December 2004). Joey Harrington leads them back with 2 TDs in the final 3 minutes.....Scores the last TD with 8 seconds left. I was driving with a couple of friends of mine when I said "They will fumble the snap" and they did, Lions lose 28-27. Laughed so hard I almost crash my car.

(10-14-01) Lions down to Minnesota by 5, driving down the field, clock winding down, Germaine Crowell catches a pass and instead of going out of bounds, he cuts to the inside and gets tackled, clock runs out.

(10-05-15) Calvin Johnson fumbles on the 1 yard line, would have put the Lions up at least 3 points in the final 2 minutes - and then get screwed on a non-call by the refs.

And this is the one that changed my Lions life.

October 16, 2005.

The Lions were beating the Carolina Panthers 20-14. They knock Jake Delhomme out of the game on a dirty hit. Panthers get 15 yards and Oldest Rookie Ever Chris Weinke comes into the game and from I remember it went like this

Weinke to Proehl

Weinke to Proehl

Weinke to Proehl

Weinke to Proehl Touchdown.

Same route......over and over and over............They couldn't cover Ricky Freaking Proehl.

Walking back to the car (from Bailey's in Dearborn) I simply lost it, screamed every expletive in the book.........Ripped off the Lions sweatshirt I had and threw it in a dumpster. Ever since then, while I still root for them, I don't get mad..........I simply laugh................it's all I can do.

Against the Cowboys in the playoffs last year.

I have been watching football for over 25 years now and I never seen an idiot ref throw a flag, announce the penalty, and then pick up the flag without an explanation until that game.

I've been Lions-free for around 7 years. I cannot for the life of me understand how people still get emotionally involved in this team. It's worse than being a Cleveland fan.

Great thread.

I think Lions fans are adequately prepared for any horrible contingency. They've seen them all before.

Was at Paul Edinger game with my two cousins who are Dallas fans. They laughed and laughed.

1993 NFC Wild Card Brett Favre to Sterling Sharpe in the end zone happened right in front of me as well.

They are talking on 97.1 (and please don't rip on Stoney, he did something amazing for a friend of mine once, really amazing, he's a good person) about Lions "Black Swan" Moments. There are a bunch.

63 yard FG by Tom Dempsey (I don't remember this one, I was 3 or 4 years old).

These are some I remember myself

Marty Morningwheg defers on the overtime coin flip because it was windy.

(12-24-00) Paul Edinger kicks a 54 yard field goal in the final moments of the season, Lions missed the playoffs which led to.....

.....The hiring of Matt Millen

(11-14-99) Lions score in Arizona, go down by 4 points with about 3 minutes left. instead of taking the extra point and cutting it to an automatic 3 point deficit, Bobby Ross goes for 2, they don't get it and the Lions get the ball back and drive down to the 7 yard line, They have to go for a TD, down by 4, and don't get it. Ross said his team looked tired. I heard the real reason is that he did not know the score.

(12-19-04) Lions trail 28-14 to Minnesota at home (December 2004). Joey Harrington leads them back with 2 TDs in the final 3 minutes.....Scores the last TD with 8 seconds left. I was driving with a couple of friends of mine when I said "They will fumble the snap" and they did, Lions lose 28-27. Laughed so hard I almost crash my car.

(10-14-01) Lions down to Minnesota by 5, driving down the field, clock winding down, Germaine Crowell catches a pass and instead of going out of bounds, he cuts to the inside and gets tackled, clock runs out.

(10-05-15) Calvin Johnson fumbles on the 1 yard line, would have put the Lions up at least 3 points in the final 2 minutes - and then get screwed on a non-call by the refs.

And this is the one that changed my Lions life.

October 16, 2005.

The Lions were beating the Carolina Panthers 20-14. They knock Jake Delhomme out of the game on a dirty hit. Panthers get 15 yards and Oldest Rookie Ever Chris Weinke comes into the game and from I remember it went like this

Weinke to Proehl

Weinke to Proehl

Weinke to Proehl

Weinke to Proehl Touchdown.

Same route......over and over and over............They couldn't cover Ricky Freaking Proehl.

Walking back to the car (from Bailey's in Dearborn) I simply lost it, screamed every expletive in the book.........Ripped off the Lions sweatshirt I had and threw it in a dumpster. Ever since then, while I still root for them, I don't get mad..........I simply laugh................it's all I can do.

The CJ process rule a couple years ago.

Cowboys last year.

I cannot recall how many times we got screwed or screwed ourselves to lose a game. 'Finding new ways to lose'

There was one that involved a missed FG by Hanson back in the day that would have secured a win, but he pushed it. He was automatic the whole year. There are a million.

Great thread.

I think Lions fans are adequately prepared for any horrible contingency. They've seen them all before.

Was at Paul Edinger game with my two cousins who are Dallas fans. They laughed and laughed.

1993 NFC Wild Card Brett Favre to Sterling Sharpe in the end zone happened right in front of me as well.

Bingo. That's exactly the play I thought of when opening this thread.

The Lions worked hard to win that division, beat the Pack on the final game to earn home field then in typical Lions fashion leave one of the best receivers in the game wide open in the end zone to lose a heartbreaker. Still to this day, after all the Lions let downs, that play haunts me more than any other. So many opportunities to put that game away then BOOM, over just like that and stupid young Brett Favre running around with his helmet off. Ugh

The Dallas game last season is a close second. I truly believe that the Lions would have given Seattle a run for their money if they advanced.

The original Calvin Johnson rule game against the Bears was a rough one too.

All the other "Black Swan" moments didn't bother me as much because I didn't have much hope for those teams including the game last night. I just kind of laughed off those moments.

Edited by NYLion

Thanksgiving 1980. Bears score 14 points late in the 4th (the 2nd TD as time expired) to tie the game then return the opening kick-off in OT to win. Lions would have made the play-offs that year had they not blown that game.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

I've been Lions-free for around 7 years. I cannot for the life of me understand how people still get emotionally involved in this team. It's worse than being a Cleveland fan.

This is the correct answer, incidentally.

The Lions have probably won 1 big game in my lifetime. And that was the 1997 game against the Jets. That was nationally televised, both teams were going for the playoffs, it was a win or go home situation. On a side note Barry was going for 2000 yards. The Lions did actually win that game, but of course in that game they lost the most promising young defensive players they have had in years to a career ending injury. Thankfully Reggie Brown is healthy now, but his career tragically ended that game, and of course that is the one and only big game that the Lions have won in 50 years. That's how cursed they are.

The Lions have probably won 1 big game in my lifetime. And that was the 1997 game against the Jets. That was nationally televised, both teams were going for the playoffs, it was a win or go home situation. On a side note Barry was going for 2000 yards. The Lions did actually win that game, but of course in that game they lost the most promising young defensive players they have had in years to a career ending injury. Thankfully Reggie Brown is healthy now, but his career tragically ended that game, and of course that is the one and only big game that the Lions have won in 50 years. That's how cursed they are.

It's bad enough being a Lions fan but just missing out on their 1 playoff win in 57 years? Ouch

Thanksgiving 1980. Bears score 14 points late in the 4th (the 2nd TD as time expired) to tie the game then return the opening kick-off in OT to win. Lions would have made the play-offs that year had they not blown that game.

As an aside, the day after that game, I was at the Silverdome rooting on the White Pigeon Chiefs against Munising for the State championship. With the burn of the game the day before fresh on our minds, Munising went on to dominate White Pigeon and take the State championship. It was a rough two days. Earlier this summer a couple of buddies and I rode our motorcycles through the UP and when we drove by Munising High School, I flipped it off.

Now back to our regularly scheduled SOL.

I take it you were born after 91?

I'm hip. You can't be disappointed if you have no expectations, and you can't be heartbroken if you have no hope.

That said: my brother is the biggest dyed-in-the-wool Lions fan (and expert) I know, and though Lion moments like these don't affect me much anymore, my heart breaks for him when they happen.

I take it you were born after 91?

Yeah I can't believe I forgot that game. But in my defense I was only 9 years old then and was living in Washington at that time so I didn't get to appreciate it. Regardless, they've have two big wins and one of them they lost a potentially franchise player to a career ending injury. That just doesn't happen to most teams.

If you were 100% Lions free, would you be reading, posting, etc. about the Lions on a Lions forum, even if you are only saying you are Lions free? Come on man, you need to admit it, you are not 100% free yet. There is still a little hope for the Lions in the back of your mind.

Yeah I can't believe I forgot that game. But in my defense I was only 9 years old then and was living in Washington at that time so I didn't get to appreciate it. Regardless, they've have two big wins and one of them they lost a potentially franchise player to a career ending injury. That just doesn't happen to most teams.

I wasn't that big on Reggie Brown at the time, to be honest, but that doesn't change the fact that was some scary stuff. It was very quiet in the Silverdome.

1997. @Tampa Bay in the playoffs. Frank Reich comes in for a concussed Scott Mitchell and leads a big comeback...until he spikes the ball on 4th down essentially ending the game.

I wasn't that big on Reggie Brown at the time, to be honest, but that doesn't change the fact that was some scary stuff. It was very quiet in the Silverdome.

Yeah I maybe overrating him because even then I was relatively young, I just remember people talking about how great he was, but those were the days before advance statistics so they may have been overrating him.

They had a couple of wins against the Bills in that time-frame that were pretty big as well.

Some wins against Favre in the dome were pretty big at the time.

Yeah I maybe overrating him because even then I was relatively young, I just remember people talking about how great he was, but those were the days before advance statistics so they may have been overrating him.

To be clear, I am purely basing that on my memory. I could well be understating his worth and potential as a player.

If you were 100% Lions free, would you be reading, posting, etc. about the Lions on a Lions forum, even if you are only saying you are Lions free? Come on man, you need to admit it, you are not 100% free yet. There is still a little hope for the Lions in the back of your mind.

I hope they win. I really do. I take no satisfaction in them losing. I also feel no joy when they win. I have three Lions items that I retained from the great purge when I decided that I was no longer going to enthusiastically follow the team: an old Lions hat which sits up in a closet and hasn't been seen in years, a Barry Sanders jersey that I have worn maybe once in the last ten years and it is going to be part of my eventual man cave, and a Herman Moore jersey which is probably the most comfortable shirt I own so I break it out every few months.

My reason for posting in the Lions forum is to let people know that it's okay for them to jump ship. There is life after the Lions; a peaceful life that includes stress-free Sundays. Admittedly I hung on for years because I had so many years invested in rooting for them that it seemed to be a shame to let that investment go to waste. It's not a shame and them winning or losing has no direct benefit or loss in my life. As Chasfh said above, I feel bad for those of you who still cling to the hope.