Yoda

2015 Off-season thread

I like the getting pissy at a guy that scouts because he thinks that he knows more about scouting than the guy that doesn't scout. If nothing else, it gives Mark a taste of what it is like to be a scientist.

There certainly are elitist ****bags in every profession, that's for sure.

I like the getting pissy at a guy that scouts because he thinks that he knows more about scouting than the guy that doesn't scout. If nothing else, it gives Mark a taste of what it is like to be a scientist.

Scouts getting pissy because someone questioned them is pretty entertaining too though.

I could be wrong but I don't think he was really getting pissy at Micro. I think the "Master" term was mostly in good fun. He used to call him "The Machine".

Scouts getting pissy because someone questioned them is pretty entertaining too though.

Bernard did have the 47th highest OPS in the EL playing in a hitter friendly park half the time so I don't even know what the statistical argument really is. He does a good job of not striking out but an ISO of .107 is a huge red flag.

Maybe if he played plus defense in CF, but that's where you totally need to rely on scouting to get any meaningful info.

Is there a reason we think VA is Benke? I don't see it. The punctuation is too non-retarded.

In other news, ESPN's Bowden has a post-mortem on the Yankees up today. He discusses what he thinks they need for 2016, including a RH power hitter. He goes on to identify the Tigers and JD Martinez as a possible trade match.

I know Henning has insinuated this too, and I could even see how it could make sense, but it would just be solving one problem to create another. JD is still cheap, especially relative to his production. I just can't see the Tigers trading him without a positively overwhelming return.

Amazing that there was a time when a simpleton like Bowden could get not 1, but 2 cracks at running a team. Amazing.

From twitter:

Detroit Sports 1051

‏@DSports1051

Castellanos says Avila addressed the team. Said owner gave him the go-ahead to get the pieces needed to get the team where they need to be.

From twitter:

Detroit Sports 1051

‏@DSports1051

Castellanos says Avila addressed the team. Said owner gave him the go-ahead to get the pieces needed to get the team where they need to be.

Good to hear. The team needs a lot of pieces. Should be a fun offseason to follow.

Mark blew himself up?

If it is indeed only because they are questioned, I agree. I would bet that they often get the same thing that other professionals get, which is questioned and then given some really weak logic to back it up. Like not understanding the difference between a player's current season stats, and the projectibility of his offensive skills to the MLB.

From twitter:

Detroit Sports 1051

‏@DSports1051

But where does the owner think they need to be? Is Mike still the owner?

Who own da Chief?

Ownzz... ownzz....

Avila apparently runs a much looser ship than Dombrowski

Avila is the people person that DD isn't. I think that the players needed to hear this, and it is good that he talked to them IMO.

All kidding aside, it was pretty cool to get a glimpse of a scouting report. I know a while ago there were photos of handwritten scouting reports of older players posted here. Maybe it was an offseason thing? I can't recall exactly when. Just something that I thought was interesting to look at.

Avila is the people person that DD isn't. I think that the players needed to hear this, and it is good that he talked to them IMO.[/quote

I don't think there is any harm in it. It was just surprising to hear because we'd never hear players talking about stuff like that under Dombrowski.

I think it's kind of refreshing.

I agree. I understand why management likes to keep everything secretive, but I think it can be over done.

From twitter:

Detroit Sports 1051

‏@DSports1051

woooo welcome (back) to the 2016 tigers brayan pena, alejandro de aza, rajai davis, yovanni gallardo, mike pelfrey, jonathon broxton, mark lowe, fernando rodney, and manny parra!

who wouldn't get excited over that???

The Houston Astros just shut out the New York Yankees IN New York, and it wasn't even close, if you watched the games.

Nothing is too crazy.

Tigers WS Champs, 2016.