(a) Bernard is terrible

(b) Bernard is one of the best position prospects in the organization

© a right handed poor mans Quinton Berry

(d) all of the above

© a right handed poor mans Quinton Berry

(d) all of the above

Quintin

Randy Wolf.

If Al Avila has his way, Wolf will be the ace of their rotation.

MLBTR has a model that projects arb salaries.

Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2016 - MLB Trade Rumors

Tigers:

Tigers (6)

Neftali Feliz (5.151) – $5.2MM

Josh Wilson (5.053) – $900K

Al Alburquerque (4.147) – $2.1MM

J.D. Martinez (4.036) – $7.8MM

Andrew Romine (3.049) – $700K

Jose Iglesias (3.036) – $1.5MM

Based on these numbers, they will obviously pass on Feliz and Wilson, and tender the other 4.

Neftali Feliz is going to be one of those guys like Grilli or Johnson who stinks it up here and then moves on and reclaims his career elsewhere. If we keep him he'll just stink. It's a bit of a paradox...or is it ironic...no...I don't think it's ironic.

I'd love to bring back Feliz personally. Not for his arb salary, but maybe a million bucks guaranteed and some strong incentives that get the deal all the way up to 5 mil or so. His stuff seems like its there still

They must fix the bullpen. They need a closer, a set up man and a lefty.

I think they only need 1 starter- JV, Sanchez, FA, Norris, Boyd/Greene/Fulmer

A left handed left fielder is ideal but they must address their pitching staff first.

Neftali Feliz is going to be one of those guys like Grilli or Johnson who stinks it up here and then moves on and reclaims his career elsewhere. If we keep him he'll just stink. It's a bit of a paradox...or is it ironic...no...I don't think it's ironic.

This is 100% accurate. We can't win either way. As an aside, how screwed up is the arbitration system that he could earn $5M+ for having a 7 ERA?? What a joke. I know it takes multiple years into consideration, but shouldn't it take a major career-altering injury into consideration, too? Ridiculous.

If 1 WAR is worth $4 - 5M, then I don't know if I think it is that big a joke.

Besides, MLB players often make almost nothing relative to the value they provide early in their career. Someone getting more than what seems reasonable in arbitration never bothered me much on a philosophical level as a consequence.

Right... In 2010 and 2011 he made less than $1 million combined and was one of the best relievers in the game and took them to the WS both years. The system is set up this way on purpose so when a guy like him cashes in it doesn't bother me.

If 1 WAR is worth $4 - 5M, then I don't know if I think it is that big a joke.

Besides, MLB players often make almost nothing relative to the value they provide early in their career. Someone getting more than what seems reasonable in arbitration never bothered me much on a philosophical level as a consequence.

It's a joke in the sense that he was released with a $4.1M salary and nobody was willing to pay that. I'm not sure 28 innings in Detroit changed anybody's opinion.

But yeah, I'm sure they look at the entire career when figuring salaries so in that sense he'd get 'rewarded' for that. Except that he won't because he'll never get tendered.

This thread needs more Benke rants about being upset over silly things.

Other than being injury prone and bad, Neftali Feliz is pretty good

oh, that means he's bad. Well, he wouldn't be the first reliever to have a good season after 5 miserable ones in a row, but I'd rather not count on it.

Random aside, those MLBTR service time numbers don't match my calculations on Feliz and Wilson. I wonder why, and if that affects the calculations.

Other than being injury prone and bad, Neftali Feliz is pretty good

oh, that means he's bad. Well, he wouldn't be the first reliever to have a good season after 5 miserable ones in a row, but I'd rather not count on it.

Welcome to MLB bullpens, where 90% of pitchers randomly suck year-to-year and the rest have already sucked as failed starters.

It's a joke in the sense that he was released with a $4.1M salary and nobody was willing to pay that. I'm not sure 28 innings in Detroit changed anybody's opinion.

But yeah, I'm sure they look at the entire career when figuring salaries so in that sense he'd get 'rewarded' for that. Except that he won't because he'll never get tendered.

And if he isn't tendered, then Benke's point is moot. So there's that.

This thread needs more Benke rants about being upset over silly things.

I like his rants. He does them the right way.

In other news, ESPN's Bowden has a post-mortem on the Yankees up today. He discusses what he thinks they need for 2016, including a RH power hitter. He goes on to identify the Tigers and JD Martinez as a possible trade match.

I know Henning has insinuated this too, and I could even see how it could make sense, but it would just be solving one problem to create another. JD is still cheap, especially relative to his production. I just can't see the Tigers trading him without a positively overwhelming return.

I like his rants. He does them the right way.

I like the getting pissy at a guy that scouts because he thinks that he knows more about scouting than the guy that doesn't scout. If nothing else, it gives Mark a taste of what it is like to be a scientist.