Yoda

2015 Off-season thread

Braves saving about $6.5 million in cash per mark bowman of mlb.com. So they are sending back at least $2 million.

@TonyPaul1984: Even better news for the #Tigers: I've learned that the #Braves are picking up $2.5M of the $8M Cameron Maybin will make in 2016.

Wow, Maybin is still pretty bad. Hard to rationalize how some think he is coming off a good year (OPS+ 95, OPS sub-.700). If we are viewing him as anything more than a 200-300 AB 4th OF, then that is disappointing.

I'm not really enamored with the move. $7M or $8M (I see different figures) for 28 year old a sub .700 OPS? I mean, I'm not whining about losing Krol. Speier's numbers look decent enough in the minors, but I don't know much more about him than what I can see.

Maybin isn't an everyday player, and his OPS vs LHPs going back starting in 2015 are .711, .575, .435 (limited action in 2013), .630, .751, .584,..... A whopping .645 vs LHPs, which I guess is technically better than what Gose & Collins have shown.

Help us Nori Aoki. You're only everyday LF hope......

Also, Maybin has reverse splits for his career (and for 2015) and hits RHP better than LHP. So he's not a very good platoon candidate, if Avila was planning to use him that way with Collins in LF or even Gose in CF.

At least Rajai had some useful splits that could be exploited to get more out of him. I am not a big fan of this Maybin acquisition.

Wow, Maybin is still pretty bad. Hard to rationalize how some think he is coming off a good year (OPS+ 95, OPS sub-.700). If we are viewing him as anything more than a 200-300 AB 4th OF, then that is disappointing.

I don't think anyone is saying that he's coming off a really "good" year. I said he had one of his best years as a pro last year, which is true. It was probably his second-best year to 2011.

Basically the Tigers are getting a younger version of Davis at about the same price.

No. Davis can hit LHPs (.798).

I'm quite certain he wasn't acquired to be an everyday OF. They gave up garbage to get him and he's a useful player. Still won't stop them from getting an everyday OF. Hoping someone like Aoki or Fowler.

Also, Maybin has reverse splits for his career (and for 2015) and hits RHP better than LHP. So he's not a very good platoon candidate, if Avila was planning to use him that way with Collins in LF or even Gose in CF.

At least Rajai had some useful splits that could be exploited to get more out of him. I am not a big fan of this Maybin acquisition.

The more I think about it, the more I don't like it. They've pissed away $6M unless they are moving Maybin along to someone else.

But his speed will be fun to talk about again.

Meh... I'd rather have Davis I think. Upside is there with Maybin, but I don't think he'll reach. Declining on defense as well.

I'm quite certain he wasn't acquired to be an everyday OF. They gave up garbage to get him and he's a useful player. Still won't stop them from getting an everyday OF. Hoping someone like Aoki or Fowler.

The only way Maybin is useful is if an everyday LF is acquired and Gose/Maybin are a strict CF platoon hitting 9th in the order. Heck, move them down to 10th.

I half expect them to turn around and ship him elsewhere.

The Marlins for Stanton.

Davis is going to be 35. Probably require at least a two year contract. Speed guys can lose their speed quickly.

That's fine. But Maybin's speed doesn't get him on base.

Boo this move! Boo! Boooo! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, that's not a move I'd ever expect out of DD, but we just don't know enough about this brave new world under Avila that we live in. But I still somewhat doubt it. Particularly given that we only traded Krol and Speier for him, it seems unlikely we could flip him for something better than that.

....But flipping him for an equally priced RP, doesn't sound all that bad to me. Potentially.

Davis is going to be 35. Probably require at least a two year contract. Speed guys can lose their speed quickly.

Accepting all of that, he is still the better player and fit.

This really isn't a loss at all for the Tigers. Krol didn't work out and we needed to add depth in the OF. Maybe still could end up being a bench bat in the end if they go out and get a free agent outfielder. And let's be honest, the price tag ($6.5M) is not that high in the current MLB economy. We're getting to the point where $10M/year isn't outrageous for a slightly above average player.

His defense has declined compared to other CF. The speed is still there, so I think he'll still be a good defensive left fielder who can back up in CF. He's not that good, but he's the kind of outfielder Avila was hinting they would pick up, so it's not too disappointing. I like that it's just $6.5 million guaranteed.

Barring a blockbuster trade, I think this is what they'll go with for position players. How much money do the budget scolds think they have left for pitching?

Does Krol even have options left?

Cut him. And you still save the $6M or $7M that you wouldn't have to waste on Maybin.