Yoda

2015 Off-season thread

I'm not trying to call you out specifically. I've seen a lot of similar commentary about moving Iglesias for a LF or CF. I'm not so much worried about what they get in return for Iglesias in terms of a specific position as much as I am the quality of the return. I guess I don't understand why thy couldn't move Iglesias for a pitching prospect or some other return and not acquire an outfielder another way.

If they do trade Iglesias, they are likely looking at a bottom three in the lineup of C, CF, SS. They are going to need to address at least one of those positions with some sort of offensive output. McCann & Holaday, Gose & whomever, Romine & Machado likely isn't going to cut it.

Iglesias is an amazing talent and fans are lucky to see his defensive greatness on a a daily basis. Of course, most fans are stupid and don't recognize it or appreciate it.

Unless the Tigers think that Iglesias has peaked. Then the time is now.

Personally, I don't think that's the case, but don't have a say.

I think he has hit his ceiling, but I don't think he will drop off too much. But even if they think he has peaked and want to maximize a return now, they also have to believe machado and romaine can produce enough. I think that's the bigger issue.

But if they don't have the money to address left field the way they would like and there is a good offer on the table, that could make it an easier decision.

Iglesias is an amazing talent and fans are lucky to see his defensive greatness on a a daily basis. Of course, most fans are stupid and don't recognize it or appreciate it.

He's no Brandon Inge.

What are people's expectations for Machado? Because I am not comfortable at all with the idea of him having a regular role on a team that is trying to win. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I don't think of him as a top-line prospect in any sense, so relying on him to start at SS seems like a huge reach. I'm keeping Iglesias unless someone wants to blow us away.

What are people's expectations for Machado? Because I am not comfortable at all with the idea of him having a regular role on a team that is trying to win. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I don't think of him as a top-line prospect in any sense, so relying on him to start at SS seems like a huge reach. I'm keeping Iglesias unless someone wants to blow us away.

Agree. I dont think Machado can beat Romine out of the starting SS job.

I think he has hit his ceiling, but I don't think he will drop off too much. But even if they think he has peaked and want to maximize a return now, they also have to believe machado and romaine can produce enough. I think that's the bigger issue.

But if they don't have the money to address left field the way they would like and there is a good offer on the table, that could make it an easier decision.

If they could get an inexpensive everyday LF for Iglesias, they could look at someone like Asdrubal Cabrera or even Ian Desmond on a one year deal. That's probably not something that gets done right away in a few weeks, though, as I think both of those guys wait for the market for themselves rather than take what is available to them early on in free agency.

I guess I would have to see what happens with left field, and center field, before determining whether or not Romine/Machado can work at SS. Even then, I think I'd prefer Machado in AAA for a while to start the season, so I'd probably be kicking around for SS options to play ahead of or pair with Romine.

No, some fans see names like Collins and Raburn and panic.

Agree. I dont think Machado can beat Romine out of the starting SS job.

Dixon made pretty big strides this last season. He's killing the VWL (.333/.434/.571) and showing surprising power. Late bloomer? He beats Romine pretty easily just on defense, and has more offensive upside. He'd be a dropoff from Iglesias but I don't think the difference would be so great that it would sink the Tigers.

Edited by Yoda

If they could get an inexpensive everyday LF for Iglesias, they could look at someone like Asdrubal Cabrera or even Ian Desmond on a one year deal. That's probably not something that gets done right away in a few weeks, though, as I think both of those guys wait for the market for themselves rather than take what is available to them early on in free agency.

I guess I would have to see what happens with left field, and center field, before determining whether or not Romine/Machado can work at SS. Even then, I think I'd prefer Machado in AAA for a while to start the season, so I'd probably be kicking around for SS options to play ahead of or pair with Romine.

I don't see the point trading a cheap decent player and creating another hole. The best trade value comes at the deadline as desperate teams give away more. I don't think Iggy's value is high enough to create another hole on the roster. Machado isn't ready to take over and you still have free agency to fill the roster.

Re Iggy and injuries...I don't think he's ever played a full season...I don't think he's ever played more than 130 games in a season. It's entirely fair to call his durability and/or stamina into question.

I don't see the point trading a cheap decent player and creating another hole. The best trade value comes at the deadline as desperate teams give away more. I don't think Iggy's value is high enough to create another hole on the roster.

But its all relative. It depends upon what can be gotten for Iglesias and what is attainable via free agency and trade to cover whatever other holes there are after moving Iglesias.

I don't expect it to happen, but if there's a deal to move Kinsler and bring back talent, I wouldn't necessarily be against it if the Tigers had reason to believe they could fill 2B adequately.

And I don't necessarily agree that the best trade value comes at the deadline.

Machado isn't ready to take over and you still have free agency to fill the roster.

Yeah, like I said, I'd prefer that he start out in Toledo and play every day there. I'm not sure that he's ready either.

Re Iggy and injuries...I don't think he's ever played a full season...I don't think he's ever played more than 130 games in a season. It's entirely fair to call his durability and/or stamina into question.

He played 142 games between AAA and the majors in 2013.

You have to consider the type of injury. Running/shins, sure. Being hit by a baseball in the finger, not so much. Some are just flukey.

And the rest are stupid for other reasons...

Iglesias also missed time with groin and knee injuries this year. The other thing which is a problem is that he went through a period in the summer where he was not fielding well. At the same time, he has the skills to be an elite defender and I don't think his on base skills are a fluke. He has both real talent and real question marks.

Unless the Tigers think that Iglesias has peaked. Then the time is now.

When the replacement is Machado, or anyone like that, then there's pretty much never a time that you'd trade Iglesias.

My expectations are low. Utility fielder or occasional stand-in when recalled from AAA. That's about it. I agree on keeping Iglesias unless blown away (and I don't expect that to happen).

When the replacement is Machado, or anyone like that, then there's pretty much never a time that you'd trade Iglesias.

Gotta maximize the value of your resources

Gotta maximize the value of your resources

which includes keeping resources when they are more valuable than the resources you get in return.

which includes keeping resources when they are more valuable than the resources you get in return.

No doubt about it.

It depends upon what the return is and what other options are available to replace Iglesias.

Dixon made pretty big strides this last season. He's killing the VWL (.333/.434/.571) and showing surprising power. Late bloomer? He beats Romine pretty easily just on defense, and has more offensive upside. He'd be a dropoff from Iglesias but I don't think the difference would be so great that it would sink the Tigers.

Could be but I'll be less skeptical when I see him do something against MLB pitching. His running average OPS over his last 50 PA last season was still something under a 550 OPS.

I'm just not getting the "trade Iglesias" vibe in me right now.

I'm not sure the Tigers could trade Iglesias away for something of similar or better value than they could simply go get in the free agent market this off season anyway. I do hope Machado turns out to be a good player, but I don't want Machado to be Sizemore 2.0 starting at shortstop for 2016 and reading stories by sportswriters all this year and the next year that Machado is only a year or two from really being a good major league player.

Keep Iglesias, buy an outfielder (Or even...jeez, call Torii Hunter, tell him full time RF and move JD Martinez to LF,....done...lol....moving on) and work on another starter or two and the bullpen.

That's all.....

(Or even...jeez, call Torii Hunter, tell him full time RF and move JD Martinez to LF,....done...lol....moving on) ..

This is worst hot stove move I've heard yet. Congratulations!