Yoda

2015 Off-season thread

McCann...McCann...he's our man...if he can't do it...any number of the dozens of other catchers in organized baseball can

Chapman hit with 30 games. Wow. That's a big precedence considering there wasn't even an arrest. Good for MLB.

Chapman has already said he won't appeal.

Chapman hit with 30 games. Wow. That's a big precedence considering there wasn't even an arrest. Good for MLB.

Chapman has already said he won't appeal.

So he will end up missing about a dozen or so appearances. The Yankees took a gamble on him not knowing what the charges were gonna be or what he would be facing and it looks like that gamble paid off. That should have little effect on them in the standings, especially considering the rest of their bullpen.

Edited by RandyMarsh

Bovada has our over under at 81 1/2, if I was a betting man I'd definitely take the over on that. While we certainly could finish below that, I think a lot would have to go wrong to do it. Aside from a bunch of catastrophic injuries I think our absolute floor should be around 75-77 wins and the ceiling at 93-95 with the most likely scenario being mid to upper 80s.

So he will end up missing about a dozen or so appearances. The Yankees took a gamble on him not knowing what the charges were gonna be or what he would be facing and it looks like that gamble paid off. That should have little effect on them in the standings, especially considering the rest of their bullpen.

I think I read earlier that at that point in the season last year, Miller had 15 appearances and 12 or 13 saves already.

Anyone know if this will impact his service time and prevent him from being a free agent after this season?

Anyone know if this will impact his service time and prevent him from being a free agent after this season?

He still gets to be a FA.

Bovada has our over under at 81 1/2, if I was a betting man I'd definitely take the over on that. While we certainly could finish below that, I think a lot would have to go wrong to do it. Aside from a bunch of catastrophic injuries I think our absolute floor should be around 75-77 wins and the ceiling at 93-95 with the most likely scenario being mid to upper 80s.

I think the Tigers are as likely to win 90 games as 81. I disagree more with the projections and the odds for the Tigers more this year than any year I can remember. They really do not need that many things to go right to win 90 games.

He still gets to be a FA.

Barely, but yes. He's at 5 years, 34 days right now. The 30 game suspension will take up 36 days of the 183-day season, and will accrue 147 days. 172 days counts as a full season in service time. He'll be at 6 years, 9 days at season's end.

Barely, but yes. He's at 5 years, 34 days right now. The 30 game suspension will take up 36 days of the 183-day season, and will accrue 147 days. 172 days counts as a full season in service time. He'll be at 6 years, 9 days at season's end.

Interesting, I did not know that. So the Yankees would have been better off in the long run if his suspension was 10 games longer?

The Yankee broadcasters were speculating that 30 days was an agreed to amount, which allowed him to reach FA, so he wouldn't appeal the suspension. If he was suspended 40 days, it would have cost him a year, and he would not have been a FA.

Maybin has a broken wrist. Gone six weeks

It looked bad when it happened.

Maybin has a broken wrist. Gone six weeks

I feel bad for the Kid, he is either as unlucky as they come or has some lousy genes - so unlucky either way I guess. This opens a bit of a door for Collins or Moya if either can manage to walk through it.

I feel bad for the Kid, he is either as unlucky as they come or has some lousy genes - so unlucky either way I guess. This opens a bit of a door for Collins or Moya if either can manage to walk through it.

imagine it will be Collins cause he can play a bit of a centerfield.

Twitter had some questions with Ausmus up, and he said they might be looking outside of the current ST for a CF.

Collins or Moya? No thanks. Both LHB, and neither is a CF. Wynton Bernard in a straight platoon with Gose for a month is much more reasonable. Bernard is already on the 40 man. Maybin should be back around the start of May... But it wouldn't hurt to check the waiver wire at the end of ST, too.

As of now it will be Bernard, and he won't play more than once a week. Gose will get some starts against lefties. No big deal.

Collins or Moya? No thanks. Both LHB, and neither is a CF. Wynton Bernard in a straight platoon with Gose for a month is much more reasonable. Bernard is already on the 40 man. Maybin should be back around the start of May... But it wouldn't hurt to check the waiver wire at the end of ST, too.

yeah - I forgot about about Bernard - no power but his on base skills has been trending up and he can cover some ground. There will also likely be some out of option 4 AAAA types available at the end of ST. They can give Gose as many AB against LHP as they can find for him (as Shelton suggests.....), look at Bernard, see how it's going without having to decide anything till April.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Hell, they could probably just carry Collins (or Moya) but never play him in center and just let Gose play every day. If he takes a knock and needs a day or two off, then you send down Collins and call up Bernard so he can fill in for Gose for a game or two.