Yoda

2015 Off-season thread

Meanwhile........back to baseball.......

Yes, will Rondon be alright after eating all of those palm trees?

Anyone ever take small kids and sat on the berm? We bought seats this year, but the next time we go I am guessing we would get berm tickets so they can run around a little. Wondering if it is more family orientated out there where people would not mind a couple kids running a little or if it is stuffy with young kids getting hammered or couples with no kids.

I am going to try and get to the game super early so we can walk around the berm area with them (never been out there) and see how they like it.

The thing is, I don't think he will reach those offensive numbers for a few years. I don't think he gets there until age 27 or 28, and I'd lean more to 28 than 27.

Reaching league average OPS (with low OBP to boot) at that age does not suggest a long term starting average catcher. It suggests a guy who is likely a back-up who is good enough to start a few years at his peak on merit.

Absent an improvement against RHP greater than what was suggested, I think it is pretty unlikely he becomes a guy who starts in MLB for say 5 seasons even if he avoids injuries or an abnormally quick aging pattern.

Nothing wrong with that. A cost controlled guy that moving forward backs up 2-3 years, starts maybe 2, and then you can dump as he reaches free agency when his cost matches or outweighs his actual delivered value is not a bad asset to have. But I do not see a guy here that is going to surprise or be part of the core or anything like that.

If you think he's not a good hitter, that's a completely valid opinion.

I just disagree with the logic that his 2015 numbers are somehow invalid because he had large platoon splits. That somehow this set of ABs is his true talent and this set of ABs was a fluke. IMO either they were both real or both flukish. I think they were both a bit flukish myself.

Parnell was a great add IMO

I agree. He's one that should be an easy decision to make at the end of ST--if his FB velocity/control is there he's almost certainly worth keeping around. If not he's an easy cut. No downside.

I just disagree with the logic that his 2015 numbers are somehow invalid because he had large platoon splits. That somehow this set of ABs is his true talent and this set of ABs was a fluke. IMO either they were both real or both flukish. I think they were both a bit flukish myself.

Did anyone suggest his 2015 numbers were invalid? I didn't mean to express that if that is what you got out of my commentary.

All I have ever pointed out wrt 2015 numbers is his hitting against RHP were really poor, and that has to improve quite a bit before any serious consideration can be given to handing him the starter's job.

Did anyone suggest his 2015 numbers were invalid? I didn't mean to express that if that is what you got out of my commentary.

All I have ever pointed out wrt 2015 numbers is his hitting against RHP were really poor, and that has to improve quite a bit before any serious consideration can be given to handing him the starter's job.

Ideally he keeps the large platoon split and Salty (or whoever going forward) gets 80 starts against RHP.

I think if he maintains his 2015 numbers that makes him starting catcher worthy.

He won't maintain his 2015 numbers in 2016 unless he either significantly improves his numbers against RHP or maintains a large platoon split.

The former would make him a starter candidate, the later makes him a platoon partner.

In other words, it depends on how he gets to those numbers.

He won't maintain his 2015 numbers in 2016 unless he either significantly improves his numbers against RHP or maintains a large platoon split.

The former would make him a starter candidate, the later makes him a platoon partner.

In other words, it depends on how he gets to those numbers.

I think that to be considered starter material for a contending team, he needs to either improve his hitting, or improve his receiving skills. I think there is a good chance that he does the latter.

Parnell was a great add IMO

Matt Latos would also have been a great depth addition to the starting rotation. Even last year, when he kept getting traded, he had 100 Ks and only 32 BBs in 116 innings. Yes, his ERA was 4.95 but he had a 3.53 FIP. I also understand he had some injuries, but nothing catastrophic I believe. Oh well, he's only 28 and has been a consistent 3-4 type starter his whole career. I'll bet the White Sox get a nice return on the 3 million they spent on him.

I think that to be considered starter material for a contending team, he needs to either improve his hitting, or improve his receiving skills. I think there is a good chance that he does the latter.

Posting a .600 OPS against RHP with a .280 OBP probably should not make James a starting catcher for a 90 win team independent of the improvement of his defense.

Alternatively, that would only work in a situation when the other catcher is worse and the rest of the team is good enough it doesn't matter who catches.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

Excellent minor league signing with no-risk and possible high reward!

Agree with this--wish we made more of these types moves. Could be a contributor or a trade chip if he can rebound.

Matt Latos would also have been a great depth addition to the starting rotation. Even last year, when he kept getting traded, he had 100 Ks and only 32 BBs in 116 innings. Yes, his ERA was 4.95 but he had a 3.53 FIP. I also understand he had some injuries, but nothing catastrophic I believe. Oh well, he's only 28 and has been a consistent 3-4 type starter his whole career. I'll bet the White Sox get a nice return on the 3 million they spent on him.

Sounds like there were some clubhouse/attitude concerns with him, which had teams shying away. If he really is a jerk, he'll fit in nicely with the Chisox.

Posting a .600 OPS against RHP with a .280 OBP probably should not make James a starting catcher for a 90 win team independent of the improvement of his defense.

Alternatively, that would only work in a situation when the other catcher is worse and the rest of the team is good enough it doesn't matter who catches.

Should being the operative word, but I am less sure in a world where Alex Avila was league average offensively for a catcher.

To be fair to McCann, he's really hurt by the pitch framing numbers. If he improves those numbers he could be ok.

Should being the operative word, but I am less sure in a world where Alex Avila was league average offensively for a catcher.

Alex Avila had an OPS of 0.665 against RHP last year with an OBP of 0.355, which was Alex' worst full season against RHP in his career.

McCann was significantly worse than that against RHP.

Alex Avila had an OPS of 0.665 against RHP last year with an OBP of 0.355, which was Alex' worst full season against RHP in his career.

McCann was significantly worse than that against RHP.

Understood. I wasn't trying to compare the two, but rather illustrate that the bar is low wrt to hitting at the catcher position.

I like the Parnell signing in that it is a minor league deal so there are no costs to amortize with overusage while he stinks up the joint (I hope), unlike the high potential of doing so with Mike Pelfrey.

To be fair to McCann, he's really hurt by the pitch framing numbers. If he improves those numbers he could be ok.

I had noticed that Alex, who was considered a good to very good pitch receiver, did not offer a target to most of his pitchers. My guess would be that as a result he less often was moving away from the K zone to receive a pitch. McCann OTOH, usually does set a middle target so he is moving out of the zone even to take a good pitch at a corner. Changing that aspect of his style might be all that is needed to change the Umpire's perceptual background. Or alternately set your target but set it at the limit of how far off the plate you want the pitch - again the idea being to avoid movement away from the zone while catching the pitch.

McCann strikes me as a guy who can take direction and will make necessary adjustments. I'm willing to bet he can get better with experience. Might not be an All-Star level catcher, but should be better than average.

Understood. I wasn't trying to compare the two, but rather illustrate that the bar is low wrt to hitting at the catcher position.

Understood, and I wanted to clarify James' current bar vs RHP is not insignificantly lower than that.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

McCann strikes me as a guy who can take direction and will make necessary adjustments. I'm willing to bet he can get better with experience. Might not be an All-Star level catcher, but should be better than average.

Honestly, I'd be over the moon if he were an above average MLB starting catcher for any full season in his career.