Yoda

2015 Off-season thread

Colby Rasmus has had a nice year, a shade under 3 war according to BR & Fangraphs, and could be a solid corner OF candidate. He's not without his warts, but he was actually better this year v LHP than RHP. He won't cost a 2nd round pick and should be significantly cheaper than even Zobrist or Fowler.

He had a terrible July but was solid to very good in every other month.

The #1 thing on Avila's too do list should be to trade JD. If you arent 100% convinced this team can compete for a WS next year, and im not sure any reasonable person could think this team could given the dire pitching situation, there is literally zero reason to keep him. Take the multiple top pitching prospects and be thrilled you bought low and sold high.

The #1 thing on Avila's too do list should be to trade JD. If you arent 100% convinced this team can compete for a WS next year, and im not sure any reasonable person could think this team could given the dire pitching situation, there is literally zero reason to keep him. Take the multiple top pitching prospects and be thrilled you bought low and sold high.

There is no one to replace his numbers. Gotta keep his production. I would trade Iglesias first.

There's nothing left for Collins to learn. He is what he is at this point. As the left-handed part of a platoon, he'd be good.

He won't be good as part of anything in LF unless he hits at a plus 5 OWAR. His defense is malodorous. Don't think I have see a guy functionally slower to the ball since...since I can't remember anyone slower.

He is a platoon DH at best.

I think Samardzija ends up in Detroit, and I think it'd be a very good signing.

My preference beyond that is to sign one of the LHH LF. Gordon, Zobrist, or Heyward preferred, with Parra or Fowler as secondary options.

They will also have to be aggressive in signing 1 plus bullpen arm and then 1 mid-range guy.

So that's 3-4 positions that have to be addressed via FA, IMO.

After that, they should be patient in acquiring another starter and look for a deal in FA or via trade. I'm okay with dealing Iglesias if and only if it nets a good young pitcher in return. They'll probably need a deal or 2 to fill out the pitching staff, it's hard to say what will be available and what it will cost.

I would be very disappointed if their big signing was Jeff Samajitsukitxy.

He sucks.

Plus, I don't want to have to learn to spell his name.

What makes him different from any good player on the team? By this logic they should go complete firesale.

He could easily have several years of good production ahead of him, it's not as if he's already 37 years old. But enough about Victor....

There is no one to replace his numbers. Gotta keep his production. I would trade Iglesias first.

His production means nothing when you have a third world pitching staff.

What makes him different from any good player on the team? By this logic they should go complete firesale.

I think that's what madmazing wants to do. He thinks they have no chance to compete for the next couple of years, so he wants a fire sale.

He could easily have several years of good production ahead of him, it's not as if he's already 37 years old. But enough about Victor....

What other good player is tradeable? Miguel,Victor and JV aren't. Kinsler was trade-able before DD gifted his replacement to TOR. What a horrible deal that was.

Jose is trade-able, but he still has 4 years of team control, so id rather keep him.

JD is gone in two years and is going to give you a haul. IF you arent 100% convinced this is a WS team, why keep him?

JD is gone in two years and is going to give you a haul. IF you arent 100% convinced this is a WS team, why keep him?

If a GM has to wait until he's 100% confident he has a World Series team, then every team should be having a fire sale.

but you can't make a team better by trading cheap controlled players unless they are blocking other cheap controlled players that can take their place. To trade and get better you have to have excess talent at some position. The Tigers do not have 'waiting in the wings talent' at SS and they especially do not have it in the OF. The current Tiger team is pretty much unable to trade to get better because there is no blocked talent to fill holes with. Trading from this roster will just open one hole to close another.

Edited by Gehringer_2

If a GM has to wait until he's 100% confident he has a World Series team, then every team should be having a fire sale.

There are plenty of teams that go into an offseason knowing they are contenders the next year. There are also plenty of teams knowing they wont be. Det should be one of the teams that knows they wont be. This is a pitching that is on a historic level of bad. Thats not getting fixed in one off season. This franchise isnt going to contend every year. It is what it is.

How do you build a competitive team accounting for the decline/aging in the high priced vets that are currently under contract? I'm not sure that adding another albatross contract helps the cause.

I also don't think that a tear down of the assets with value would accomplish much either aside from just losing a lot for the next 3-4 years. The in-between plan is probably the right move but it can go real bad even if well intentioned.

There are plenty of teams that go into an offseason knowing they are contenders the next year. There are also plenty of teams knowing they wont be. Det should be one of the teams that knows they wont be. This is a pitching that is on a historic level of bad. Thats not getting fixed in one off season. This franchise isnt going to contend every year. It is what it is.

Don't agree at all. This staff was decimated by injuries as much as anything and those can heal. Verlander, Sanchez, Norris and a healthy Greene plus one FA could very well be a fine starting staff. The BP needs to be rebuilt but rebuilding a BP in a one off-season is not an impossible task.

It would be a starting staff with plenty of question marks, but also more than enough upside potential to get to the playoffs.

There are plenty of teams that go into an offseason knowing they are contenders the next year. There are also plenty of teams knowing they wont be. Det should be one of the teams that knows they wont be.

I don't agree with that. They are not contenders right now, but they can become contenders with the right moves. Look at the rest of the tams in the AL Central and you will see they are full of holes going into 2016.

Baseball has probably the most parity of all the 4 major sports. Look at the turnover in playoff teams. It's not hard to contend if you make the proper moves. The Tigers seem stuck in the middle. Even if they spend it could end up disastrous if the core guys they have under contract aren't healthy and productive. Cabrera has 9 years left on a deal and has been hurt the last 3 years in the second half.

How do you build a competitive team accounting for the decline/aging in the high priced vets that are currently under contract? I'm not sure that adding another albatross contract helps the cause.

I also don't think that a tear down of the assets with value would accomplish much either aside from just losing a lot for the next 3-4 years. The in-between plan is probably the right move but it can go real bad even if well intentioned.

You certainly have to be careful with who you give money too. $68M to Victor ended up being a bad idea, but JV, Miggy, Ian and Anibal will earn their $$$ if healthy.

I would also think that athletic outfielders would be more likely to earn their $$$. If they are going to make a splash, that is where it has to be IMO. If they are looking for guys that are simply solid to give the team more depth, then you look at pitching.

I think our position players are very solid and set outside of LF. We need a lot of pitching but that's harder to predict. So it's going to be tricky if there's a budget.

IMO we need to spend ~$60M-$65M or so this off-season on free agents to field a complete team both short and long term; that'd a be ~$185M-$190M payroll. If they are thinking just for the next year or two you can trade some young assets to bring that budget number down.

Baseball has probably the most parity of all the 4 major sports. Look at the turnover in playoff teams. It's not hard to contend if you make the proper moves. The Tigers seem stuck in the middle. Even if they spend it could end up disastrous if the core guys they have under contract aren't healthy and productive. Cabrera has 9 years left on a deal and has been hurt the last 3 years in the second half.

KC is the only AL playoff team from 2014 to return in 2015.

As mentioned by others above, in part bc of wear and tear on Miggy and Victor, I do think it's important to get a solid OF bat for next year. It's not a terrible position to be in, bc this is a deep FA class. We'll also need to bring back Davis, or another RH CFer to work with Gose, if Bernard is a non-prospect.

The FA options...

The 100 million + club

Jason Heyward (26)

Justin Upton (28)

Yoenis Cespedes (30)

Alex Gordon (32)

Next tier

Dexter Fowler (30)

Ben Zobrist (35)

Colby Rasmus (29)

Gerardo Parra (29)

Denard Span (32)

RH CF options

Rajai Davis (35)

Chris B. Young (32)

Austin Jackson (29)

I had mentioned interest in Buerhle on a short deal for the rotation, but it sounds like he might be done. Likely out of Toronto's playoff rotation, possibly off of the postseason roster, and maybe on to retirement.

You certainly have to be careful with who you give money too. $68M to Victor ended up being a bad idea, but JV, Miggy, Ian and Anibal will earn their $$$ if healthy.

$68M for VMartinez didn't end up being a bad idea. It was a poor idea to begin with.

Cabrera is fine at 1B, but he might be heading into the phase of his career where he'll need to see more time at DH. The Tigers better hope VMartinez suddenly becomes healthy and productive enough to spell Cabrera once every week or two.

If the Tigers do acquire a full time LF, hopefully it is someone that bumps Gose and a RH platoon partner to the bottom of the lineup. Zobrist, Heyward, Gordon,..., if they somehow acquire one of these guys, I'd hit them between Kinsler and Cabrera.

He's still a liability defensively, and he may have peaked this year as far as he'll go defensively, but he did make a pretty big improvement from last year. His DRS went from -30 to -9. OOZ plays went from 30 to 49. Even the dreaded fld% went from .950 to .971. Pretty much every measure improved quite a bit. Again I don't know if this is his max or if he'll keep improving but it's hard to not be somewhat optimistic that he'll improve. I think he'll be above-average offensively going forward and if he can get close to average defensively, we have a solid player. I'd like them to hang on to him just to see what he can do but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't see defensive improvement coming and decide to cut ties. We'll see.

+1