Yoda

2015 Off-season thread

One name that I havent heard mentioned as a possible outfield option is Jay Bruce from Cincinnati. He would likely struggle defensively and is coming off of two down years average wise. However, he is still only 28 and the pedigree is there. The Reds, not expecting to compete, have been selling off. I could see them interested in something with like Moya, Farmer, plus which I would be okay with.

If he hits at last years rate he likely wont be significantly better than a full season of Collins but if he hits and gets on base like 2013 then he would be a boom.

Bruce is the kind of guy that you'd love to have on your bench, he's only 28, he is a power/flyball hitter and when he's right he hits RHP well.

His downside is that his $$ is more than they can afford for a bench player, his defense sucks, and he's had two awful years in a row where he hasn't hit LHP or RHP.

If they could get him for a bucket of balls and Cincy eats 1/2 of the contract that might be something worth thinking about, he would probably be better than Collins (but I'm not sure even about that at this point).

Frankly if they are going to get an OFer I pray that it's Upton or at least Fowler and not some reclaim project like Bruce.

Seems like a cheap price to take a look at Edwin in Spring Training.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 7m7 minutes ago

Edwin Jackson to marlins is done. $507.5K

Hmmm....I'd hate to see him do well for FLA when we could have had him for a bucket of balls. FWIW I think he's going to have a nice season for them.

... or at least Fowler and not some reclaim project like Bruce.

I think I said this early early early on, but...

I'd like to see them make a run at Fowler. He was the one guy I targeted from the beginning that, as a switch-hitter and high-OBP guy... would be the perfect guy to put at the top of the lineup, and not force us into a platooning situation at his spot.

Fowler

Kinsler

Miggy

Victor

JD

Salt/ McCann

Castellanos

Iglesias

Maybin/ Gose

I think generates us some runs. And keeps the platoons at 1 spot (CF), aside from Salt getting quite a few starts against RH'ers to not wear down McCann.

He'd cost us a 3rd rounder, but it would still really boil down to years/ $$$. He might be a good candidate for a 1-year with a MUCH better chance to cash in next year... making the $$$ cost this year less significant. 1 year $16-18M? And with a QO, the net cost is a gain from a 3rd rounder to a compensatory pick if he leaves. Win/ win.

I think I said this early early early on, but...

I'd like to see them make a run at Fowler. He was the one guy I targeted from the beginning that, as a switch-hitter and high-OBP guy... would be the perfect guy to put at the top of the lineup, and not force us into a platooning situation at his spot.

Fowler

Kinsler

Miggy

Victor

JD

Salt/ McCann

Castellanos

Iglesias

Maybin/ Gose

I think generates us some runs. And keeps the platoons at 1 spot (CF), aside from Salt getting quite a few starts against RH'ers to not wear down McCann.

He'd cost us a 3rd rounder, but it would still really boil down to years/ $$$. He might be a good candidate for a 1-year with a MUCH better chance to cash in next year... making the $$$ cost this year less significant. 1 year $16-18M? And with a QO, the net cost is a gain from a 3rd rounder to a compensatory pick if he leaves. Win/ win.

It does make some sense. Pretty high OBP, switch hits, runs well, covers ground,... question is, will someone else offer him 3-4 years? Span just got 3 and his 'potential' may not be as great per say. However, teams that are going to sign another OF are being somewhat reduced. Hence, SF, WA may no longer be looking. Yet, Ana, ChiSox, St L and a maybe a few others are. Yet, there are 4-5 quality guys out there, and some teams may be looking to deal an OF (Miami/Osuna, Col LHB, Cin/Bruce... ). In time, which is getting closer, this musical chair OF scenario will continue to play out... One more thing is that Balt. more than likely may sign Davis. Yet, if they do not they will add an OF & 1B.

Yet, where would/could Davis go?

Here's an odd thought...

The slow OF market will help us get a good and swift deal in extending J.D. He should see the light this off-season and may be a bit more amenable in the negotiations...

I think.

It does make some sense. Pretty high OBP, switch hits, runs well, covers ground...

PS: The fallback on a 1-year to Fowler would be a 1-year with Parra.

Fowler the better option of course. But the key is getting him on the contract that Avila/ Ilitch/ Fowler can live with...

PS: The fallback on a 1-year to Fowler would be a 1-year with Parra.

Fowler the better option of course. But the key is getting him on the contract that Avila/ Ilitch/ Fowler can live with...

Go get Cespedes. Please.
I'd rather have Upton.

From Nick Cafardo's Sunday column. I really like hearing this talk. I'm starting to believe that the price on an OFer is becoming reasonable enough that Ilitch and AA are realizing it would be stupid not to bite on one.

I'd love to get Fowler on a Span-type deal. Even 3/39 seems very reasonable. Also, I've been really curious about the case of Chris Davis. Hard to believe Baltimore would offer him 7/150 and even harder to believe he wouldn't jump at it... But Boras is good at talking owners into things and Buster Olney was reporting that Boras has been marketing Davis as an OFer. Hard to imagine, he'd pay more for Davis than what Cespedes is going to get though...

6. Yoenis Cespedes, OF, free agent — The Tigers could try to get Cespedes back. The Mets could do something if Cespedes doesn’t have anything else, getting him at a lower term than the $150 million or so over six years being bandied. One major league source indicated that Cespedes is a hot topic within the Tigers organization and the reaction is split.

7. Dexter Fowler, OF, free agent — Fowler could wind up being one of the real bargains of the free agent class. He’s likely not getting the three-year, $31 million deal Denard Span got, but he should get a three-year deal. Hard to see where he fits, but if the Rockies trade Charlie Blackmon or Carlos Gonzalez, you could see a fit there. The Tigers could also bite.

9. Chris Davis, 1B, free agent — All indications are that negotiations with the Orioles are at the ownership level with agent Scott Boras. Owner Peter Angelos wants Davis aboard, but he’ll draw the line. It’s not known if Davis has anything else on the table, because if he does it’s been kept quiet. The Orioles appear to have a drop-dead date in mind, and while they’d prefer a lefthanded bat, they could turn to Justin Upton or Cespedes. Don’t rule out a deal between the Orioles and Rockies for Gonzalez, either. While he’s seen as a Coors Field hitter, Gonzalez would likely put up big numbers in Camden Yards. A sleeper team for Davis? The Tigers. He could play left field.

Nick Cafardo: The case for and against Manny Ramirez’s Hall of Fame bid - The Boston Globe

Would we (as fans) benefit from a system that was in place that paid players for what they did as opposed to a straight salary? Do you think the play on the field would be better? Come up with a matrix that pays a player based on every number. It would have to be comprehensive and include bonuses for winning the game, crucial hits in the late innings of games etc. Seems like we have the numbers being tracked to come up with something that would truly pay those who played the best..not who played the best the last 2-3 years and you are paying for what they did as opposed to what they will do.

It seems the contracts are getting so far out of whack that you could institute a min 1,000,000.00 salary (or something similar...a minimal number) for every player and then pay them based on what they did that year. Have insurance of some sort that protects guys from injury. Miggy hits .380 with 50 bombs and someone wants him at the end of the year....you have to pay the franchise what they want or the franchise simply keeps control over the player. It is a league wide matrix that everyone has to follow so a player going to NY cannot make more than what he makes with Tampa Bay, but Tampa Bay can cash in on a great player by having NY pay the franchise x to buy the rights of that player?

I think you would see more teams concentrating on drafting the right players that way.

A player's value to a franchise can mean a whole lot more than the numbers he puts up. It's all about The Schwartz. Merchandising! And butts in the seats getting fatter from gobbling nachos and sipping longneck fru fru drinks. May the Schwartz be with you!!

Seems like a cheap price to take a look at Edwin in Spring Training.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 7m7 minutes ago

Edwin Jackson to marlins is done. $507.5K

The Cubs are on the hook for his last contract minus whatever a new team pays him, so he wasn't going to sign for more than the minimum.

9. Chris Davis, 1B, free agent — All indications are that negotiations with the Orioles are at the ownership level with agent Scott Boras. Owner Peter Angelos wants Davis aboard, but he’ll draw the line. It’s not known if Davis has anything else on the table, because if he does it’s been kept quiet. The Orioles appear to have a drop-dead date in mind, and while they’d prefer a lefthanded bat, they could turn to Justin Upton or Cespedes. Don’t rule out a deal between the Orioles and Rockies for Gonzalez, either. While he’s seen as a Coors Field hitter, Gonzalez would likely put up big numbers in Camden Yards. A sleeper team for Davis? The Tigers. He could play left field.

I'm not sure Davis in LF is such a great idea. Smaller yard, sure, worth a try if you need the bat. The spacious LF pastures of Commercial Park? Nah, I think pass.

The Davis in LF thing is Boras' transparent attempt to get more teams interested in Chris.

I do not want to be experimenting with Chris in LF.

The Davis in LF thing is Boras' transparent attempt to get more teams interested in Chris.

Especially in Comerica... That has disaster written all over it, and you are basically stuck with him out there unless Martinez or Cabrera is hurt.

Oh, no doubt it is a sales pitch. It's just Boras being Boras.

A team with a smaller LF, say Baltimore or Cleveland, could probably get away with it. The Tigers? Not so much.

Can't believe Davis didn't sign that 152 million contract when it was offered. That's way more than he is worth. Boras might have screwed up another player's baseball life. I would not be surprised if he ends up signing for much less somewhere.

Davis is a bad idea but it wouldn't be the first time Boras talked Ilitch into signing a slugger long-term and ended up with too many 1B/DH types on the roster.

If Ilitch signs Davis when more useful...and cheaper...options like Cespedes and Fowler on the board. I will go back to college to get my PHD in Psych just so I can credibly recommend a 72 hour psych hold at a local hospital.

I thought Cabrera handled 3B well enough.

I was considering a Davis to 1B, Cabrera to 3B, Castellanos to RF, JDMartinez to LF post, but I forgot which shade of font is for sarcasm.

If Chris Davis was willing to sign a one year deal, I would do it. He wasn't terrible in the OF last year. He was actually close to average.

I thought Cabrera handled 3B well enough.

Well enough for a guy who could win six or eight net games for you with his bat alone. With that kind of bat, you could afford to let him lose a couple net games for you with the glove, which is what Miggy did. It beats having a guy who will win a couple games for your with his glove alone but only a game or so with the bat.