Yoda

2015 Off-season thread

McCann also hit to a robust .609 vs RHPs while Montero was at .749 last season and .792 for his career. There might not be a deal there, but if there were an opportunity for the Tigers to move Sanchez for Montero and replace him with a more durable pitcher, they'd have to consider it.

false.

a $13 million increase in payroll for a .8 increase in WAR is not worth it in anyway shape or form.

There is a theory that once a pitcher gets through a certain age without injury, he becomes a safe bet. Scherzer has made it through 7 years without an injury which is quite impressive, so while Price might be considered a smaller injury risk I don't consider Scherzer a particularly risky pitcher.

didn't work for JV. :depress:

Edited by Gehringer_2

didn't work for JV. :ponder:

Nothing works for pitchers. Price spent time on the DL in 2013 with a strained triceps.

Nothing works for pitchers. Price spent time on the DL in 2013 with a strained triceps.

And Max was not full strength due to a shoulder issue in the 2012 playoffs.

If Al did move Iglesias to the Padres it would not have to be for pitching. If Iglesias + more could get you Spangenberg and Wil Myers then he could flip Kinsler for pitching.

McCann (25) Miggy (33) Spangenberg (25) Machado (24) Castellanos (24) Romine (30) Myers (25) Gose (25) JD (28) Collins (25) and Victor (37) would be an interesting team.

I think McCann will be a big disappointment next year....and I still don't want the Tigers to invest in the catching position.

At the very least they have a guy who is young and a good defender. That's enough for me considering the other holes they have to fill. Even if his bat sucks catcher is one of two (imo) positions where you can deal with it. (that's right, I'm not counting CF in that club anymore)

And Max was not full strength due to a shoulder issue in the 2012 playoffs.

I had forgotten about that, but he still struck out 13.5 per 9 IP!

I am no expert but Verlander's delivery seems more violent than Prices. Still, I agree with your point. I would not have predicted Verlander to have arm problems so quick after he signed his extension. He had an excellent track record. The loss of velocity was more predictable because all pitchers get that and it is disappointing it has taken him so long to adjust. Next year will prove if his adjustments are legit.

IDK, I don't think the people that are supposed to know these things have ever said JV's delivery is anything but smooth and good form. And it's arguable that JV still has never has any significant arm (as in elbow/shoulder/joint) issues.

I remember a pitcher that everyone thought had amazing mechanics. (Unless you are an inverted W fanatic) The immortal Jeremy Bonderman

RIP Bondo

I remember a pitcher that everyone thought had amazing mechanics. (Unless you are an inverted W fanatic) The immortal Jeremy Bonderman

RIP Bondo

The vascular condition and unsuccessful surgery was not a mechanics issue, but didn't he have TJ done after he had retired and was attempting a comeback?

Daniel Norris seems like realiius dealius . What of Boyd and does Fulmer project to be in that top tier level?

The vascular condition and unsuccessful surgery was not a mechanics issue, but didn't he have TJ done after he had retired and was attempting a comeback?

Yeah, just goes to show that anything can happen with a pitcher. Obviously you'd prefer good mechanics, but it seems like quite a crapshoot.

I gotta say I am impressed by Avila's demeanor and willingness to share info and plans.... He didn't say much at his initial press conference but he's been saying a lot since. And I like what I hear.

false.

a $13 million increase in payroll for a .8 increase in WAR is not worth it in anyway shape or form.

Oh, I wouldn't want him unless salary were taken of in some form or another. I thought I've mentioned that.

I think McCann will be a big disappointment next year....and I still don't want the Tigers to invest in the catching position.

At the very least they have a guy who is young and a good defender. That's enough for me considering the other holes they have to fill. Even if his bat sucks catcher is one of two (imo) positions where you can deal with it. (that's right, I'm not counting CF in that club anymore)

I understand the cost/value of using McCann as a starter. But there's not much value if he doesn't improve against RHPs unless the rest of the lineup is shored up. If they can improve at C and McCann is used largely in a platoon, I don' see the harm in that. Is McCann that valuable defensively or in handling the pitching staff that he needs to be trotted out there every day against RHPs? A .609 OPS vs RHPs is sufficient in a lineup that has had some difficulties vs RHPs?

Your OBP must be ----- this high to play on my team. (That's .330 high for those of you who can't tell)

McCann was at .297 last season.

How about this for entertainment next season:

Trade scraps for Jonathan Papelbon.

Sign AJ Pierzynski on a cheap one season deal to pair with McCann.

Trade for the enigmatic & self absorbed Matt Harvey.

Dump Ausmus and tab Ozzie Guillen as manager.

Bring back Bruce Rondon.

Daniel Norris seems like realiius dealius . What of Boyd and does Fulmer project to be in that top tier level?

I don't know what our resident geniuses have to say about Fulmer, but he sure tore it up in the minors this season.

Currently, the offense is pretty good without a upgrade in the OF, assuming generally good health. If they go cheap in the outfield, it may be best to get a good glove guy to add to the mix.

He would need a lot of starting and bullpen pieces no matter who the manager is.

Undoubtedly, however I think better managers make better use of marginal pieces. Brad's incompetence will require more bullpen talent at a higher $$ to make the bullpen work IMO.

If Brad had had one unlucky year and one OK year with the BP I might withhold judgment...but he has taken two bullpens with very different personnel and they have both been bottom-feeders. DD's record of building BPs wasn't good but it was NEVER that bad with Leyland. IMHO Brad's BP record is squarely on him until he proves otherwise.

Undoubtedly, however I think better managers make better use of marginal pieces. Brad's incompetence will require more bullpen talent at a higher $$ to make the bullpen work IMO.

If Brad had had one unlucky year and one OK year with the BP I might withhold judgment...but he has taken two bullpens with very different personnel and they have both been bottom-feeders. DD's record of building BPs wasn't good but it was NEVER that bad with Leyland. IMHO Brad's BP record is squarely on him until he proves otherwise.

In terms of runs allowed, Leyland's bullpens did better. In terms of record in close games (one or two runs), Ausmus's teams have done better the last two years than Leyland's teams did in the last two years.

I know Texas and Houston have better pitchers than we do. But watching Bannister and Hinch operate yesterday in the late innings made me Brad sad.

In terms of runs allowed, Leyland's bullpens did better. In terms of record in close games (one or two runs), Ausmus's teams have done better the last two years than Leyland's teams did in the last two years.

Which likely says more about the offense than the bullpen. This is a Cecil post.

Which likely says more about the offense than the bullpen. This is a Cecil post.

What does it say about their offense? They did even better in close games when their offense fell apart in the second half. What it tells me is that they were able to win close games despite a terrible bullpen and suspect management. That was probably luck, but I don't think a better manager could have won much more with this awful staff.