Yoda

2015 Off-season thread

Yeah, McCann costs nothing, there's nothing in FA, and even average catchers cost a lot. He hit league average for the position, provided solid D, and is 25. He's getting the ABs, no question. And he will provide far more than what we pay him.

This.

What other FAs do we want to tank in the postseason?

If Kazmir threw a couple stinkers, that wouldn't hurt our cause. And maybe Heyward will go 0-for-20 with 3 errors, dropping his price to $200M.

David Price cost himself some money today?

pretty weird two man game between Odor and Price. Price hit him twice leading off the 3rd and 5th innings and he scored each time, then Odor hit a HR off Price in the 7th (and scored again of course)

Oh, I hope I'm wrong as well. I think we're staring at an underwhelming duo behind the plate, or at the plate anyway. If the rest of the lineup is taken care of, left field is addressed, Gose platoons with an adequate RHH CF, health/maturity/rebounding around the other spots, than its not such a scary proposition.

McCann had a 1 WAR this year, his rookie year. To compare Montaro was a 1.8. We got about 12 areas we can upgrade before we have to worry about catcher

David Price cost himself some money today?

I think so. Hard to command $300m when you are 0-6 in 6 career playoff starts.

I realize C isn't the Tigers' main priority, not with all of the pitching that they need, and not with a hole in LF. And I'll agree that they likely see it as settled for next season, although they probably need someone in Toledo as injury depth. I'm just not as confident about it.

I think so. Hard to command $300m when you are 0-6 in 6 career playoff starts.

Doubt it. He will get his contract.

I would guess that teams have already figured out how much he's worth and one game isn't going to change that.

McCann had a 1 WAR this year, his rookie year. To compare Montaro was a 1.8. We got about 12 areas we can upgrade before we have to worry about catcher

McCann also hit to a robust .609 vs RHPs while Montero was at .749 last season and .792 for his career. There might not be a deal there, but if there were an opportunity for the Tigers to move Sanchez for Montero and replace him with a more durable pitcher, they'd have to consider it.

yep, the only thing that would hurt a guy is if he looks tired/hurt or is down on velocity or something.

his strike % was not good on his FB but I don't feel like spending any time looking to see if it's any kind of recent trend.

Re: Price I heard the Toronto announcers say his 4 seam was maxing out at 94mph which is decent and his 2 seam and cutter was not exceeding high 80s.

That may have been the layoff or something. As far as his asking price, well...is he better than Scherzer?

Re: Price I heard the Toronto announcers say his 4 seam was maxing out at 94mph which is decent .

Price's best FB is typically 96 plus change.

McCann also hit to a robust .609 vs RHPs while Montero was at .749 last season and .792 for his career. There might not be a deal there, but if there were an opportunity for the Tigers to move Sanchez for Montero and replace him with a more durable pitcher, they'd have to consider it.

Montero would be a good fit, no doubt about it, but it's a luxury that's going to cost $$ and/or prospects, and our assets are limited right now. If you deal Sanchez the money is even there but then you have to sign his replacement and you have to skimp (again) on the BP to do so.

Plus Montero is going to want to play the 110+ games against RHP, and at that point you might as well deal McCann if you're not going to develop him.

Re: Price I heard the Toronto announcers say his 4 seam was maxing out at 94mph which is decent and his 2 seam and cutter was not exceeding high 80s.

That may have been the layoff or something. As far as his asking price, well...is he better than Scherzer?

He's not better than Scherzer. Scherzer is better. There was a question about Scherzer's ability to pitch deep into games, but he has answered that positively for a couple of years now.

Edited by tiger337

Montero would be a good fit, no doubt about it, but it's a luxury that's going to cost $$ and/or prospects, and our assets are limited right now. If you deal Sanchez the money is even there but then you have to sign his replacement and you have to skimp (again) on the BP to do so.

Plus Montero is going to want to play the 110+ games against RHP, and at that point you might as well deal McCann if you're not going to develop him.

It depends on what Chicago wants to do with Schwarber going forward to begin with. They may not even want to part with Montero, they may be happy with Schwarber in the OF. I was just spitballing and it seemed like a hypothetical to solidify at C, add a lefty bat, and maybe move Sanchez. It's probably too far fetched to discuss seriously, but there's no games to ***** about and spending time discussing other topics like football or politics is a waste of time.

David Price will sign an 8 year $239 million deal instead of a $240 million deal. That's about what his performance cost him today.

He's not better than Scherzer. Scherzer is better. There was a question about Scherzer's ability to pitch deep into games, but he has answered that positively for a couple of years now.

Might be true but personally, I think he is a little safer than Scherzer...and counts for a lot when signing pitchers to long term deals. I am not sure you can get any safer than David Price as far as injury as concerned.

I'd stay away from Axford and Papelbon, but I'd take a shot at Storen. He was dominant this year until they screwed him up by trading for Papelbon. An idiotic move. He sort of sucked after that, but I think mentally he was probably reeling a bit. Get him into a new environment during his free agency year and I think we'll like the results. Since he is a pending FA, it shouldn't take TOO much to get him. I think the Nats are stuck with Papelbon.

I actually think Storen is a good bet to be in a Tiger uniform next season. Maybe the most likely guy not currently part of our team that becomes part of our team this offseason.

Might be true but personally, I think he is a little safer than Scherzer...and counts for a lot when signing pitchers to long term deals. I am not sure you can get any safer than David Price as far as injury as concerned.

To be fair, JV seemed like a really safe bet as well when we re-signed him. But I agree. As far as injury risk goes, I'd much rather have Price than Scherzer.

yeah - I'm sure the kinesiology people will tell you Price has a better long term injury outlook, but no one really knows anything for sure. I've never been a big fan of Price's demeanor though. I've said before that he seems like a guy who would just as soon get hit as make any adjustments to what he is doing, and while his playoff results are of course SSS, they also don't don't do anything to change my mind on that impression.

I would have said that a year or two ago. I'm not sure it's true anymore.

To be fair, JV seemed like a really safe bet as well when we re-signed him. But I agree. As far as injury risk goes, I'd much rather have Price than Scherzer.

I am no expert but Verlander's delivery seems more violent than Prices. Still, I agree with your point. I would not have predicted Verlander to have arm problems so quick after he signed his extension. He had an excellent track record. The loss of velocity was more predictable because all pitchers get that and it is disappointing it has taken him so long to adjust. Next year will prove if his adjustments are legit.

yeah - I'm sure the kinesiology people will tell you Price has a better long term injury outlook, but no one really knows anything for sure. I've never been a big fan of Price's demeanor though. I've said before that he seems like a guy who would just as soon get hit as make any adjustments to what he is doing, and while his playoff results are of course SSS, they also don't don't do anything to change my mind on that impression.

I didn't pay much attention to his demeanor before he become a Tiger. I can see why one may get frustrated with his nonchalant approach but as long as I know he wants to be a Tiger and enjoys playing for the franchise, I am okay with it. With Price, I was never sure about that. The alternative is Verlander, who gets so hyped up at times you wonder if it to his detriment. And Verlander pissed me off a few years ago for his role in that Angels brawl. I don't even remember the specifics but I remember I thought he let his emotions get the best of him and unnecessarily beaned a batter intentionally. He is a Tiger though so I support him.

yeah - I'm sure the kinesiology people will tell you Price has a better long term injury outlook, but no one really knows anything for sure.

There is a theory that once a pitcher gets through a certain age without injury, he becomes a safe bet. Scherzer has made it through 7 years without an injury which is quite impressive, so while Price might be considered a smaller injury risk I don't consider Scherzer a particularly risky pitcher.