Yoda

2015 Off-season thread

My organization is supposed to follow good Christian values.

There would be massive protests if my organization ever directed us to follow the values of a particular religion.

Having a unified system of management throughout an organization isn't a "way" it's "something every business to ever exist that didn't suck monstrously did" so I'm not surprised the Tigers haven't always done so

Might that possibly promote resistance to new ideas?

The Tigers have been generally bad at base running and defense for a long time. Maybe this is part of the reason.

When the legendary Earl Weaver ran the Orioles they did this. From the minute you hit the field in rookie ball to the end of your run, you did everything the same way. You ran the same drills in Bluefield that you ran in Rochester then Baltimore , were coached on how to run the bases, how to call Ron Luciano an a-hole...everything.

Pitching, defense and three-run homers...it's the Oriole way.

The OF market is flooded with 4 Tier 1 guys (Heyward, Cespedes, Gordon, Upton) and 6 Tier 2 guys (Fowler, Parra, Ajax, Span, Pearce and Kim) out there. That's not including some decent Tier 3 guys - Venable, Rios, Nava, De Aza, Rajai, Joyce, Murphy, Johnson, and all those DHs

Some guys are going to be scrambling in late January for a deal and that will be the time to swoop in.

Is Heyward considered tier 1 around the league?

Is Heyward considered tier 1 around the league?

Not only is he tier 1, but I suspect he'll get the the most lucrative deal due to his age. His offensive numbers are not exceptional, but he makes up for it by being one of the best defenders in baseball at any position.

I wonder why Heyward has not played CF much? His bat would be a lot better at CF and I'm sure he would still be a plus defender.

When he came up the Braves had a CF in place, and he just became familiar and comfortable in right field.

Might that possibly promote resistance to new ideas?

I meant this in the baseball context of having an overarching goal and system in place. Obviously you want some flexibility and ability to try new things, but I can't imagine any company where every manager just does their own thing. That's kind of the implication I got from the Tigers end. If your goal is to "promote" someone to a role, and they aren't being taught how to do that role...

There would be massive protests if my organization ever directed us to follow the values of a particular religion.

Well, no one has ever actually said a word about it or pushed it, but it's the top line in the company mission statement! I think it's more likely that said statement simply hasn't been updated in 50 years.

Dave Dombrowski and Building a Dominant Bullpen | FanGraphs Baseball

"It’s easy to picture Dombrowski sitting down for the first time in his Fenway Park office, visions of David Ortiz’s grand slam flying just beyond the outstretched glove of Torii Hunter flickering in his brain like an old newsreel. He grabs a napkin out of his pocket and jots down the word “bullpen” over and over until he builds up then pops a blister on his finger. “The most dominant, unimpeachable, and impregnable bullpen yet seen on earth will be mine,” he thinks, “just as soon as I find a band-aid. OW! That smarts.”"

Dombrowski's the guy who married a rich widow and having a blast buying new toys like motorcycles and hot tubs...

Todd Frazier being shopped heavily. I would be tempted to trade for Frazier and see about flipping Castellanos for someone like Ozuna.

Todd Frazier being shopped heavily. I would be tempted to trade for Frazier and see about flipping Castellanos for someone like Ozuna.

What besides Castellanos is required?

What besides Castellanos is required?

For Ozuna? I would say it should be pretty even. Anything added either way would be negligible. Frazier is in the last year of his contract so it shouldn't take an exorbitant amount to get him. If he leaves at the end of the year you at least get a pick.

Lynn G. Henning ‏@Lynn_Henning 16m ago

The previously inviolate 4 p.m. press session with Avila, Ausmus & Co., has been pushed back. No reason provided. Biz could be cooking.

The previously inviolate 4 p.m. press session with Avila, Ausmus & Co., has been pushed back. No reason provided. Biz could be cooking.

We're trading for trout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe Avila had to take a ****.

Not only is he tier 1, but I suspect he'll get the the most lucrative deal due to his age. His offensive numbers are not exceptional, but he makes up for it by being one of the best defenders in baseball at any position.

Some of the contract predictions I've seen for him seem downright reasonable and I think he'll be worth every penny he gets. I'd kill to see him signed by the Tigers, but they rarely make signings like him.

Just saw that the Tigers are allegedly discussing LH reliever Justin Wilson with the Yankees. He was 5-0 last year so he can't be defeated. I guess we should get him. Also will replenish our supply of Wilson with Josh gone. But somebody would have to go off the 40-man, I guess.

Do the yanks need a backup catcher? Holaday ain't great but he's a decent backup. Would need to kick in more than that of course but holaday will have to be moved this offseason so if the Yankees have that spot open he seems like an obvious choice to be included.