Yoda

2015 Off-season thread

Chris Davis has reportedly been offered a $150 million contract from the Orioles. Who would have imagined after being traded for Uehara that he would turn into a $150 million player?

That has "huge mistake" written all over it. I can understand why the O's feel pressure to sign him, because 2 of his last 3 years have been extremely good, if not spectacular.

But Davis will be 30 next year, and I don't fee like he will age well, especially due to his mediocre contact skills.

I've been out of the loop for a bit, but I'm wondering about the possibility of signing Cespedes. As hot as he was after the trade last year, it seems like a no brainer on the surface, but I wonder if his style of play really fits what Ausmus wants to do? I was without FSD for more than a year, so I didn't get to see many games, but it seems to me like Brad wants to play more small ball, which may be one of the reasons our baserunning was so terrible last year. Perhaps better personnel will improve that.

I've been out of the loop for a bit, but I'm wondering about the possibility of signing Cespedes. As hot as he was after the trade last year, it seems like a no brainer on the surface, but I wonder if his style of play really fits what Ausmus wants to do? I was without FSD for more than a year, so I didn't get to see many games, but it seems to me like Brad wants to play more small ball, which may be one of the reasons our baserunning was so terrible last year. Perhaps better personnel will improve that.

They can't afford him. Maybe if Vmart or Miggy go down for the season in the next couple of weeks and they have the insurance money to play with, but otherwise I would be shocked if it happened.

I was referring to his projection. Not what he did last year.
Maybin is projected for a higher woba and a higher war than aoki.

I like projections and I know a lot of work and forecasting go into projections. But I don't think that they are the end all be all.

What were the projections for Maybin and Aoki the past several seasons? Did they line up reasonably with what the actuals ended up being? I would expect Maybin to be in his prime seasons and Aoki on the down slope of his career in terms of actual performance. Yet Aoki has been a higher WAR player than Maybin in each of the past 4 seasons despite being 5 years older than Maybin.

Why in the world can I not find wOBA on baseball reference?

Craig Calcaterra

‏@craigcalcaterra

The Cardinals thought Miller was worth a rental outfielder. The Dbacks think he's worth the franchise. Who do you trust more?

I tend to agree with this. But I think there are two theories at work here.

The Cardinals are in it for the long term. Have been for a while. Field a competitive team consistently year in and year out. Don't get hamstrung by poor contracts (Pujols).

The Diamondbacks are clearly going for broke now.

Personally I prefer the Cardinals, but that's just me.

That has "huge mistake" written all over it. I can understand why the O's feel pressure to sign him, because 2 of his last 3 years have been extremely good, if not spectacular.

But Davis will be 30 next year, and I don't fee like he will age well, especially due to his mediocre contact skills.

\

$150 million? How much will that be per strikeout?

I have heard that concept before with the Tigers but am not sure if it was pre-DD. It may have been. Talked about consistency in instruction so that as guys move up they already have a certain foundation in how they prefer to do things. Could have been the Bo days to be honest. THis is one of those things I would have assumed is done by all organizations..... seems straight forward, in and out of sports.

I have heard that concept before with the Tigers but am not sure if it was pre-DD. It may have been. Talked about consistency in instruction so that as guys move up they already have a certain foundation in how they prefer to do things. Could have been the Bo days to be honest. THis is one of those things I would have assumed is done by all organizations..... seems straight forward, in and out of sports.

I also assumed that most baseball organizations would have something like that in place already. I would guess that Dombrowski had something like that in place too, but that it broke down over time. I think all the trading of prospects (while beneficial in accumulating talent) might not be good for continuity. Why worry about continuity when guys are going to be traded before they reach the majors?

I also assumed that most baseball organizations would have something like that in place already. I would guess that Dombrowski had something like that in place too, but that it broke down over time. I think all the trading of prospects (while beneficial in accumulating talent) might not be good for continuity. Why worry about continuity when guys are going to be traded before they reach the majors?

I always got the impression, whether right or wrong, that Dombrowski had strictly a 'big picture' approach. We've talked before about how he never bothered with any of the smaller 'detail' moves to preserve or build marginal value in the system. With Dave it was always about the big strike. This kind of thing really fits this narrative. In addition, in Jim Leyland, DD had found a manager that thought pretty much the same way about the immateriality of the 'little stuff' - so as 'head coach' of the organization, it easy to see that this is exactly the kind of thing that would have not gotten Leyland's attention in his role as head baseball man of the organization either.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Baseball Prospectus | Pebble Hunting: The [Your Team Name Here] Way Power Rankings

If the Tigers are going cheap in LF, I would take a gamble on Span. His defense has declined in a ac but he may be serviceable in LF.

'Biggio said. “You want to make sure that legacy is continued — continue to play the game the right way, because it’s the only way to play the game.” '

Franchises that have had five or more guys play hard: 30 (including the Astros)

Franchises that have won a World Series: 22 (not including the Astros)

All organizations worth their salt do this. It's just parody material when you are inept.

All organizations worth their salt do this. It's just parody material when you are inept.

My organization doesn't do that as far as I know.

My organization doesn't do that as far as I know.

The bigger ones who are run by mba types

The bigger ones who are run by mba types

I work for a pretty big organization, but it's academic. So, I would imagine they do things different from industry.

My organization is supposed to follow good Christian values. Clearly they're failing miserably as they still employ me.

I'm pretty sure 99% of that stuff is just to prop up the education industry by giving people with meaningless degrees a job where they can spout platitudes. Having a unified system of management throughout an organization isn't a "way" it's "something every business to ever exist that didn't suck monstrously did" so I'm not surprised the Tigers haven't always done so

If the Tigers are going cheap in LF, I would take a gamble on Span. His defense has declined in a ac but he may be serviceable in LF.

The OF market is flooded with 4 Tier 1 guys (Heyward, Cespedes, Gordon, Upton) and 6 Tier 2 guys (Fowler, Parra, Ajax, Span, Pearce and Kim) out there. That's not including some decent Tier 3 guys - Venable, Rios, Nava, De Aza, Rajai, Joyce, Murphy, Johnson, and all those DHs

Some guys are going to be scrambling in late January for a deal and that will be the time to swoop in.

My organization is supposed to follow good Christian values. Clearly they're failing miserably as they still employ me.

I'm pretty sure 99% of that stuff is just to prop up the education industry by giving people with meaningless degrees a job where they can spout platitudes. Having a unified system of management throughout an organization isn't a "way" it's "something every business to ever exist that didn't suck monstrously did" so I'm not surprised the Tigers haven't always done so

there is much truth to this.