Yoda

2015 Off-season thread

Lowe was excellent last year. I'm not sure I like him as a setup man because he hasn't had sustained success in his career, but it's a good arm to add to the staff.

Lowe was excellent last year. I'm not sure I like him as a setup man because he hasn't had sustained success in his career, but it's a good arm to add to the staff.

If he repeats what he did last year. He seems to have had an up and down career. Is Crasnick just guessing he's a set up man? Lowe would be a nice replacement for Albuquerque.

Lowe and Salty makes me pretty happy. Not Earth shattering moves obviously, but they both are perfect fits for needs we had.

Now just trade for Andrew Miller and sign Jason Heyward and the offseason is over.

He sure was excellent last year and he's sure been hit and miss. A 2-year deal makes perfect sense in that case. Fangraphs crowdsourcing predicted 2/$8M, Dave Cameron 2/$12M. I'll guess 2/$11M.

Very large velocity increase, and plenty of swings and misses. Similar 2015 to Madson I would say.

AA>DD

Small sample size but so much activity in so short a time is very different from the past. Hope it translates into wins.

Lowe and Salty makes me pretty happy. Not Earth shattering moves obviously, but they both are perfect fits for needs we had.

Now just trade for Andrew Miller and sign Jason Heyward and the offseason is over.

I would prefer Miller & Heyward... but:

Bastardo and Fowler...

He sure was excellent last year and he's sure been hit and miss. A 2-year deal makes perfect sense in that case. Fangraphs crowdsourcing predicted 2/$8M, Dave Cameron 2/$12M. I'll guess 2/$11M.

Very large velocity increase, and plenty of swings and misses. Similar 2015 to Madson I would say.

yeah, I was just looking at that too. I also noticed he is using his slider a lot more now, but his success last year seemed to come from his fastball.

yeah, I was just looking at that too. I also noticed he is using his slider a lot more now, but his success last year seemed to come from his fastball.

Yeah, he ditched the changeup and found a new grip on thh slider. 10% whiff on the FB 20% on the slider both seem like very good numbers.

With Dave it seems like it was all or nothing. It was the equivalent of sinking the Spanish Armada or invading Granada. With Al, you're defeating Rommel and cutting Japanese supply lines. Not as sexy as defeating Spain, but doing the basic stuff to win the war.

I know it's a pipe dream, but go get Heyward. He's one of the few guys who will be worth the money he gets and still has potential to improve.

Does Lowe make 39 or 40 on the roster?

6 new arms in the org just since the deadline last season. There's hardly going to be enough innings in ST to sort everybody out.

AA>DD

Small sample size but so much activity in so short a time is very different from the past. Hope it translates into wins.

also - did anyone think the Tigers would get this far with Machado and Iglesias both still in the system? We have been pretty much conditioned to think anyone above AA with a pulse was either going to get traded or given a starting job. So far exactly one minor leaguer moved - an A ball middle reliever. Granted a lot of that has to be because there isn't much there, but still....

Does Lowe make 39 or 40 on the roster?

6 new arms in the org just since the deadline last season. There's hardly going to be enough innings in ST to sort everybody out.

Pelfrey would be 38, Salty 39, Lowe 40 if it happens. Rule 5 is Thursday, I wonder if they wait to make things official on all of those in case they want to take part.

also - did anyone think the Tigers would get this far with Machado and Iglesias both still in the system? We have been pretty much conditioned to think anyone above AA with a pulse was either going to get traded or given a starting job. So far exactly one minor leaguer moved - an A ball middle reliever. Granted a lot of that has to be because there isn't much there, but still....

The off season isn't over yet...............

Does this make Rondon trade bait or do we tuck him away in AAA

I can't imagine he has much trade value right now. Might as well build him up before trying to trade him.

I can't imagine he has much trade value right now. Might as well build him up before trying to trade him.

If you succeed in 'building him up' maybe you don't want to trade him. That said, I think Rondon could end up a case where the arm is just a lot better than the stuff. A guy like that maybe you can sell high on if you handle him right.