Yoda

2015 Off-season thread

Might as well fire this guy up.

So much to do. This should be a lot of fun.

Who are the locks? Given the situation, the new GM, etc., especially if they end up selling the team, this might be as close to no locks as we've had in over 10 years. I almost wouldn't be surprised to see him pull a crazy deal that sends Cabrera off. Highly unlikely, but I wouldn't be shocked. Anyone could go at any time, IMO. I'm going to say there are zero locks.

Actually, the young, cheap guys like McCann, Wilson, Hardy, etc. probably aren't going anywhere. I don't see the point in that.

I'm the opposite--I see them filling some holes, likely through free agency.

Needs are #2 and #4 starting pitchers. Set up and closer for the pen and a LF.

McCann

Holladay

Cabrera

Kinsler

Iglesias

Romine

Castellanos

JD Martinez

Gose

Collins

LF-TBD

Verlander

TBD

Sanchez

TBD

Norris

Albuquerque

Verhagen

Hardy

Wilson

TBD

TBD

If the catching next season is McCann and Holiday I predict an offensive fail. McCann's bat has looked better than I believe it is. His OBP has been under 300 4 out of 6 months of the season. Holiday is an offensive black hole.

If the catching next season is McCann and Holiday I predict an offensive fail. McCann's bat has looked better than I believe it is. His OBP has been under 300 4 out of 6 months of the season. Holiday is an offensive black hole.

If they don't re-sign Alex, then it almost will surely be McCann/Holaday. Holaday is out of options. Both are good to very good defensively.

Two starters I would go after would be Pelfrey and Leake. Both solid starters and pretty dependable. I wouldn't mind signing O'Day to be the closer. I like the way that Houston built their bullpen.

Again cabrera has a full no trade. He has said he doesnt want to go anywhere else and he is too valuable on and off the field to send anywhere else.

There seems to be conflicting notions of Castellanos' projected value. Is there any observer out there who thinks he'll be a good enough 3B? His offensive skills are getting better and better.

Trading Cabrera would likely be a move to get prospects. I don't see that happening--Avila will be looking to plug holes with proven talent. If we had any depth in the minors at 2B, Kinsler is the guy I could see traded for pitching, but we'd just be creating another problem.

Again cabrera has a full no trade. He has said he doesnt want to go anywhere else and he is too valuable on and off the field to send anywhere else.

Plenty of players have waived their clauses after saying they wouldn't.

Trading Cabrera would likely be a move to get prospects. I don't see that happening--Avila will be looking to plug holes with proven talent. If we had any depth in the minors at 2B, Kinsler is the guy I could see traded for pitching, but we'd just be creating another problem.

Not necessarily. Look what they did at the trade deadline. You can get "prospects" that are ready to contribute now.

Keep in mind, I don't think they're going to trade him. I'm just not willing to concede that it's impossible. Anything can happen this offseason. Al will want to build his own team. Not all of it, but I don't think he'll simply be plugging a few gaps either.

They aren't going to be able fill all of their holes via free agency. They are going to have to get a little creative and move Iglesias or some of the young pitchers they have.

At this point they are either all in or retooling, at which point moving Cabrera might make sense.

There seems to be conflicting notions of Castellanos' projected value. Is there any observer out there who thinks he'll be a good enough 3B? His offensive skills are getting better and better.

He's still a liability defensively, and he may have peaked this year as far as he'll go defensively, but he did make a pretty big improvement from last year. His DRS went from -30 to -9. OOZ plays went from 30 to 49. Even the dreaded fld% went from .950 to .971. Pretty much every measure improved quite a bit. Again I don't know if this is his max or if he'll keep improving but it's hard to not be somewhat optimistic that he'll improve. I think he'll be above-average offensively going forward and if he can get close to average defensively, we have a solid player. I'd like them to hang on to him just to see what he can do but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't see defensive improvement coming and decide to cut ties. We'll see.

He's still a liability defensively, and he may have peaked this year as far as he'll go defensively, but he did make a pretty big improvement from last year. His DRS went from -30 to -9. OOZ plays went from 30 to 49. Even the dreaded fld% went from .950 to .971. Pretty much every measure improved quite a bit. Again I don't know if this is his max or if he'll keep improving but it's hard to not be somewhat optimistic that he'll improve. I think he'll be above-average offensively going forward and if he can get close to average defensively, we have a solid player. I'd like them to hang on to him just to see what he can do but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't see defensive improvement coming and decide to cut ties. We'll see.

Visquel said that Nick got sloppy for several weeks in the summer and then started getting back to doing the things he had been taught in the off season. So if he just develops some more consistency/discipline that gives him some additional room to improve. He is also going back for a session with the guy he worked with last off season.

After slumping badly in May, his last 400 PA have been at over 750 OPS but he's going to end the season with a pretty terrible platoon split. His project at the plate for next season has to be standing in better against RHP. Another plus is that he has been 'clutch' for us this year, with a 897 OPS with RISP.

Considering what a weakness 3b has been for the Tig other than one good year by Inge and 2 when Cabrera played over there, Nick is at least holding the spot down and still has upside, and he is cheap and controlled, so it's not a spot on the roster that would be a big priority to me.

Picking which players to be patient with and which to cut bait on because they have peaked is certainly one of the prime talents for a GM so a 'we'll see' is for sure the operative take.

Edited by Gehringer_2

So many holes on the roster, I am not sure how they go about doing it. I hope they go all in and try to make another run with Cabrera, JV, Victor, Kinsler, etc. But who knows at this point. DD is probably glad he got the boot.

I refuse to post in this thread while games are still being played!

wait....

A couple of warning signs for players going into next year, that I'll just throw out there:

James McCann:

VS RHP: .248 .278 .333

Post ASB: .251 .276 .348

Nick Castellanos:

VS RHP: .229 .276 .377

Post ASB: .270 .323 .477

Dramatic improvement Post ASB, but he has also struck out 73 times in 241 at bats.

Jose Iglesias:

VS RHP: .284 .320 .341

Post ASB: .280 .318 .366

Basically, I would like to sign a LHB Left Fielder and I wouldn't be too confident that the offense will be fine without any changes.

Nick Castellanos:

Dramatic improvement Post ASB, but he has also struck out 73 times in 241 at bats.

funny thing with Nick is that it does look like he got out of his slump when he went back to swinging the bat a little more. This year may have been too soon for him to worry about his swings and misses more than just seeing the ball and getting the bat on it. His O contact is up slightly but FG doesn't break it down by month so can't tell how that aligns (or not) with his K rate

I am also worried about McCann's bat not holding up. I've posted previously that Alex's OPS was more than 100 pts better than McCanns post Aug1. Granted he didn't play a lot, but just sayin'

Edited by Gehringer_2

Not necessarily. Look what they did at the trade deadline. You can get "prospects" that are ready to contribute now.

And look at how that worked out for Dombrowski. At 85, I don't see Ilitch signing off on a rebuild. This is a retooling, which means it will likely be fueled via free agency.

And look at how that worked out for Dombrowski. At 85, I don't see Ilitch signing off on a rebuild. This is a retooling, which means it will likely be fueled via free agency.

Using free agency is fine. If you spend money you don't have to spend young players.

I don't see many good starting pitchers available via trade--James Shields is an exception.

I'd like to target Zimmerman and Leake for the rotation. While I've been a fan of Denard Span's skills and fit on our team, I don't trust his ability to stay healthy anymore. Will need to look elsewhere, most likely. It's disappointing that neither Collins nor Moyà distinguished themselves this year.

Moya and Collins should spend 2016 at Toledo. With Green, Ficociello, and Jones moving up from Erie the Hens will have some pop next year.

I would trade Iglesias...he's brittle physically and possibly emtionally and I really don't want anyone on my team that dresses like a 15 year-old HS kid from Woodland Hills.

Verlander, Sanchez until he gets hurt then Fulmer, Norris, FA, and yeah...Simon (if he'll take a 1-2 year deal). Krol (you're pitching an inning Ian, throw anything other than a fastball or a slider and I shank you), Boyd, Hardy, Wilson, FA (Soria?) , FA, FA, FA.

Jeez..our staff is a mess.

LF, 1/5 of a rotation and half a bullpen....then we can address the bench

I would like to see what a Bernard/Gose platoon looks like in CF

What do you mean look how it worked out? It worked out great. Without the injury Norris' production wouldn't have been that far off from Price. Not enough to have resulted in more than 1 loss or so. And they freed a ton of money by doing so. Win/win. You lost me here.

Moya and Collins should spend 2016 at Toledo. With Green, Ficociello, and Jones moving up from Erie the Hens will have some pop next year.

I would trade Iglesias...he's brittle physically and possibly emtionally and I really don't want anyone on my team that dresses like a 15 year-old HS kid from Woodland Hills.

Verlander, Sanchez until he gets hurt then Fulmer, Norris, FA, and yeah...Simon (if he'll take a 1-2 year deal). Krol (you're pitching an inning Ian, throw anything other than a fastball or a slider and I shank you), Boyd, Hardy, Wilson, FA (Soria?) , FA, FA, FA.

Jeez..our staff is a mess.

LF, 1/5 of a rotation and half a bullpen....then we can address the bench

I would like to see what a Bernard/Gose platoon looks like in CF

There's nothing left for Collins to learn. He is what he is at this point. As the left-handed part of a platoon, he'd be good.

Plenty of players have waived their clauses after saying they wouldn't.

\

And how many have $250 million extension kicking in next year?

I don't think Collins will learn anything at Toledo. I don't wnt to platoon CF and LF. I'd rather sign a guy like Heyward who can play every day and then find a 5th OF with the versatility to play some IF. I'd prefer sending Marte to winter ball to try to play LF over platooning Collins.

With unlimited $$$ I'd sign Zobrist and Heyward and then try to figure out how to find AB's for both...

Edited by Shinzaki