Moonlight Graham

Tiger Batting Champions

10 posts in this topic

The other night I counted how many Tigers have won batting titles. I counted 11 with one of the 11 being traded mid-season. Without looking up the answer, how many can you name?

Cobb, Heilmann, Kaline, Kuenn, Cash, Cabrera...I'm pretty comfortable with those. Gehringer? That's kind of embarrassing, I should know that, yes or no. Heinie Manush? Geez I suck. Oh wait, Ordonez?

Cobb, Heilmann, Kaline, Kuenn, Cash, Cabrera...I'm pretty comfortable with those. Gehringer? That's kind of embarrassing, I should know that, yes or no. Heinie Manush? Geez I suck. Oh wait, Ordonez?

Only one that I hadn't heard of at all, but I only came up with 7 without looking. I got one you didn't but missed Manush - which I shouldn't have since my Dad loved to mention his name.

I too am only confident with the 5 dating back to Kaline, plus Cobb - Miggy, Ordonez, Cash, Kuehn, Kaline and Cobb.

Other possibilities could be Goslin, Crawford, York, Greenberg, Heilmann, Gehringer, Kell........now I gotta look it up. Probably some less common guy like Ferris Fain or Bobby Avila. I'm surprised that I'm only sure of six.

I know Polanco didn't win because Ordonez did. Did Trammell win in 87? Outside of possibly Trammell in 87, I think you have to go way back between Ordonez and the previous one. Just to be clear, is this 11 different players or 11 times a player won?

I would imagine Greenberg got one, but it is hard to say back then when you had multiple guys hitting close to .400.

Of the ones listed he is the only other one in my wheel house.

No tram didn't win. Boggs hit like .360.

Boggs was a hitting machine. Out of ALL the baseball cards I used to collect I recall seeing his more than any other because of the averages that were bolded on the back. Mainly because when I was collecting he was at his peak and the back of his card was just filled with monster averages.

In 1987 Trammell finished third in the AL batting average race at .343.  Boggs hit .363 and Paul Molitor hit .353.