hail2mich

GDT: #22 Michigan at Maryland 10/3/2015

I'm not confident M will even score a point against NW let alone beat MSU. That is not a good O, it's not even a make-do O, it's a bad O.

Agreed, and Michigan State just needed a 4th down stop (where they probably got away with PI) to beat Purdue at home

It's two teams with a lot of problems facing each other

Agreed, and Michigan State just needed a 4th down stop (where they probably got away with PI) to beat Purdue at home

It's two teams with a lot of problems facing each other

Yup.

And not that I am complaining. You can see the M program under Harbaugh has already made huge strides. I'm just not ready to anoint them a top 10 team yet.

The offense will be ready for NW, just like they were for BYU. Harbaugh and CO. really dumb down the offense and do not show much unless they have too.

I think you are giving way to much credit to NW, who barely beat Ball State a few weeks ago. Their offense will also struggle against UM's defense. Big game for sure, but they are beatable.

Exactly this. NW also struggled against ACC stalwart Duke, beating them 19-10.

NW isn't a team to be taken lightly, but they may be in for a rude awakening if they think they dominate the LOS against Michigan. The wild card here is how the linebackers will be used and how often Peppers is put into the box. Michgan's 2-deep across the DL stacks up quite well to NW's OL. Jenkins-Stone is fine replacing Mario.

Smith racked up 121 yards on 18 carries last year, we'll see how healthy he is this week. Any of Smith, Johnson, Green or Isaac are capable of putting up a similar number. But with Isaac possibly in the dog house and Smith maybe getting a light load, it sets Johnson/Green up for an increased load. Houma vs the NW linebackers will be a key battle.

Once NW has to pass, good luck to them. Conversely, I feel pretty good about our TE and WR matching up against their 2 and 3* talent in the secondary.

I'm not confident M will even score a point against NW let alone beat MSU. That is not a good O, it's not even a make-do O, it's a bad O.

I do see them as a make-do offense. Rudock, between turnovers, poor throws and missing open receivers, consistently hurts their production. On the other hand, they have shown the ability to spot or create openings for themselves based on the defense they are up against.

I haven't seen Northwestern play this season but it sure looks like their defense will be tough. State has not been impressive though, at least Number 2 in the country impressive. I am confident Michigan will find opportunities, I am not confident that Rudock will execute though.

FWIIW, Rudock lead Iowa to a 48-7 win vs NW last year--12/19, 239 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT. Maybe the staff can use something from that game film to elevate his performance on Saturday?

An article in one of the MI papers stated that MD came out in a D that UM hadn't seen them play before and hadn't game planned for in advance. Adjustments at half took care of the issue, thus the slow start for the offense.

An article in one of the MI papers stated that MD came out in a D that UM hadn't seen them play before and hadn't game planned for in advance. Adjustments at half took care of the issue, thus the slow start for the offense.

Which again points to good coaching

My impression of both Michigan and Northwestern is that they're very good defensive teams with questionable offenses, so I'd expect a tight low scoring game, in which Rudock avoiding turnovers will be key.

Naturally it will actually turn out 56-49

I'm glad UM gets a solid test in NW before the MSU game. I would imagine they will stack the box against the run & force Rudock to beat them. Really hoping this will be the game where Rudock starts hitting the open receivers deep. A guy can dream.

It was not anything MD was doing that was preventing Rudock from throwing the ball accurately.

BTW, I'm not even saying I think Rudock can't play better, as I think he has shown that he can, but some combination of better throws and more open receivers has to start happening regularly if this is to end up a top 10 team.

Edited by Gehringer_2

I too am worried about the offense, but given the conditions and what appears to be the "Harbaugh poker trick" where he seems to always be hiding a trick here and there on offense for future games, I think overall that Michigan should be ready for NW. These next two games could really catapult Michigan to a January bowl game, and a shot at a B1G championship game if both MSU and OSU continue to struggle. I still wouldn't bet on a Michigan win in either of those games, but I could see a game that lasts well into the 4th quarter, with a chance for a big upset. Especially with the defense playing so well.

I will admit they almost seemed to be going away from worked to keep trying other stuff yesterday, and yes - they have played a couple games where throwing conditions were not great. But they must get better at stretching the field to be able to run successfully against better Ds, and I'm not seeing any sign of progress in that direction at all. Rudock has neither touch nor accuracy on longer throws, and we only have one receiver that has shown any ability to get open running down field.

Sooner or later even the best D is going to have a breakdown or have a couple of bounces or calls go against them and they are going to need more from the O.

I agree. I guess it's just nice to have complete trust in the coaching staff for once. I Think they have things planned we haven't witnessed yet. They stay pretty basic because they know Rudock is just a game manager, but they still take some deep shots to keep the defense honest, as well as putting some wrinkles in (screen passes, jet sweeps, counters, etc). So I guess I am just not as worried about it. Especially after watching the next two opponents offenses, and imagining them going against M's defense. Throw in the fact the games are at home and I am pumped.

I too am worried about the offense, but given the conditions and what appears to be the "Harbaugh poker trick" where he seems to always be hiding a trick here and there on offense for future games, I think overall that Michigan should be ready for NW. These next two games could really catapult Michigan to a January bowl game, and a shot at a B1G championship game if both MSU and OSU continue to struggle. I still wouldn't bet on a Michigan win in either of those games, but I could see a game that lasts well into the 4th quarter, with a chance for a big upset. Especially with the defense playing so well.

Can I ask, what has MSU shown you that would have you betting they are better than UM? Or is it just lack of confidence in UM? UM is flawed offensively but makes up for it with a great coaching staff, solid special teams, and a ferocious defense. I don't think msu is impressive in any area. Cook is really struggling. Their OL has some injuries, and several MAC schools and Purdue, moved up and down the field on their defense. But I could be wrong.

Not to go too far off topic, but because Michigan was on the road this weekend my son got to play at the Big House today and his sisters got to cheer there too.

He's #40 playing right end

266ff6894f8b3586123dc31f9327dbb7.jpg

My daughters are the girls on each end

251b11bcae896899a1d3726b7ee7f450.jpg

When I was that age I got to play basketball at the community college stadium and thought it was cool, that has to be an awesome memory.

And yeah, given the past histories of the teams I have a hard time getting super optimistic, but MSU has the #77 ranked defense despite having played nobody (unless you count Oregon I guess....) and an offense decimated by injuries. I would consider Michigan the home favorite at this time.

I'd say I'm now thinking Northwestern and MSU are toss ups, Ohio State is still a probable loss, and they should win every other game. But it's hard to feel very sure about anything with a new coaching staff and having not really played anyone yet either, besides the opening loss.

Not to go too far off topic, but because Michigan was on the road this weekend my son got to play at the Big House today and his sisters got to cheer there too.

What a great experience for them.

Dave Brandon says, "What a memory, each kid now owes me $18,000."

All three were excited and had a blast. It was such a cool experience for all the kids.

Believe it or not, concession prices were the same for this game as a Michigan game.

Ojemudia out for the season with an Achilles' tendon injury (I haven't seen it described as a tear or rupture as they usually are, so maybe it's not as bad as it could have been).

Ojemudia out for the season with an Achilles' tendon injury (I haven't seen it described as a tear or rupture as they usually are, so maybe it's not as bad as it could have been).

Tough loss. I thought he was playing well and depth is a question at his position. Also tough way to end his college career.

FWIW a physical therapist friend who watched him go off said it didn't look like a full rupture just judging by the way he was holding it as he limped off. Apparently his toes would have been dangling more.

I am not worried one bit about the offense versus NW. I think JH and co. know EXACTLY what they want to do for each game, and the plan for Maryland is definitely not the plan for NW and MSU.

Expect offensive creativity and execution much more like the BYU game and less like UNLV, Oregon State and Maryland, with a little sprinkling of things we've never seen.

Michigan 24

Northwestern 10

I am not worried one bit about the offense versus NW. I think JH and co. know EXACTLY what they want to do for each game, and the plan for Maryland is definitely not the plan for NW and MSU.

Expect offensive creativity and execution much more like the BYU game and less like UNLV, Oregon State and Maryland, with a little sprinkling of things we've never seen.

Michigan 24

Northwestern 10

Well said.

Feels good to know the coaching staff actually knows what they are doing. So much fun to watch in game adjustments too.