Shinma

10/5/15. Lions at Seahawks. Monday Night. ESPN, 8:30pm.

I said it in the other thread, the 2014 and 15 drafts will make or break this team.

Ebron will probably go down as a miss on some level no matter what he does, due to who went behind him and thus what his expectations were. He isn't looking like a compete bust either for perspective's sake though. He's on pace for 60 catches, 720 yards and 8 TDs in his second season. We wanted Jimmy Graham, looks like we may have gotten something like a Greg Olsen or maybe Travis Kelce. Mayhew failed to hit the HR with that pick, but its still reasonably likely that he extracted average value out of the 10th pick in the 1st round. Here are the last 10 non Ebron #10 picks

GOod ole Mike Williams

Matt Leinart

Amobi Okoye

Jerod Mayo

Michael Crabtree

Tyson Alualu

Blaine Gabbert

Stephon Gilmore

Chance Warmack

Todd Gurley

Now, getting nothing from Van Noy,Lawson and Webster with Swanson not looking good either? That'll crush you.

I said it in the other thread, the 2014 and 15 drafts will make or break this team.

Ebron will probably go down as a miss on some level no matter what he does, due to who went behind him and thus what his expectations were. He isn't looking like a compete bust either for perspective's sake though. He's on pace for 60 catches, 720 yards and 8 TDs in his second season. We wanted Jimmy Graham, looks like we may have gotten something like a Greg Olsen or maybe Travis Kelce. Mayhew failed to hit the HR with that pick, but its still reasonably likely that he extracted average value out of the 10th pick in the 1st round. Here are the last 10 non Ebron #10 picks

GOod ole Mike Williams

Matt Leinart

Amobi Okoye

Jerod Mayo

Michael Crabtree

Tyson Alualu

Blaine Gabbert

Stephon Gilmore

Chance Warmack

Todd Gurley

Now, getting nothing from Van Noy,Lawson and Webster with Swanson not looking good either? That'll crush you.

I think you're really overrating Ebron here. Remember that Brandon Pettigrew used to rack up a good amount of catches despite being one of the worst TEs in the NFL as well. He can't block, he has a lot of drops, he's been one of the worst TEs in the league so far in his career.

I certainly will admit that he's still very young and does seem to have some good physical tools, but his complete inability to block still scares me. If you make him a WR those physical tools suddenly look less amazing and he's just another guy with crappy hands.

Stafford has been bad this year....them could win with the roster they've been given.

Great post.

IMHO, this is how I would rank the offensive problems:

1. Lombardi - Is it me or does it seem like the Lions don't want to throw a pass longer than 5 yards?

2. Offensive line - Pretty easy to see that they have been flat out pathetic.

3. Stafford - If 1 and 2 get better, he will improve

Great post.

1. Lombardi - Is it me or does it seem like the Lions don't want to throw a pass longer than 5 yards?

Although the defense played well against Seattle (which also has a horrible O line), they did give up a thousand points in the first game when we were up 21-0. And they've been uninspiring in the other games, too.

I think the D goes on your list above Stafford, who is hamstrung by this ridiculous, predictable play calling. Jesus, even the announcers were calling plays before they happened!

As you said fix the O line and play calling and Stafford gets better.

Great post.

I'd say that 1 is by far the biggest problem. I hate scapegoating coaches but when announcers like Gruden who thinks everybody is great is criticizing the Lions playcalling calling them predictable along with Michaels and Collinsworth who were rendered speechless the week before, it's pretty telling that the offensive playcalling is a HUGE issue.

Stafford should obviously own some of the blame and the offensive line of course, but the playcalling is clearly stifling the offense.

Just look at the last drive or any 4th quarter last season when the shackles were taken off of Stafford. Just like Tate said "Why can't Stafford always play the way he does in the 4th quarter?". Well Golden, you should ask your offensive coordinator why that's the case. #freestafford

Stafford has his issues, but its quite clear that he's less effective in Lombardi's system. That last drive in Seattle was impressive though.

I think you're really overrating Ebron here. Remember that Brandon Pettigrew used to rack up a good amount of catches despite being one of the worst TEs in the NFL as well. He can't block, he has a lot of drops, he's been one of the worst TEs in the league so far in his career.

I certainly will admit that he's still very young and does seem to have some good physical tools, but his complete inability to block still scares me. If you make him a WR those physical tools suddenly look less amazing and he's just another guy with crappy hands.

Pettigrew was effective early on and we miss his blocking IMO. That's another issue though.

I think Ebron has shown some life and looks like he has the potential to be the kind of player I mentioned above. He's not there yet.

Stafford has his issues, but its quite clear that he's less effective in Lombardi's system. That last drive in Seattle was impressive though.

Weird what happens when Stafford is going out of the gun and they are revving up the temp. The rest of the game they are trying to establish the run, which is a farce.

Coaches are getting it twisted in this era. You establish the passing game first, then you hit them with the run when they are pass coverage happy. The Lions like to wait til the other teams stack the box to call a run play, which most often goes for zero or negative yards.

lol, so you say one poster is overrating Ebron and then you call him the worst TE in the league. Ebrons number have been very serviceable this year. And it's clear the coaches have not properly taught him the blocking schemes.

Everything in football comes down to coaching and quarterbacks, little else.

lol, so you say one poster is overrating Ebron and then you call him the worst TE in the league. Ebrons number have been very serviceable this year. And it's clear the coaches have not properly taught him the blocking schemes.

Everything in football comes down to coaching and quarterbacks, little else.

I call him that because he is. Does it really need the caveat of 'among starters'? If so, he is. I'd love to hear an argument that he's not one of the worst starting tight ends in the league though, which Pettigrew also has been for years in large part due to his horrendous blocking.

Pettigrew is a great example of people assuming someone is good at one thing just because they're so bad at another. "He doesn't catch any passes but he still plays all the time, so he must be a great blocker!"

Ebron was totally worthless last year and so far this year he's an average at best receiving option and a completely abysmal blocker. If that doesn't make him one of the worst starting tight ends in the league, I don't know what does.

I work weird hours and record a lot of these games to watch them when I get home. In the Seattle game I saw, only for a couple seconds, a man who gave me something (as a Lions fan) that will never be taken away from me. With 5:55 to go in the fourth, the camera finds some fans in the stands with a Legion of Boom banner. I had to rewind the game and pause it to see if my eyes had deceived me. Standing next to them, calm and casual, is a pasty dude wearing a Honolulu blue t-shirt that says, "If being a Detroit fan was easy it would be called YOUR MOM". This man is my new hero and seeing him reminded me that, before everything went all Lions, things would likely do so and that I should embrace the soul crushing manner of defeat we were about to face. The Lions (and refs, we find out) delivered. Best moment of the game. I'm looking at that guy, paused on my screen, and smiling about that game. Awesome.

Ebron was on pace for 8 TDs, 60 rec and 720 yards receiving before his injury. That easily places him in the top 10 for tight end production in the entire NFL. This is as a second year pro playing on a team who can't stay on the field offensively.

You're free to rail against Ebron and his blocking, but his production has not been an issue this season.

So I haven't really watched the replay of the end of the game until seeing it again today.

While the defender admitted he batted the ball, in real time it's not exactly obvious. It could be interpreted as him reaching for it. I suppose it's possible that the ref truly believed it was not an overt act.

So I haven't really watched the replay of the end of the game until seeing it again today.

While the defender admitted he batted the ball, in real time it's not exactly obvious. It could be interpreted as him reaching for it. I suppose it's possible that the ref truly believed it was not an overt act.

LMAO, just stop.

Ebron was on pace for 8 TDs, 60 rec and 720 yards receiving before his injury. That easily places him in the top 10 for tight end production in the entire NFL. This is as a second year pro playing on a team who can't stay on the field offensively.

You're free to rail against Ebron and his blocking, but his production has not been an issue this season.

Ok, so he's a league average or so receiver on a team with Calvin Johnson and Golden Tate and he can't block.

A real fun stat is that he has as many targets on the season as Jimmy Graham despite having missed half a game injured and being on an offense that can't stay on the field. The Seahawks OC may well be Lombardiesque