Sydney_Fife

'15/'16 Pistons Training Camp/Preseason

Just drop the preseason games down to 4. At this point you are just hoping no one gets injured. real hoops start in a week.

Has anyone seen any of the actual game play? I am actually really excited to get back into basketball this year. I think we have a pretty good shot at being good.

It will be interesting to see how SVG uses the last two exhibition games. There are old and new questions that SVG, I would imagine, is still searching for an answer to.

--Will Stanimal be the starting SF, moving Ersan to the bench sliding Morris over to start at PF?

--Is bringing Stanimal off the bench beneficial to the production of both point guards, and ultimately, the team as a whole?

--Is Dinwiddie showing enough improvement to be the 16-20 MIN backup? Turnovers are still unacceptably high, but can that help when he is paired with Stanimal?

--Is Bullock the best shooting wing option on the team? Is Dinwiddie/Meeks/Bullock/Johnson/Baynes, a small ball lineup with some real potential?

--Is the KCP we saw in the first game the real KCP?

--Is Blake just going to retire? Is that the only way Hilliard doesn't go to GR to start the year?

--Can Jackson really be a 40% 3pt shooter all year? Will Jackson continue to do worse that 2:1 A/TO?

--Will Drummond continue to avoid contact on offense to avoid shooting FT? He has not gone to the line, at all, in three of the five games . . .and went just one time in one of the other games. His FG% is suffering because of this.

I'm looking forward to seeing how all of this plays out.

Has anyone seen any of the actual game play? I am actually really excited to get back into basketball this year. I think we have a pretty good shot at being good.

I saw them play the bulls live and in person!

Hard to tell anything from a preseason game other than reggie jackson cant shoot and loves to dribble. And drummond's baby hook looked solid. And stanley looks nba ready even if his shot is ugly (and i like the way he shakes each refs hand before the tip).

Is Blake just going to retire? Is that the only way Hilliard doesn't go to GR to start the year?

Blake is expected back this week. He's not going anywhere, especially with Dinwiddie's less than stellar play in summer league and preseason. The reliable and predictable veteran PG will likely hold down that spot until Jennings is back.

Blake is expected back this week. He's not going anywhere, especially with Dinwiddie's less than stellar play in summer league and preseason. The reliable and predictable veteran PG will likely hold down that spot until Jennings is back.

This was the plan, it seemed, when Blake was acquired. We'll see what he has left if and when he does indeed return.

What happens when Jennings comes back--given that he doesn't have a setback--and his shooting numbers dip because he can't get his shot off like he used to? On average, a player coming back from a complete Achilles tear will shoot 5% worse than he did before the injury. So there's that to consider . . .

Jesus please don't add any more regular season games....

Eliminate divisions. Add 4 regular season games. 86 games- 4 each against each conference opponent. 2 each against the other conference teams.

A lot better than the current system.

Like I said, just no desire to add games, AND travel.

You're already doing it though. Just make half of them actually count.

THey don't count and scrubs play though

That adds to my point though, honestly. I hate these exhibition games. They're painful to watch. No reason to have 8.

They're meaningless games.

KCP got dinged in the first half and guess who started the second half? Bullock! He was a nice find and I hope he gets some playing time this year. He's looked better than Meeks in my opinion, who still can't seem to find his shot.

Charlotte turned up the defense in the 4th and we just couldn't hit a shot with the team on the court (Jackson, Drummond, Meeks, Tolliver, and Johnson). We had numerous chances at the end but open shots by Meeks and others were simply bricks.

Morris and Ersan started the game. Based upon reports that SVG expected to have his starting lineup set before these last two games, I think you can expect them to be your regular season starters.

That adds to my point though, honestly. I hate these exhibition games. They're painful to watch. No reason to have 8.

They're meaningless games.

Just saying, the main players play too many games and minutes already. We'd just end up seeing more injuries and guys being rested and scrubs playing in meaningful games. Find a way to do a similar proposal with 4 less preseason games and 4-8 less regular season games and we're talkin'.

More on Bullock:

Bullock, roster spot all but clinched, could be in line for even bigger Pistons role | Detroit Pistons

Here's an article on the starting lineup:

Pistons

Even though Ersan and Morris will start over Johnson all three will get about the same number of minutes. I think that's a pretty ideal situation. Stanley can be more aggressive as a 6th man and he'll have plenty of opportunities to be the one that finishes the game if he plays well.

I think the real lineup questions are now around the backup SG and PG minutes. Bullock has clearly outplayed Meeks and hopefully he'll continue to get minutes. He could turn out to be the real steal of that trade, especially if KCP continues his inconsistent play. If this isn't all smoke and mirrors and Bullock is the 3 and D players he appears to be, I could see him cutting into both of their time.

As for the backup PG, SVG has said that Blake will return and play 20-25 minutes Friday night. Hopefully he doesn't look too lost after missing so much time because I really think we're going to need to rely on him for those 18 minutes a night when Reggie is resting. Dinwiddie just isn't ready.

More on Bullock:

Bullock, roster spot all but clinched, could be in line for even bigger Pistons role | Detroit Pistons

Here's an article on the starting lineup:

Pistons

Even though Ersan and Morris will start over Johnson all three will get about the same number of minutes. I think that's a pretty ideal situation. Stanley can be more aggressive as a 6th man and he'll have plenty of opportunities to be the one that finishes the game if he plays well.

I think the real lineup questions are now around the backup SG and PG minutes. Bullock has clearly outplayed Meeks and hopefully he'll continue to get minutes. He could turn out to be the real steal of that trade, especially if KCP continues his inconsistent play. If this isn't all smoke and mirrors and Bullock is the 3 and D players he appears to be, I could see him cutting into both of their time.

As for the backup PG, SVG has said that Blake will return and play 20-25 minutes Friday night. Hopefully he doesn't look too lost after missing so much time because I really think we're going to need to rely on him for those 18 minutes a night when Reggie is resting. Dinwiddie just isn't ready.

Yeah, I don't mind seeing SJ getting the Harden treatment. Obviously it's a different situation here than in OKC but if he could play similar minutes as the starters and gain SVG's trust enough to have him in down the stretch, that would be pretty ideal for his 1st season.

I still think that he finds his way into the starting lineup before seasons' end but coming in as the lead guy off the bench in the meantime won't be the worst thing in the world.

Bullock seems intriguing, his shooting numbers look really solid and it appears based on the statsheets that he has clearly outplayed Meeks. Haven't seen a minute of his play but it would be great if the Pistons found a diamond in the rough in Bullock. For those who have seen him, how is his defense?

Edited by NYLion

For those who have seen him, how is his defense?

Very good. He has the length, quickness, and hustle. Obviously it's a small sample size, but I've been impressed by his defense.

Does anyone see this team finishing above .500?

I do. They were a .500 team after they dropped Smith last year, so I see that at as the baseline. From there, not all of these things will happen but if just a couple of them do then we should be over .500:

-- Morris and Johnson prove to be an upgrade from Butler and Prince (this will be true).

-- Drummond, KCP, and/or Jackson get a bit better due to natural maturation of their game. Let's not forget that our team is young and still improving.

-- Meeks doesn't miss three months of season and wind up in a year long slump from the three point line.

-- We don't have season ending injuries, major trades, and lineup overhauls throughout the year like we did last year.

-- The pieces fit SVGs system better than the pieces we had last year (defense, spacing on offense, pick n roll play, etc).

-- Jennings returns and adds some value to the backup PG mix.

That said, I don't think we'll be .500 right out of the gate. We have a tough opening month of away games and playoff teams to face along with a bunch of guys who need to build some chemistry because many of them have never played a regular season game in a Piston uniform.

Haven't seen a lot of preseason, but Drummond looks a bit quicker on his first step...hopefully, that will translate into some offense beyond lobs and putbacks

Very good. He has the length, quickness, and hustle. Obviously it's a small sample size, but I've been impressed by his defense.

I do. They were a .500 team after they dropped Smith last year, so I see that at as the baseline. From there, not all of these things will happen but if just a couple of them do then we should be over .500:

-- Morris and Johnson prove to be an upgrade from Butler and Prince (this will be true).

-- Drummond, KCP, and/or Jackson get a bit better due to natural maturation of their game. Let's not forget that our team is young and still improving.

-- Meeks doesn't miss three months of season and wind up in a year long slump from the three point line.

-- We don't have season ending injuries, major trades, and lineup overhauls throughout the year like we did last year.

-- The pieces fit SVGs system better than the pieces we had last year (defense, spacing on offense, pick n roll play, etc).

-- Jennings returns and adds some value to the backup PG mix.

That said, I don't think we'll be .500 right out of the gate. We have a tough opening month of away games and playoff teams to face along with a bunch of guys who need to build some chemistry because many of them have never played a regular season game in a Piston uniform.

I dont see it. The only thing that gives me hope is that svg is a really good coach. I dont see much from meeks. Jennings is done as a productive player, imo.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised about jackson, right now im worried he cant shoot. Same with stanley. Teams will pack the paint and play off jackson and dare him to shoot, and reggie will definitely shoot.

Otoh, im not sold on amyone else in the east getting a lot better either. Maybe milwaukee? Orlando?

Thanks. It's hard to take too much from preseason but it seems like Bullock could be an overachiever for this team.

As for this team finishing .500, I'd say it's possible in an extraordinarily weak east. I don't think it's far fetched to say that the #8/#9 teams in the west would battle for #2 in the east.

The Pistons are a 50 loss team in the west but I could see them loading up on wins against the weaker sisters of the east so .500 is possible. 39-43 is my gun to the head guess if I had to pick a number.

I do like the potential of the young core but there's no superstar in that group and the supporting cast on paper looks pretty marginal.

Bullock looked really good again last night in extended minutes against Atlanta. He can shoot, finish at the rim, and play defense. He's looking like a real nice find. I've liked his play more than both Meeks and KCP so far.

Blake returned and really showed his skill as well. He racked up a dozen assists, making some truly brilliant bounce passes in the lane, one handed bullet passes, and even one behind the back. His shot was a bit short, but he really showed his command of the offense.

Dinwiddie actually had a very nice game last night as well. He was aggressive and making the right the plays. Maybe Blake coming back lit a fire under him.

Johnson was excellent as well, dropping 20 points including a posterizing dunk in traffic.

Atlanta really had no answer to our ball movement and hot shooting. I guess we'll see what happens for real next Tuesday when we face them again with both of our real starting lineups.

Does anyone see this team finishing above .500?

I think if they can tread water the first 20 games or so, they will come in above 500. Many reasons they will be there.

- SVG's got more shooters to play his preferred system

- Drummond/KCP are still improving.

- Jackson will be running the point for a full year

- Morris/Ilyasova/Johnson, improve the SF position add depth and rotational options.

- Should be better at all positions but PF.

- Jennings/Blake will really be able to utilize the added depth on the 2nd unit.

Pistons should be much better, unless Drummond or Jackson go down.