Sydney_Fife

'15/'16 Pistons Training Camp/Preseason

Looks like Bullock made a strong case to make the roster last night. Did he also begin a run at Meeks' PT? Definite defensive upgrade, more versatility to the lineup. He'll need to keep showing out, but I'm pulling for him. I can't remember a time when the Pistons had so many legit 3pt shooters.

Dinwiddie put up a nice line last night, love the 8 dimes and low TO off the bench. SJ just keeps bringing it. Has anyone ever won ROY and 6th man of the year?

I think I'd go Morris coming off the bench at both F spots, but either way.

I think I'd go Morris coming off the bench at both F spots, but either way.

Just dont like Ilyasova's defense. A 5 of Jackson, KCP, Johnson, Morris and Drummond can defend pretty well.

Nice write-up on Bullock here.

Reggie is 7/15 (5/12 3pt) with 20 pts, 5 reb, 4 ast and 0 to in 37 minutes so far--not bad!

Bullock was billed as a capable, catch-and-shoot (44% as a junior, his last year at UNC) role player coming out of UNC by Draft Express. SVG needs guys to spread the floor, and in an ultra-small sample size Bullock has outperformed his limited billing. If SVG is willing to play small ball a major percentage of the time, could Tolliver become expendable?

Thomas will get some run on WED, read it somewhere. I'm not crazy about Thomas as anything but a guy to keep in GR just in case. Reminds me a bit of DaJuan Summers with less length mostly due to questionable shot selection.

Pistons lose to Indy last night. Paul George went off in the first quarter and then didn't play for the rest of the game. Pistons took the lead in the 3rd, but lost it in the 4th when Stan took out Reggie (17 pts, 7 assits, 5 rebeounds) and Andre (17 points, 21 rebounds).

Jennings has nothing to worry about because his spot is safe when he comes back. Dinwiddie is not a threat to overtake him at all. Pretty sure we'll see Blake take that backup spot if he's ready soon. Spencer just doesn't have it. Maybe someday, but certainly not today. The offense just dies when he comes in the game.

Johnson had a solid game. He didn't shoot well, but got to the line 7 times and grabbed 6 boards to go along with his 16 points. He had a pretty sweet reverse dunk as well.

Pistons lose to Indy last night. Paul George went off in the first quarter and then didn't play for the rest of the game. Pistons took the lead in the 3rd, but lost it in the 4th when Stan took out Reggie (17 pts, 7 assits, 5 rebeounds) and Andre (17 points, 21 rebounds).

Jennings has nothing to worry about because his spot is safe when he comes back. Dinwiddie is not a threat to overtake him at all. Pretty sure we'll see Blake take that backup spot if he's ready soon. Spencer just doesn't have it. Maybe someday, but certainly not today. The offense just dies when he comes in the game.

Johnson had a solid game. He didn't shoot well, but got to the line 7 times and grabbed 6 boards to go along with his 16 points. He had a pretty sweet reverse dunk as well.

That's pretty disappointing. I had high hopes that he would take over that backup spot in preseason.

Has all the physical gifts that you would want in a solid pro PG. I'm not giving up on him though.

Nice write-up on Bullock here.

Reggie is 7/15 (5/12 3pt) with 20 pts, 5 reb, 4 ast and 0 to in 37 minutes so far--not bad!

Bullock was billed as a capable, catch-and-shoot (44% as a junior, his last year at UNC) role player coming out of UNC by Draft Express. SVG needs guys to spread the floor, and in an ultra-small sample size Bullock has outperformed his limited billing. ...

Is it time to move on from/ trade Meeks?

IMO, the answer to that is yes...

Meeks sure hasn't made a good case for himself as a Piston since we've signed him. If Bullock's play is for real right now, and SVG see's these guys every day, then maybe in the back of his mind he's looking for real solution at backup PG. Here's the thing:

--Jennings is far from a sure thing to come back either fast or a competent version of himself

--What does Blake have left in the tank? He kinda has been "good enough" in a few years, any reason to expect a bounce-back year at his age?

--Dinwiddie has shown more of the same from Summer League this pre-season. He has played himself right out of contention for burn in the near future. He needs to play heavy minutes in GR to develop further, IMO.

Trade Meeks for a real backup PG ASAP is the play here. It is the one gaping hole in the roster as it stands.

Meeks sure hasn't made a good case for himself as a Piston since we've signed him. If Bullock's play is for real right now, and SVG see's these guys every day, then maybe in the back of his mind he's looking for real solution at backup PG. Here's the thing:

--Jennings is far from a sure thing to come back either fast or a competent version of himself

--What does Blake have left in the tank? He kinda has been "good enough" in a few years, any reason to expect a bounce-back year at his age?

--Dinwiddie has shown more of the same from Summer League this pre-season. He has played himself right out of contention for burn in the near future. He needs to play heavy minutes in GR to develop further, IMO.

Trade Meeks for a real backup PG ASAP is the play here. It is the one gaping hole in the roster as it stands.

That was EXACTLY my thinking...

Keep Bullock as backup SG and develop Hilliard there as the 3rd guy... Maybe even make room to slot Thomas in as backup SF behind Morris and SJ...

Backup PG looks like a serious weakness right now. Until BJ gets back, and that's only for the last half of this year...

And Meeks defense sucks. I prefer Bullock's 3 & D over Meeks' experience...

I'm going to guess SVG doesn't agree with that though. At least not yet. Based on holding onto experience, I think he waits until at least mid-season or off-season before pulling the plug on Meeks...

Went to the game last night. As a bulls note, every in game promo involves jimmy butler. The bulls have transitioned from rose...finally. rose is the most depolorable player in the nba.

Drummond looked good. Had some touch on the baby hook.

Bullock looked good.

Stanley looked like a rookie. Getting no calls at all. But he hustled and played hard.

Reggie didnt look good. Couldnt shoot.

Kcp looked like he didnt want to shoot and seemed like him and butler were going back and forth a bit.

Morris looked pretty good. Nice shot.

I left early to take the kid home and they blew the doors off them in the 4th. They hustled the whole game. Very stan van gundy-ish. Liked it.

I had to listen to the game again because none of these are televised, so maybe some slightly different perspective:

Johnson finally looked mortal, but still contributed. After listening to the last two games and comparing them to the previous games, I think I prefer him coming off the bench where he can be the alpha dog. In the starting lineup it's all about Reggie dominating the ball with Drummond in the pick n roll, surrounded by spot up shooters. Stanley has more to his game than that and I think he gets the chance to show it when he comes off the bench. Ilyasova works better in that starting lineup because he's a 40% 3pt shooter.

Morris has looked solid. 17 points in 18 minutes last night after a really solid game the night before. It's clear that he's a huge upgrade from Butler and Prince on the offensive end. His defense is average, but a walking corpse could play better defense than Butler/Prince, so it's still going to be a slight upgrade in that area as well.

For all the Meeks haters - he finally had a good game!

Bullock has won the roster spot. If it wasn't clear before last night, it should be crystal clear now. 17 points on 7 for 8 shooting including 3 of 4 from the three point line. He's showing us something.

I realize it's preseason, but the Bulls showed some of what I've been talking about when I say they're going to take a step back this year. Don't get me wrong, they'll still be a playoff team, but in the East it's Cleveland and a whole bunch of teams with question marks. The loss of Thibbs is a huge blow to the defense that they've built their name on over the past few years. Nobody is sure how Gasol and Noah are going to work together in the lineup if they're both healthy (sound like a familiar issue?), and last night did nothing to answer those questions. And now we're hearing that Rose won't be back to start the season. I listened to a Chicago beat writer on NBA radio this morning and he echoed my thoughts - apparently some people in Chicago are thinking the same things I am.

Gotta keep Meeks for now IMO. I don't know what you are going to get for him anyways. Bullocks and Hilliard haven't shown me enough. I still think Meeks has potential as an off the bench shooter/scorer

I am bummed out I have not been able to watch any of these games yet.

You can find streams for them, be careful though some make you install insidious software.

But yea, this whole Pistons.com crap is BS, I thought they were supposed to have all the pre-season games, last two I've tried there with no show.

Went to the game last night. As a bulls note, every in game promo involves jimmy butler. The bulls have transitioned from rose...finally. rose is the most depolorable player in the nba.

Drummond looked good. Had some touch on the baby hook.

Bullock looked good.

Stanley looked like a rookie. Getting no calls at all. But he hustled and played hard.

Reggie didnt look good. Couldnt shoot.

Kcp looked like he didnt want to shoot and seemed like him and butler were going back and forth a bit.

Morris looked pretty good. Nice shot.

I left early to take the kid home and they blew the doors off them in the 4th. They hustled the whole game. Very stan van gundy-ish. Liked it.

What did you think of Portis? I saw him a few nights ago against Denver and he looked like a legit NBA scorer and rebounder. Kinda like a poor man's Melo.

I had to listen to the game again because none of these are televised, so maybe some slightly different perspective:

Johnson finally looked mortal, but still contributed. After listening to the last two games and comparing them to the previous games, I think I prefer him coming off the bench where he can be the alpha dog. In the starting lineup it's all about Reggie dominating the ball with Drummond in the pick n roll, surrounded by spot up shooters. Stanley has more to his game than that and I think he gets the chance to show it when he comes off the bench. Ilyasova works better in that starting lineup because he's a 40% 3pt shooter.

Morris has looked solid. 17 points in 18 minutes last night after a really solid game the night before. It's clear that he's a huge upgrade from Butler and Prince on the offensive end. His defense is average, but a walking corpse could play better defense than Butler/Prince, so it's still going to be a slight upgrade in that area as well.

For all the Meeks haters - he finally had a good game!

Bullock has won the roster spot. If it wasn't clear before last night, it should be crystal clear now. 17 points on 7 for 8 shooting including 3 of 4 from the three point line. He's showing us something.

I realize it's preseason, but the Bulls showed some of what I've been talking about when I say they're going to take a step back this year. Don't get me wrong, they'll still be a playoff team, but in the East it's Cleveland and a whole bunch of teams with question marks. The loss of Thibbs is a huge blow to the defense that they've built their name on over the past few years. Nobody is sure how Gasol and Noah are going to work together in the lineup if they're both healthy (sound like a familiar issue?), and last night did nothing to answer those questions. And now we're hearing that Rose won't be back to start the season. I listened to a Chicago beat writer on NBA radio this morning and he echoed my thoughts - apparently some people in Chicago are thinking the same things I am.

When jackson is on the court its all about jackson. Stanley looked strong. Posted up dougie mcbuckets as soon as he could.

Mcdermott looks like what everyone said he was: a shooter with 0 defense. Maybe -10 defense.

Bulls are a mess in the lockeroom. Its butler's team now but rose is still there malingering and saying incoherent **** every other day. The players arent so quick to defend him anymore, they see what he's become.

Bulls are a mess in the lockeroom. Its butler's team now but rose is still there malingering and saying incoherent **** every other day. The players arent so quick to defend him anymore, they see what he's become.

I've been hearing this as well (yes, I listen to way too much NBA radio/tv). Sounds like those two are clashing for big dog rights on the team. But, from what I hear, most of the Chicago area still loves Rose which probably makes it hard on management to side with the guy who's clearly the future (Butler). Then you also have Rose talking about Free Agency already even though it's two years away. Add that fuel to the fire of the other issues (defense, new coach, player fit, etc) and like I've said, I think Chicago has some major questions going into this year. In my opinion, a lot of national media members who think they're just going to slot right in there at the #2 spot without skipping a beat are crazy.

But yea, this whole Pistons.com crap is BS, I thought they were supposed to have all the pre-season games, last two I've tried there with no show.

They're only streaming the home games.

The whole TV setup makes me angry. I would love to dump cable but I can't even pay for League Pass and get the games because they're all blacked out due to Fox Sports exclusive rights in the area.

Edited by Betrayer

If they didn't black out local games, then the value on the rights to broadcast local games would take a major hit as many fans would just go the League Pass route and drop cable.

I know I would drop cable if I could just get the local sports teams games.

If they didn't black out local games, then the value on the rights to broadcast local games would take a major hit as many fans would just go the League Pass route and drop cable.

I know I would drop cable if I could just get the local sports teams games.

They should offer a package that does not require cable, like HBO GO does.