Sydney_Fife

'15/'16 Pistons Training Camp/Preseason

Pistons up 102-97 with 5:48 left.

KCP and Johnson really impressing. Like what I have seen from Bullock. Meeks is still terrible on defense. Definitely think Bullock makes the roster and could challenge for PT with his defense and spot up shooting ability.

They lose in the end. But that's not the story here. Johnson had 26 points. He also played the point for most of the 3rd when the Pistons scored 39 points.

Dinwiddie didn't have a good night. He was the only healthy PG.

Gotta love the early returns on KCP and SJ here. Drummond's more polished, as he should be.

If SJ comes off the bench this year he's gonna kill it against reserves, not a terrible plan for year 1.

Indiana Pacers vs. Detroit Pistons - Box Score - October 06, 2015 - ESPN

Box score for game 1. Pistons ended up losing 115-112, but the preseason doesnt count and the results arent really the story. KCP and Stanley looked great.

Agree he will be starting- I think the lineup very soon will be Jackson, KCP, Johnson, Morris and Drummond. That allows for Ilyasova to come off the bench.

Box score for game 1. Pistons ended up losing 115-112, but the preseason doesnt count and the results arent really the story. KCP and Stanley looked great.

Agree he will be starting- I think the lineup very soon will be Jackson, KCP, Johnson, Morris and Drummond. That allows for Ilyasova to come off the bench.

Swap Ersan and Morris and I agree with you.

Are any of the preseason games on TV?

Are any of the preseason games on TV?

I thought I saw that one of them would be, but cannot find that information. I did a bit of searching yesterday, but found nothing.

My guess is that it would be one of the home games, but I suppose it doesn't necessarily have to be a home game.

Hope I helped out. :grin:

No sign of Del in this thread yet? Maybe he has had enough and moved onto a different franchise...

I need to see KCP play consistently well for two months strait during the regular season before I begin to trust him. He really let me down last year.

I need to see KCP play consistently well for two months strait during the regular season before I begin to trust him. He really let me down last year.

Really let you down? I thought he produced pretty well for a 21 year old kid. He showed the potential as a 3 point shooter and defender that we drafted him for. I like his motor as well. He's not going to become a go to scorer or anything, but he seems like he has a good chance to become a pretty damn good 2 way SG in this league to me.

I agree with most of what Nas has to say on this.

Anyone remember how mediocre Allen Houston was as a rookie? I know we tend to remember him as the stud shooter with the 40" vert and plus handles that left us for big NYK money, but he was a letdown when he came to Detroit. This is a guy who averaged 20 PTS+ all four years at Tennessee, putting up a career 42.4 3pt % along the way--a much more complete player than KCP coming out of college, not to mention older. Yes, he was misused by Cheney. But still shot terrible for a guy billed as an elite shooter coming out of school.

Point? Only a few guys, few shooters, hit the ground running in the NBA. These toddlers, by in large, just aren't ready for the roles they receive. Emotionally or on a skills level. KCP is a shy kid from a town of 875 mostly poor people in GA, some 45 miles NNE of Columbus. His entire county had 22K people. AAU travel and two years of UGA help a lot, but to be sure he's still growing up.

KCP doesn't have Houston's talent, nor does he have his polish, but the kid is still young as all get out. He showed an incremental improvement last year, and SVG has billed him as the top performer in camp after working on his handles and conditioning all summer. I still maintain KCP can become something like an Eddie Jones-type if he continues to work hard. Jones, a 3x AS/3x 2nd-team All-Defense selection, was 23 as a rookie and still older than KCP--who is entering his 3rd year in the L.

Sure, SJ enters the scene this year at 19 and he's looking like the next Paul Pierce right out of the box. Hear him talk and he sounds like a 10-year vet. This guy is the EXCEPTION, but for some reason we expect our draft choices to be just like this in Y1. The kids we watch are all different, born into different circumstances, playing in different environments. SJ is a classic alpha--we don't see too much of that around here. Zeke, Laimbeer, Chauncey, Lanier, Bing. SJ is next, and not because he does anything especially well. It is because he refuses to do anything average.

While I refuse to compare skill levels at this point, SJ and KCP could potentially have a Zeke/Dumars-type of dynamic. SJ the outspoken sparkplug, KCP the silent, defensive workhorse. Sure, it is a leap but the potential exists. We'll have to see how Jackson and SJ co-exist long-term, because I can really see these two clashing once they start together. I hope I'm wrong.

I was at the game last night as it was pretty rough. The first half turnovers were out of control (18 of them) and the shooting was terrible because guys weren't making the next pass. Our first option broke down because of the tight defense and we resorted to one on one ball. On the other, the Nets are already starting to look like a Lionel Hollins team. They played excellent defense and really got into us. It was a bit disappointing.

Reggie looked rusty as you'd expect in his first game. He had a few nice moments, but he still had way too many moments where he needed to make the decision one second earlier and instead wound up in a double team because he picked up the ball after the screen. It's the single thing he does that drives me absolutely crazy and he does it way too often. He had 6 turnovers and 6 assists.

After a terrible first half (0 points, 4 rebounds) Drummond picked it up in the second half and ended with a double double. Still, I expected him to look leaner and more energetic based upon the off-season reports and he absolutely did not. I'm not sure where it's going to come from, but that kid needs to find some game-day intensity and some off the court workout ethic or he's never going to reach the heights people expect. Outside of finishing a few nice alley-oops, Drummond was not impressive. Brook Lopez outplayed him in every facet including energy.

Dinwiddie was serviceable, but he's either still too raw or simply isn't the guy. Every time I see him play I'm less and less convinced that he's a full time backup PG in the league. Maybe he'll come along, but we really need Blake and/or Jennings back if we're going to push for the playoffs this year.

Stanley played well and stuffed the stat sheet with 12 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks. He wasn't as spectacular as the other night, but he was still very good. This kid has a chance at rookie of the year if he gets the playing time. I'm impressed with his poise out there as well. He carries himself like a vet.

Ilyasova was another bright spot with 15 points, 7 rebounds, and 2 steals in just 24 minutes. He was hustling all night and looked really solid. I think he's going to help this team a bunch.

Morris didn't get a lot of run, but played well also. He operated out of the post a couple of times and showed that he can do that pretty well. That will definitely help us fill some of the Monroe gap.

KCP was basically a non-factor. He needs to find a way to be more consistent.

Tolliver was terrible. I'm not sure why he earned 24 minutes but I'm hoping that during the season Ilyasova gets around 30 minutes and Morris gets another 10 at PF so we can get Stanley 30 minutes on the court while limiting Tolliver to around 8 minutes a game.

On a side note, I'm still waiting to see this new pick n roll defense I've been hearing so much about. Last night they played the pick n roll exactly the same as always, using the hard hedge from the big man.

Really let you down? I thought he produced pretty well for a 21 year old kid. He showed the potential as a 3 point shooter and defender that we drafted him for. I like his motor as well. He's not going to become a go to scorer or anything, but he seems like he has a good chance to become a pretty damn good 2 way SG in this league to me.

Can't complain about his defense. But his offense is quite a bit behind where I thought he would be at this point. ESPN scouting report on his offense pretty much sums it up:

With a WARP that was still below replacement level, there is plenty of room for growth. Caldwell-Pope's usage rate improved by 5.5 percent over his rookie season but is still below average for a guard. That might not be so bad, but with a true shooting percentage of just .501 Caldwell-Pope provides neither efficiency nor volume on offense. He shot less than league average from deep and, per Synergy, rated in just the 48th percentile on catch-and-shoot opportunities. While Caldwell-Pope doesn't turn the ball over much, he's not a creator. He's pretty good off the dribble if he can get to the hoop, though his overall finishing rate at the rim is below average. He shies away from contact, rating in the 29th percentile league-wide in terms of drawing fouls.

That is not to say he is done improving or can't still live up to expectations. But plenty of young players show more potential at a young age than he has.

A dud of a second preseason game. Lost 93-83

Box- Brooklyn Nets vs. Detroit Pistons - Box Score - October 08, 2015 - ESPN

A reminder that they went 5-2 last year in the preseason and started the regular season 5-23. Lol.

I am looking at individual stats more than final scores at this point. Looks like Stanley Johnson had another really nice game and Ilyasova played decent. Other than that though, I think your description of a dud fits pretty good.

Absolutely crushed the Bucks last night. Nice box score. They really cleaned it from the previous game.

Looks like Bullock made a strong case to make the roster last night. Did he also begin a run at Meeks' PT? Definite defensive upgrade, more versatility to the lineup. He'll need to keep showing out, but I'm pulling for him. I can't remember a time when the Pistons had so many legit 3pt shooters.

Dinwiddie put up a nice line last night, love the 8 dimes and low TO off the bench. SJ just keeps bringing it. Has anyone ever won ROY and 6th man of the year?

Detroit Pistons vs. Milwaukee Bucks - Box Score - October 10, 2015 - ESPN

They blow out the Bucks in Milwaukee. Definitely agree on Bullock... Intrigued by him. If Meeks struggles again with his shot I can definitely see Bullock taking minutes away.

I know I may be jumping the gun but I would really like to see SJ start. Morris is a better fit at the 4 and it allows Ilyasova to come off the bench where he is a much more natural fit. If we play Morris and Ersan at the 4 it also limits Tolliver's minutes... And gives Bullock a chance to back up at the 3.