Sydney_Fife

'15/'16 Pistons Training Camp/Preseason

Back to basketball! Pistons' Media Day is Monday with camp opening up on Tuesday. Figured we could keep all discussion about camp and the 8 preseason games consolidated into one thread until the season starts. Hope everyone had a good summer!

Preseason schedule

10/6 Pacers L

10/8 Nets L

10/10 @ Bucks W

10/13 @ Pacers 7:00

10/14 @ Bulls 8:00

10/18 @ Spurs 4:00

10/21 Hornets 7:30

10/23 Hawks 7:30

Regular season begins on October 27!

Training camp roster: Roster | Detroit Pistons

Add in Eric Griffin and Jordan Bachynski to form a 20 man camp roster. Jennings not healthy yet so 19. Will be interesting to see how the Bullock, Martin, Granger logjam shapes out.

Edited by Sydney_Fife

Looks like Granger is going to stay in PXH to undergo further PT for his injuries. Probably not a good sign for any Granger fans hoping for a career resurgence.

Man am I excited for this season. Can't wait til the games actually start.

SVG has done a heck of job in just over 12 months making the Pistons core something worth being excited about. This should be a .500 team or better. This is a playoff year folks.

Looks like Granger is going to stay in PXH to undergo further PT for his injuries. Probably not a good sign for any Granger fans hoping for a career resurgence.

Always liked Granger. If he was healthy he would definitely make this roster. But man, at 32 and after years of perpetual, never ending injuries, I just dont see him sticking.

That probably leaves Hilliard, Martin, Bullock and Thomas battling for the last 2 spots. I would take Bullock for sure and whatever on the 15th guy, lol. Hilliard could be assigned to GR without much threat of someone signing him, right?

Man am I excited for this season. Can't wait til the games actually start.

SVG has done a heck of job in just over 12 months making the Pistons core something worth being excited about. This should be a .500 team or better. This is a playoff year folks.

Yeah I definitely think this is their best team in a while. For me the East looks like this:

Cleveland

Chicago (Healthy D Rose)

Miami (Healthy D Wade)

Toronto

Atlanta

Washington

After that I think the Pistons can compete with Milwaukee, Indiana, Charlotte, Boston, etc. Im not sold on the Bucks. I think they're going to regress this season... Same with Atlanta.

Edited by Sydney_Fife

Milwaukee likely gets better IMO, but health is always a factor. Jabari has to bounce back. We'll see them with a full season of MCW too, so that could be a detriment.

Pretty pumped about this season as well. It's so refreshing without the Smith and Monroe black clouds hanging over the organization and I really like the young core of Drummond, Jackson, Johnson and Pope. There will be some growing pains but it's going to be a fun team to watch.

They should be in that group battling for the 7-8 playoff spots (Milwaukee, Indiana, Boston) as there seems to be a clear top 6 (more of a 2-6 really after Cleveland) although I could see one of Atlanta or Miami (depending on Wade's health) dropping out of that 2nd tier group.

Edited by NYLion

Pretty pumped about this season as well. It's so refreshing without the Smith and Monroe black clouds hanging over the organization and I really like the young core of Drummond, Jackson, Johnson and Pope. There will be some growing pains but it's going to be a fun team to watch.

They should be in that group battling for the 7-8 playoff spots (Milwaukee, Indiana, Boston) as there seems to be a clear top 6 (more of a 2-6 really after Cleveland) although I could see one of Atlanta or Miami (depending on Wade's health) dropping out of that 2nd tier group.

I really like our core as well. We likely don't have a potential superstar in the group, and that's always a concern, but we have 4 players who I believe have at least all star potential and all 4 IMO have potential to contribute on both ends of the floor. Jackson's D needs to improve though. For some reason I believe it will.

I really like our core as well. We likely don't have a potential superstar in the group, and that's always a concern, but we have 4 players who I believe have at least all star potential and all 4 IMO have potential to contribute on both ends of the floor. Jackson's D needs to improve though. For some reason I believe it will.

I think Jackson has a chance to be a superstar, maybe not elite of the elite but potentially knocking on the door of top 5 pgs. He just seems like a guy primed to take a huge leap forward in development.

A lot depends on him improving the outside shot and as you said, improving his defense which I think will come because he has shown spurts of lockdown D and has the frame and length to be a real disruptor.

He's already one of the best in the league at getting to the hoop and setting up teammates. Tons of potential there.

Chicago (Healthy D Rose)

Well, that didn't take long:

Derrick Rose suffers orbital fracture near eye, surgery Wednesday |

The Pistons are a young team, but there's reason to think they can compete for a spot between 4 and 6. Look at the fact that they went .500 after kicking Smith to the curb. That was good enough for the #6 spot last year without any improvement. That should be the floor for this team since they did that with some major roster upheaval last year. This year will bring more team cohesion, chemistry, and we should see some improvement simply due to maturity of these young players. Now add to that the fact that you have a team now built to run Stan's playbook, you've greatly improved your SF position, Meeks won't miss the first 3 months of the season, you've added talent/depth to your bench, and you'll have a full offseason and training camp with a stable roster.

In my opinion the East is up for grabs after Cleveland. A lot of the teams people are calling locks have some major question marks.

-Chicago with D Rose's health and people underestimating the impact of Thibodeau's loss on a team that was built on defense.

-Miami's health issues and people just not realizing that Lebron left because without his shoulders to carry that team, they're a 5-8 seed at best.

-Did Toronto really get better by overpaying for Carroll while losing their starting PF and the 6th-man of the year? They started strong but got exposed.

-Did Atlanta get better after being exposed in the playoffs and losing Carroll?

-For Washington how much is riding on Nene's health in the paint?

-How does Monroe's poor defense, ball stopping play, and slow feet mesh with an athletic/defensive team? Will they actually improve as a result? Is Parker even healthy?

-What do the Pacers have beyond a Paul George that has yet to show he's back? They've lost Stephenson and Hibbert since they were last a good team.

Some of these questions will play out in the Pistons' favor and some won't, but overall the East looks pretty vulnerable to me. There's no reason we can't be in the mix at #4-#6 in our conference. That would definitely turn some heads and likely get Drummond and Jackson All-Star reserve selections since their numbers are going to be career bests due to Stan's system and the loss of Monroe.

I think Jackson has a chance to be a superstar, maybe not elite of the elite but potentially knocking on the door of top 5 pgs. He just seems like a guy primed to take a huge leap forward in development.

A lot depends on him improving the outside shot and as you said, improving his defense which I think will come because he has shown spurts of lockdown D and has the frame and length to be a real disruptor.

He's already one of the best in the league at getting to the hoop and setting up teammates. Tons of potential there.

He's supposedly done a ton of work on his 3 ball this offseason. We shall see if it actually pays dividends.t

Not sure if he hits superstar or not. Becoming Kyle Lowry probably makes me happy. Ideally he's about halfway between Lowry and Wall IMO

Edited by Nastradamus

Yeah I definitely think this is their best team in a while. For me the East looks like this:

Cleveland

Chicago (Healthy D Rose)

Miami (Healthy D Wade)

Toronto

Atlanta

Washington

After that I think the Pistons can compete with Milwaukee, Indiana, Charlotte, Boston, etc. Im not sold on the Bucks. I think they're going to regress this season... Same with Atlanta.

Yea, I see the improvement for the future, however they still may not make the playoffs this year. Lot's of up and coming teams in the east.

Orlando probably will be much improved as well, Skiles is one of those coaches who can get quick results (Doug Collins) and they have talent.

Drummond is a potential super star, I can see him hitting 20/15 this year. That is actually what the Pistons have over many of the other middling teams, Boston/Toronto/Milwaukee/Charlotte etc.

Drummond is a potential super star, I can see him hitting 20/15 this year. That is actually what the Pistons have over many of the other middling teams, Boston/Toronto/Milwaukee/Charlotte etc.

I'm cool with calling Drummond a potential superstar, but I don't know how likely he is to hit that potential. Both his O and D need to take big steps to be a true superstar and not a Deandre Jordan(which would also be fine in the grand scheme of things)

Andre Drummond has blown way past Deandre Jordan, he's comparable to Dwight Howard per 36.

Andre Drummond - 16.3/15.9/2.2 - best season age 21 year, 3rd season pro.

Dwight Howard - 17.2/12/1.9 - age 21 year, 3rd season pro.

Deandre Jordan - 12.1/15.6/2.3 - best season age 27, 7th season pro.

Drummond is pretty good right now in his raw/project years. He will be superstar shortly, D Howard made his big jump in his 4th year.

No one is mentioning Ilyasova. Will he be starting in Monroe's spot?

SVG says that's the plan, but we'll see if Ilyasova can stay healthy.

Andre Drummond has blown way past Deandre Jordan, he's comparable to Dwight Howard per 36.

Andre Drummond - 16.3/15.9/2.2 - best season age 21 year, 3rd season pro.

Dwight Howard - 17.2/12/1.9 - age 21 year, 3rd season pro.

Deandre Jordan - 12.1/15.6/2.3 - best season age 27, 7th season pro.

Drummond is pretty good right now in his raw/project years. He will be superstar shortly, D Howard made his big jump in his 4th year.

That's true and I've said the same before. Deandre is a lazy comparison but I can't find a better one to make my point lol. Basically, Drummond is elite as a rebounder, efficient offensively and far less of a defender than he should be given his physical talents, all of which can be said about Deandre. The difference with Dwight is that not only was he a better scorer, he was an elite defender by this point, where as Drummond is closer to average.

A lot of talk this off-season about SVG changing a lot of things on defense, in particular how they guard the pick n' roll. I'm really curious to see it in action. From what I've read it sounds like they're going to go away from the big showing hard on the screen, which makes me happy. I've always hated how far it pulls your slowest, biggest guy from the basket and often winds up getting in the way of the defender trying to recover rather than impeding the ball handler. They talk about using a secondary guard/wing to come over and prevent the three in those situations, but I'm curious how that will work against teams like San Antonio and Atlanta that like to really spread you out. Regardless, the goal here is to keep the big man closer to the basket at all times, which will be crucial for our rebounding and paint defense since we won't really be playing with any size at the PF.

Also this article talks about how tougher and more gritty practice has been this year with guys not holding back. Apparently Marcus Morris has already earned the nickname "Deebo" for being a bully - I wasn't sure, but now I'm thinking I might actually like having him on the team:

Detroit Pistons notes: Training camp goes defense; Marcus Morris acquires a nickname | MLive.com

And on a somewhat related note, Steve Blake is out for a while due to a concussion suffered in practice. Some other guys are bruised up. Stanley played some PG in practice and apparently did pretty well:

Pistons dealing with handful of injuries in camp

CBS power rankings have Pistons at 23rd, beaten out by teams such as Knicks, Nuggets, Pacers, Kings, and Celtics. Clearly people are looking at last year's record rather than the post Josh Smith record. We're going to surprise some people:

NBA Power Rankings: Rockets jump into top five, Blazers bottom out - NBA - CBSSports.com

Discussion of how the Pistons could be better through addition by subtraction of Monroe based upon last year's offensive and defensive ratings with and without him:

51Q: How much will a roster that fits Stan Van Gundy boost the Pistons? | ProBasketballTalk

Good story about how much money Gores is pumping into the franchise. There were some major improvements last season and there are even more this season. As a season ticket holder I love seeing this stuff:

Pistons spiff up Palace amenities to boost comfort

Ok, yes, I'm a bit excited for the season to start.

First game tonight! Unfortunately I'm not going to the game and I'm not sure if the League Pass preview (they're doing that this year, right?) will be blacked out even though it's preseason and the game isn't picked up by local TV. That would be really lame.

It is being streamed on Pistons.com

59-52 Pacers at half. PG13 killing us. 20 points in the first quarter.

KCP, Andre and Johnson looked good. Dinwiddie looks like a D League guy.